turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Question about a Sumtoy choke

Started by Gobblers_nightmare, February 28, 2017, 06:30:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gobblers_nightmare

So, after having read all the glowing recommendations about the Sumtoy choke I aired out my wallet and ordered one for my 11-87.  It just came today, so I've had no chance to shoot it. 
But, like normal with a new toy, I took it out to look.  And I was surprised.
I was surprised both by the uneven machining and by the burrs that remained inside and on the grooves, and how the grooves seem to wander a little.
Is this normal?  Am I supposed to dress or polish the choke somehow before use?
If this is normal, and doesn't present an issue, then no problem.  I just thought I'd ask here before calling William.
Cluck-Gobble-BOOM!

Fieldturkey

They are all like that and it's totally fine. William will tell you the same thing if you call him. Ive bought 5 chokes from William and they are all like that but they are all shooters.

BottomLand54

If it shoots like mine does out of my 11-87 12 guage you will forget about how it looks lol. I know what you mean tho, I am so use to new chokes coming looking clean, polished up shining with no burs or eneven looking designs. I thought the first one I ordered was used. Then ordered more realized they all look about the same. Man my 26" 11-87 with sumtoy .650 and hevi Magnum blend 3" 5,6,7 2oz shoots awesome it's amazing. I don't get into the number thing but it throws an amazing hunting pattern!

Gobblers_nightmare

All I'm worried about is the pattern. 
I just found it surprising.  The outside of the choke, and the inside down to the striations, are beautifully machined.  The striations are uneven in width and depth, and have places in them that appear gouged. 
But as long as it has a great pattern I'll be pleased.
For those that have them, did you just shoot out the burrs, or do something to polish them out?
Cluck-Gobble-BOOM!

the Ward

My turkey choke had a few very tiny burrs in it when I got it, but they cleaned right out after a shot or two. All my Sumtoy chokes shoot lights out, and I've been very happy with them. It almost looks like some of the grooves are different depths? I'm sure he is running wide open this time of year,maybe a dull cutting tool perhaps? I don't think it will hurt it's performance, William is a class act and I'm positive he will address any concerns you have.

Shellwaster

The one I received last week for my 870 20 gauge looked like that too and didn't put up anywhere near the numbers other folks have been getting with similar setups. William suggested that I clean all the oil out of it with denatured alcohol. I cleaned the entire barrel and choke with Hoppes then ran several alcohol soaked patches through it, followed by a dry patch. I hope to pattern it again this weekend to see how she does. As others have said, try it and you might be pleasantly surprised by the results.

SumToy

The lines are cut in so it may have some stuff left in it that sticks to the oil.  You run few cheap bird shot to check poa/poi then brush it out.  Fire big load.   

Now if you have mess with the barrel as in polish in or cleaning with a drill I can't stand behind pattern.  You can mess a barrel easy if you don't do every thing correct.  I have seen guns turned to junk before.  I had one a guy did that we ran about 3 boxes of bird shot out it and then it came back.    JUST BE CAREFUL playing in barrel. 
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

BottomLand54

Others have done stated it, however I meant to in my previous post, don't use a file or anything to try smoothing burrs. Just shoot some dove loads through it 7 1/2, 8 shot low brass to check.poa/poi like sumtoy said. Then you will see how smooth chokes looks. If I had time I would post pics of how smooth and clean mine are now. But most importantly only burr I'ma be county is the ones on his legs I mean spurs! :z-guntootsmiley:

SumToy

Quote from: Gobblers_nightmare on February 28, 2017, 06:30:52 PM
So, after having read all the glowing recommendations about the Sumtoy choke I aired out my wallet and ordered one for my 11-87.  It just came today, so I've had no chance to shoot it. 
I was surprised both by the uneven machining and by the burrs that remained inside and on the grooves, and how the grooves seem to wander a little.
If this is normal, and doesn't present an issue, then no problem.  I just thought I'd ask here before calling William.

Shoot it a few times then we figure if you need or want to trade it out.
:icon_thumright:
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Gobblers_nightmare

Quote from: SumToy on March 01, 2017, 08:54:20 AM
Quote from: Gobblers_nightmare on February 28, 2017, 06:30:52 PM

Shoot it a few times then we figure if you need or want to trade it out.
:icon_thumright:

The gun and barrel are in excellent condition, many moons old but well maintained.
I hope to get the chance to check the pattern this weekend.  If it shoots well I'll leave glowing praise  :z-winnersmiley:
If it doesn't, I'll give you a call.  Thanks for replying.
Cluck-Gobble-BOOM!

taylorjones20

From the back of the choke looking through it looks like an non ported Indian Creek... Neat design...
Alive only by the Grace Of God

Gobblers_nightmare

I finally got the opportunity and the weather to get out. 
I started out by putting two boxes of bird shot through the tube.  Surprisingly, it did not take out the burrs, and they're still rough enough to snag a patch.
But then on to the Longbeard XR's.  The 6's shot a decent pattern, but nothing exceptional.  The 5's, for some reason, were wide open and ragged. 
So, on to the 4's.  I only had a couple of those left to try, but they shot phenomenally.  I've got to pick up a couple of boxes to really put shots on the cardboard, but at thirty yards everything would have went into a 12" circle  :jackson:.  At 40 yards it was still pretty tight.
I'm hoping they all get better as the burrs get shot out.
Cluck-Gobble-BOOM!