turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Primos Rocker Vest

Started by JHoyle, March 02, 2017, 08:16:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tail Feathers

We'll be anxiously awaiting your review!
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

JHoyle

Spent all wknd in mine and all I can say is wow. Very impressed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TauntoHawk

I dive into my impressions and pictures of the vest itself when I get it.. I'll report back once it's been used in the field but that'll be a little 4.5wks until Nebraska but it'll get it's share of miles out there and I imagine the seat anywhere will be a more useful feature out there than the hardwoods of the northeast

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Tail Feathers

Quote from: JHoyle on March 14, 2017, 03:51:01 AM
Spent all wknd in mine and all I can say is wow. Very impressed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good to know!
TH, I used my Bucklick Creek in Nebraska and it was very handy to have your own seat with a back there.  Good luck this spring gentlemen!

TauntoHawk

I got the vest just a few minutes ago, my season is still a month from hunting so I won't have a field proven review for a while but tomorrow I will give an impression review with pics tomorrow.

I see some love hate things right away so I will report back

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Flintdiver

Cheaper Than dirt - $76 plus $24 shipped to me, I ordered the MO Obsession in M/L. I'm about 5'9" and around 185. I got an email from them over the weekend saying it shipped out, I'll let ya know !

TauntoHawk

So I got the vest in this past weekend, also went through cheaper than dirt... A bit less than $100 with shipping and tax

So on to the review.

Sizing: I ordered the M/L which is the smallest size they offer. I am 5'6" 150 and the vest fits fine with everything cinched down lots of extra straps but the vest doesn't seem overly large when on and actually the seat and backrest then become plenty roomy.

Price: I'll call it an even $100 with shipping that's very competitively priced with other vests and cheaper than most vests that offer built in seating

Durability: no tell how well it will hold up in the field but seems well built. Fabric is a bit thinner than say the cabelas heavy duty fabric but that also makes the material lighter.

Pockets: They thought of everything here, if you lift up the one hatch there's actually a kitchen sink in there.. okay maybe not but they did a good job on pockets.

- 4 pot call pockets they are roomy for any size call, soft interior, and feature fully waterproof tapped zippers
- 4 striker slots, these are a bit tight for some strikers the lip on most 2 piece strikers make them a tad hard to slide in. Not sure if this will loosen up over time but they do seem to stay put in there. Its a tough line for strikers to fit easy but stay put. there is also a large horizontal pocket on the inside of the right side that would fit a bunch of strikers.
- 1 large box call pocket, pocket has a nice hard face to protect the box and waterproof zipper as well. Pocket is plenty big enough for just about any size short box. if I leave the top of the zipper open a long box fits half decent with just the end of the handle and paddle sticking out
- water bottle pocket, fits my favorite camo coffee thermos so that's a huge win (that sip of coffee while birds are gobbling all around and the sun is just cracking the sky is one of the best moments of any spring turkey hunt)
- large front accessory pocket, would fit a small box call/owl hooter/water bottle/gps.. I did try but a thermacell might fit well here
- flip down diaphragm call pocket, holds 4 and secures with a magnet
- Webbing area, this might seem worthless but will afford you to put whatever you want there thermacell, extra box call pcoket, Rangefinder, GPS anything with a clip
- behind the webbing there's a little stash pocket I see using this to slide a locator call when in use and I can stash it away in a zippered pocket when not in use
- Lots of pockets on the inside and extra large pockets on top, the top pockets also feature waterproof zippers. These have plenty of room for locator calls, scratch boxes, shells, snacks, extra strikers, knife.. just about anything
- Vest also features fleece lined hand warmer pockets, you southern boys might think that's crazy but I see frosty morning every year and even a few flurries this was one of my most pleasant surprises of the vest.
- The back of the vest not only features a full size game bag plenty big enough for a gobbler or decoy but also has a hydration pocket and port. there is also a large decoy stake pocket on the bottom that's a plus for anyone that's ever lost one or 5 of those. the hydration pocket I will probably use to store extra facemask and glove

Finally the Seat: I was originally worried about the extremely thin cushion compared to other vests and never really like the tubing style frame on kick stand vests like cabelas version. Impressions of the seat and back rest: The design is solid, I understand they didn't invent it but it works well. One of the main comfort issues with vests is the flat seat cushion that has your legs straight out on the ground and your back often almost vertical against a tree. Pull the straps tight and the seat allows you to comfortably get your legs just a few inches off the ground and supported as well as your back is set at whatever amount of lean you want. One thing with the bit oversized vest for my size is the back is big enough that if I slid down a bit I can comfortably rest my head and no frame in between the aluminum stays so its comfortable (can you say nap time). One thing I found when testing that I like over the gobbler lounger chair style is because of the ability to rock around a bit in the seat is easier to twist and move for shots back and to the sides than the chairs you kinda get stuck in. Once in the Seat, you can detached the shoulder straps throw them back over your shoulder and have the pockets disconnected that allows you to either lay them out or proper them against the your legs makes access really easy and convenient.

The vest seat flips up inside the back and connects with magnets its quick easy and will never fall down while walking through brush. The only issue I see with this design is that the bottom of the seat is what goes against your back so if it sits in mud or water that part is gonna sit against your back. The cushion is still thin but I think it might be surprisingly comfortable given the set up.

Ultimately, The vest is great its not a minimalist vest this is the bells and whistles type of vest loads of pocket and an excellent seat/back rest set up. as someone who has flip flopped vests, back packs with chairs, and even fanny packs trying to find the balance between comfortable and gear carry ability I'm excited to see how this stacks up but I like its promise so far. I won't have it in the woods for a little while but I think it'll work out great in both Nebraska and the North East timber.

I do have pics I can post as well and quick gear up trial I did with the pockets.

crenshawco

Nice write up Taunto. I echo most all of what you say. I've hunted mine a few times now and it's great in the field for me too.

You mentioned a pocket I haven't even found on mine yet. Where are the fleece lined handwarmer pockets? I haven't found those yet?

The only complaint I have so far is the striker specific pockets are small which you alluded to. I have several strikers that won't fit in them. There is a zipper pocket on the bottom right inside of the vest that is perfect for strikers though so that's where I've put mine.

Tail Feathers

I told myself I'd have to see it to buy it.
You guys sold me however, I just ordered mine.  Thanks for the reviews fellas. :icon_thumright:

TauntoHawk

Quote from: crenshawco on March 21, 2017, 11:02:30 AM
Nice write up Taunto. I echo most all of what you say. I've hunted mine a few times now and it's great in the field for me too.

You mentioned a pocket I haven't even found on mine yet. Where are the fleece lined handwarmer pockets? I haven't found those yet?

The only complaint I have so far is the striker specific pockets are small which you alluded to. I have several strikers that won't fit in them. There is a zipper pocket on the bottom right inside of the vest that is perfect for strikers though so that's where I've put mine.
The bottom back side of the main pocket compartment areas so immediately behind and underneath the webbing area ?and water bottom pockets. I tried it on and was just unzipping and zipping things and was like a pocket with no zipper that's dumb.... Ohhhhh are these fleece are these for my hands

Which for us northerners know that a vest really covers both jacket and pants pockets so where do you go with chilly hands.

I also wasn't thrilled with the striker holders but found the same inside pocket and figured they will probably end up in there with a scratch box or two. My hooks strikers with that thin smooth design fit really well so I will carry those in the designated holders which is fine as I like those strikers.

I very rarely find products that are worth their retail price in this market, like very rarely but I couldn't be happier at the price point on this vest

Quick dump and still had pockets empty.. strikers were in vest not shown

Seat,

Can see some naps happening pockets still accessible while seated but not cluttered on my chest or lap.

jk6140

Great reviews.  Looks like an a-1 vest.  I will have to start shopping.

REBELYELL

Rzrbac

I certainly like the idea of a hydration bladder.  All my packs have that capability, will this vest hold a 3L?

TauntoHawk

Quote from: Rzrbac on March 24, 2017, 01:22:37 AM
I certainly like the idea of a hydration bladder.  All my packs have that capability, will this vest hold a 3L?
I don't know what it's capacity is, I can measure the pocket dimensions when I get a chance for you.

tha bugman

I gotta wear one before I am convinced...but overall looks pretty comfortable.