turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Dead turkey . . .

Started by sugarray, April 08, 2011, 03:10:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sugarray

After patterning yesterday I saw a strutter on a farm I drove by.  Went back to today to try to get permission to hunt, and no luck.  He already has 3-4 guys hunting and didn't want anymore.

When I pulled in there were 12 hens, a jake, and a strutter right in front of the house.  The land owner said there has been 2 strutters.  Well, as I leave I notice a turkey flopping and see one tangled in the fence.  I got permission to free it and as I got there one of it's legs had gotten wound in the barbed wire fence.  It let me pick it up and untwist one time.  I was then able to get enough of a gap in the fence it pulled itself free.  It was unable to get up and I know it was tired.  I just walked away.  I really don't think it will make it and wanted to put it out of it's misery, but the land owner was nervous about a CO nearby, but wouldn't call the office, which was weird.  I left it up to him and he said he'd think about it and might call the CO.  I just know it was going to either just die or get eaten by a coyote.  Circle of life I guess

It was a 2 yr old bird with 3/4-1" spurs and about a 9" beard.  Would have been proud to take that guy or have my son take him.  Just a shame for them to go like that.

socalturkeyman

That sucks Ray, I always feel bad seeing something like that. This last fall someone must have shot into a group of birds,about 6 of them had broken legs. It Really bums me out when things like that happen. Oh well nothing you can do I guess,except hope for the best.
A shot not taken,is a shot missed!
Juan Galindo-Last Light Taxidermy

Ol'Mossy

TRKYHTR

You did the right thing. I bet you get permission to hunt there because of what you did today.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

M,Yingling

Them birds are tuff after a little rest it probably made it
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

BowBendr

Hey Ray, I found a year and a half old doe stuck in a barb-wire fence one day while scouting in Pike Co., Il. Man, she was really stuck up high, and her back leg was twisted in the wire to the point on being severed. Just like you, she let me cut her out and she laid there for 3 days and never moved. I don't know how she didn't get eaten by the coyotes, but eventually she got up and walked into the woods.

I saw her limping badly about a week later, and by the end of deer season, you could barely see the limp. Animals are tough, maybe that ol' tom will make it. But they do have to be able to sprint to take flight. Hope he makes it.

hookedspur

:agreed: :icon_thumright:
Quote from: TRKYHTR on April 08, 2011, 05:07:12 PM
You did the right thing. I bet you get permission to hunt there because of what you did today.

TRKYHTR
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

spur collector

Quote from: TRKYHTR on April 08, 2011, 05:07:12 PM

TRKYHTR
:agreed:

Trip