turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Kee kee in spring

Started by Bowguy, March 02, 2017, 09:23:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bowguy

Idk why but one time I hunted an area n had a stuck gobbler. He'd gobble n not budge. It was an area if I moved he'd see me.
At my old house birds would spend all summer in the yard. Often they'd kee kee n I'd whistle it back at them. I felt I could whistle it fairly well as they'd come in.
Now back to the stuck bird. The bird was stuck n out of force of habit I kee kee at him n he comes right in. Not exactly sure why as it was an adult bird. I've since taken to occasional kee Kees in the spring n it works fairly often. Just another method to help when other things aren't working.
I was talking to a guy in the gym a few years ago n he's had similar experiences.
Maybe someone could explain or has an idea why this works besides obvious flock behavior. Also has anyone else had similar success in other states?

davisd9

My guess is it is a vocalization they really only hear from other turkeys, he is assured it is a turkey.  Many hunters do not kee kee and many others cannot.  I cannot say I have ever done it, but I do have it as one of those back pocket calls when I need to throw the book at one.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Bowguy

Quote from: davisd9 on March 02, 2017, 09:31:38 AM
My guess is it is a vocalization they really only hear from other turkeys, he is assured it is a turkey.  Many hunters do not kee kee and many others cannot.  I cannot say I have ever done it, but I do have it as one of those back pocket calls when I need to throw the book at one.
Good point Don.

Rapscallion Vermilion

I have used it in the spring to bring in the boss hen.  She completely ignored everything else, but lit up and started coming straight for me when I kee-kee'd.  Tagging along behind her was the rest of the flock and my biggest gobbler to date.

tha bugman

Aww them crazy things are making racket year long....you just hit his hot button and awwaaayy we go~! :turkey2:

tha bugman

I remember cameramen with Primos would use it as an indication that they had the bird in frame and it was ok for the hunter to shoot.

M Sharpe

My wife and I were working a grown gobbler with two jakes tagging along. He was a little reluctant to come to the hen calls but as soon as we started kee-ing, here he came!!
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

Fullfan

I too have used it several times in the spring, sometimes it works like a charm. And other times it had no effect. Turkeys are very sociable and I do believe that like to talk to each other when in a flock.
Don't gobble at me...

stinkpickle

I would think that a good, lost, pleading kee kee should work about any time of year. 

silvestris

The kee kee is definitely part of my springtime reportoire.  A couple of springs ago a hen flew to a nearby tree in response to my calling and she put on a kee kee extravaganza.  A gobbler a quarter away was answering her every kee.  I wish I had been carrying my digital recorder that day.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Rzrbac

This is just a guess but...

I've heard jakes kee kee in the spring. Maybe adult gobblers identify it as a separated jake intruding.

Bowguy

Quote from: Rzrbac on March 02, 2017, 01:02:51 PM
This is just a guess but...

I've heard jakes kee kee in the spring. Maybe adult gobblers identify it as a separated jake intruding.
i often just mouth whistle at em.

fallhnt

I use kee kee run in Spring as well. It has broken longbeards off to come settle the pecking order.
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

beakbuster10

I think it just assures turkeys that you're actually a turkey because you sound like a turkey. I've said it before and I've put to work many times - " Often times less calling is more"

But hen turkeys actually never shut up. Especially a gang of turkeys. I've began to morph my thinking more to what some of the old timers say - "you can't call too much" BUT you can say the wrong thinks way too much. How much cutting and aggressive yelping do you really hear from hens in the spring? Not much in my part of the world. I hear people doing it more often than actual hens.

I believe just sounding like what turkeys are actually doing throughout the day is why kees kees, chirps, wines, soft content yelps, clicks, purring and scratching leaves kills way more gobblers than aggressive calling ever will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MK M GOBL

I have used a Kee Kee/Kee Kee Run in the spring and have killed toms doing it, both on my slate and mouth call. It doesn't always work but it's one of the tactics in the book!

MK M GOBL