News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

870 build- saddle mount advice

Started by mmcfarland, February 28, 2017, 09:51:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmcfarland

Guys-

just purchased a youth 870 and trying to get it set up for my 9 year old (and me) He is going to duck hunt with this gun as well so i dont know if i want to have it drilled/tapped. What is the best way to mount some optics for turkey season and be able to remove for duck season?

appreciate all of the advice!

Mac

Greg Massey

I have mine mounted with a saddle mount and scope...with the saddle mount you still can see the sight bead...i love mine it works great...it takes a special mount and size for the youth because the youth is a smaller frame gun...B Square Rem. 870 20 gauge express LT shotgun saddle mount and it comes with scope mounts.. you can order this from Amazon for around 41.99...also you will need to order a replacement cap for a sling mount or get a sling nut and drill the cap...if you need anymore help just message me....

357MAGNOLE

I am personally not a fan of the saddle mount, I dont like that it utilizes the pins in the fire control grouping.  I know several people use them and like them, I am just not a fan. I had mine drilled and tapped.  You could always do that and just remove the mount between seasons. 
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

Greg Massey

Quote from: 357MAGNOLE on February 28, 2017, 10:12:15 AM
I am personally not a fan of the saddle mount, I dont like that it utilizes the pins in the fire control grouping.  I know several people use them and like them, I am just not a fan. I had mine drilled and tapped.  You could always do that and just remove the mount between seasons.
Nothing wrong with the pins and they screw into the saddle, i would take a saddle over drill and tap any day because you still have 2 sight options, regardless with either one you have screws....

VaBoy

Not a fan a saddle mounts . Receivers not as rigid on newer guns . I had a saddle mount on a Win SX-2 and in order to get it tight enough to consistently hold zero thru the season , you had to tighten it so tight it wouldn't always action properly after a shot. If you loosened it up so that it always ejected after the shot , it would loose zero by seasons end . Learned how to curse before I figured it out. Ended up getting it drilled and tapped with no issues since.

Greg Massey

Quote from: VaBoy on February 28, 2017, 03:59:07 PM
Not a fan a saddle mounts . Receivers not as rigid on newer guns . I had a saddle mount on a Win SX-2 and in order to get it tight enough to consistently hold zero thru the season , you had to tighten it so tight it wouldn't always action properly after a shot. If you loosened it up so that it always ejected after the shot , it would loose zero by seasons end . Learned how to curse before I figured it out. Ended up getting it drilled and tapped with no issues since.
Sorry you had that problem, but i own 3 guns with saddle mounts and i've never had that happen...Have one mounted on a 12 gauge with a Nikon Turkey Pro scope and it has been great....That Win. SX-2 may just be a weak gun and metal...

VAlongbeard84

I have used an aimtech saddle mount on my 20 gauge Remington 870 for a lot of years. No issues here either. I use the Aimtech ASM-220. I am a big fan of this mount for sure.

SteelerFan

If you add a saddle mount with optic, and the gun has a regular stock - you may want to add a raised / padded cheek rest for proper eye alignment with the optics. This will allow your son to keep his head secure on the stock instead of having to pick it up to see through the optics. Don't want any bite from the recoil for the young hunter.

https://www.amazon.com/VooDoo-Tactical-20-9421004000-Buttstock-Carrier/dp/B007FTAR3O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1488330372&sr=8-1&keywords=padded+cheek+rest