turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Another which pattern

Started by Jerseygti337, March 01, 2017, 06:58:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerseygti337

I got to try another choke today and while the pattern looks a little more even, the numbers were much better with the last choke I tried. What do you guys think? All shots were at 40 yards with an 870 super mag 23"bbl
First is the long beard 5's with a Carlson 665

Lb6's Carlson 665

Lb5, jelly head 660

Lb6, jellyhead 660

Tom Foolery

I like a good 10" and good 20" number with no real gaps in either.

What the 20" look like?

rcleofly

I like the Carlson pattern. What does it look like at 20 yards? I'm patterning a Versa Max with a Carlson LB XR choke .665. As of right now I have the best numbers with Winchester Long Beard XR 3" #5. My problem is the pattern is so tight at 20 yards or less it may spell disaster if your off a tad on your shot. I also have a good pattern with the Federal 3rd Degree 3" 5,6,7. I'm going to try some Hevi-Shot HEVI 13 3" #6, to see how they do.

Jerseygti337

Quote from: rcleofly on March 01, 2017, 07:50:04 PM
I like the Carlson pattern. What does it look like at 20 yards? I'm patterning a Versa Max with a Carlson LB XR choke .665. As of right now I have the best numbers with Winchester Long Beard XR 3" #5. My problem is the pattern is so tight at 20 yards or less it may spell disaster if your off a tad on your shot. I also have a good pattern with the Federal 3rd Degree 3" 5,6,7. I'm going to try some Hevi-Shot HEVI 13 3" #6, to see how they do.

I didn't shoot the Carlson at 20 but the jelly head was about volleyball size. I'm not sure if I want to stay with the Carlson or invest in more tubes and different shells.

rcleofly

I would definitely try different loads. If anything it's fun.

the Ward

Your 10" numbers are ok, but it looks like there are some gaps in the patterns. If you haven't done so already, try giving the barrel and choke a real good scrubbing and make sure it's nice and dry, oil free. Sometimes when I'm patterning I get a little lax on keeping the plastic wad buildup cleaned out and they start looking a little wonky. Also cold temperatures  can mess things up, as can a little wind. Your jellyhead patterns look a little better than the Carlson from what I can see, between the two.