turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Sticking to what I know works (for me).

Started by deerbasshunter3, March 02, 2017, 03:36:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deerbasshunter3

Well, I thought I would pick out a few diaphragm calls at Cabelas today (HS and MAD). I'm not sure if it is me, or just because they are mass produced calls, but I cannot play them anywhere as good as I can play the Legacy Lone Hen.

Is this typical of mass produced calls, or just one of those things?

MK M GOBL

I have been using Woodhaven's for a while and seem they have a good consistence to them, not a bad apple in the basket.

MK M GOBL

TauntoHawk

I am still picky beyond belief when it comes to mouth calls
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

deerbasshunter3

Quote from: MK M GOBL on March 02, 2017, 03:49:48 PM
I have been using Woodhaven's for a while and seem they have a good consistence to them, not a bad apple in the basket.

MK M GOBL

They actually have Woodhaven calls on the shelf. I almost picked up a couple.

MK M GOBL

I picked up their TKM pack and the Ghost 3 Pack, really liking the Toxic Orange Ghost cut!

MK M GOBL

slwayne

Quote from: MK M GOBL on March 02, 2017, 04:00:56 PM
I picked up their TKM pack and the Ghost 3 Pack, really liking the Toxic Orange Ghost cut!

MK M GOBL
Yep, the Toxic Orange Ghost cut is a good one.  Probably my favorite mouth call.

Bowguy

One of my fav used to be the wood haven venom I think it was. It's yellow. The call started coming through inconsistant. I've never had that trouble w any other call. I use Hooks now, much cheaper. I will say I've killed lots of birds w the mad high frequency series in the past. I'd actually still use em if I had to

Greg Massey

I'm just old school and have tried a few others, but i always go back to Quaker Boy true double....i don't use month calls a lot, i'm more into Trumpets, if you get good on a trumpet you want use mouths calls much at all...

WNCTracker

Every time I try a new mouth call It seems to sound better after a couple days of playing with it, I think you just have to learn the nuances of each specific diaphragm... But I do have my favorites that gravitate back to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deerbasshunter3

I can pop in the Legacy Lone Hen and play it with no problem. I see no reason to try to change now.

Happy

I would encourage you to become more proficient with different diaphrams. The more you can manipulate different cuts the better you can play all of them. Not saying you need to hunt different calls right now. But the better you can adapt to different calls the more effective you become as a turkey caller. Some days turkeys don't like our favorite calls.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

SteelerFan

I agree with Happy - you also might find another cut that fits you even better. Try some of the reasonably priced calls to experiment with the different configurations. You could even order some from the guys that make them on here!

Not being able to work a $5 or $6 call is A LOT less painful than having to toss $12 - $15 in the trash.

Rzrbac

I've found about every brand to have some inconsistencies.  I have tried the brands you mentioned and found some that sound good but others not so much. Woodhaven makes a good call and found most of theirs are consistent but their prices are getting to be a little much. Just picked up some Hooks and so far I'm pretty impressed.

If those calls aren't sounding the way you want you can experiment with cutting the top reed a little. I have had that save a call or two from the trash can.

deerbasshunter3

If I find that the Legacy Lone Hen is easy for me to play, should I find that most of Legacy's call should be just as easy for me to play?

Happy

Not necessarily. A similar cut and nunber of reeds would probably be a closer match. I don't make calls but the cut of the call, latex thickness, number of reeds and the amount they overlap all contribute to a calls sound. (Call makers chime in if I am wrong here). So two calls of the same cut can sound different and play differently. Know two people have the exact same mouth or calling mechanics so a call that is dynamite for one may be a dud for another. It takes experimentation to find calls that work for you and have a sound you think sounds good. I personally like a call that has a fairly clean front end and then drops to a light medium rasp. Other fellows like them raspy as all get out. Hooks executioner 2 is a call that I am really starting to like as well as the tom teasers cracked corn and a cody batwing. I have another I really like but I will keep it a secret for now.  8) . With practice you will be able to run most calls well enough to do the job. I don't carry a ton of calls in the woods but I would rather forget my pants than my diaphrams.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club