turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Lightweight boot suggestions

Started by reynolds243, February 27, 2017, 02:27:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reynolds243

Ok I normally wear rubber boots but been wanting a 7" or 8" LIGHTWEIGHT waterproof boot to use some for turkey and archery season.  Non insulated of corse. I want to empathize lightweight as possible

Was looking at Irish setter vaprteck ones and redhead RCT goretex ones. Both have super mixed reviews though. Seems danner doesn't make the jackel anymore and doesn't seem to be a lot of other options out there for super light ones in that height.

Anyone have some real time experience with these or other suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FL-Boss

I just went through the same thing.  Spent hours in Gander trying on boots. I ended up with these - https://www.amazon.com/Wolverine-Mens-Sightline-High-Hunting/dp/B00ITQG5VA

They weight just over 1.5lb per boot.  They were lighter than the vaprtrek per my scale ( I got a pair of them at the same time, but returned)   The vaprtrek were also very bulky IMO.. like a snow boot.

Only bad thing about the Wolverine boots is the waterproof "tongue" of the boot only comes up about half way.  Not a big deal for me as it won't make much of a real world difference... if it's that wet you will need to wear rubber boots anyway.

tha bugman

I personally won't buy any Redheads.  I got a pair of their rubberboots and they didn't last 4 hunts.  took them back and got the tried and true Lacrosse Grange. 

supremepredator

I just bought a pair of cabelas,  uninsulated iron ridge boots for $89. Still waiting on them to get here.
"Save the habitat,save the hunt"

reynolds243

Quote from: tha bugman on February 27, 2017, 04:04:27 PM
I personally won't buy any Redheads.  I got a pair of their rubberboots and they didn't last 4 hunts.  took them back and got the tried and true Lacrosse Grange.

Me either and swore I never would but seems options are limited these days. I figured with gore Tex they may be ok but reviews are not great on them at all

Sixes

I've always worn Danner hikers, but bought a pair of Cabelas brand uninsulated hunting boots last spring for a trip to Texas and they are extremely comfortable. I ended up wearing them for the better part of our GA season last year and most of the past deer season. Only time that I didn't wear them last spring or fall is when I was hunting an area in middle Georgia that has a lot of rattlers, copperheads and cottonmouths. I wore my snake boots on those trips.

Cabelas also has a very good return/refund policyon their brand. I had a pair of outfitter fleece windshear pants that were 5-6 years old, I squatted down to do something and tore the windshear inside lining, I figured what the heck, and sent them back.  A week later, I had a brand new pair on the porch.

Brian Fahs

I have a pair of salomon gtx 4d boots I like. I've been using them for about a year and really like them.

reynolds243

Quote from: Sixes on February 27, 2017, 05:40:06 PM
I've always worn Danner hikers, but bought a pair of Cabelas brand uninsulated hunting boots last spring for a trip to Texas and they are extremely comfortable. I ended up wearing them for the better part of our GA season last year and most of the past deer season. Only time that I didn't wear them last spring or fall is when I was hunting an area in middle Georgia that has a lot of rattlers, copperheads and cottonmouths. I wore my snake boots on those trips.

Cabelas also has a very good return/refund policyon their brand. I had a pair of outfitter fleece windshear pants that were 5-6 years old, I squatted down to do something and tore the windshear inside lining, I figured what the heck, and sent them back.  A week later, I had a brand new pair on the porch.

You remember which one you got?

Strutr

Have you ever tried a pair of LLBean Hunting Shoes?
https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/33171?feat=506794-GN2&page=men-s-maine-hunting-shoes-10&attrValue_0=Brown/Brown&productId=452937
I used to have a similarly constructed pair of Cabelas brand boots that I loved wearing during spring turkey and early archery seasons.  Non-insulated and water resistant, not waterproof.  They were outfitted with a set of athletic shoe footbeds which made them very comfy.  I see the Bean boots come in 10, 12, and 16 inch heights.  Also offered with a goretex/thinsulate combo which I suspect might be a bit warm for spring hunting.

Sixes

Quote from: reynolds243 on February 27, 2017, 07:49:06 PM
Quote from: Sixes on February 27, 2017, 05:40:06 PM

You remember which one you got?

I looked up my order and it was these, but they had them on sale for 65 dollars
http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=1746470&categoryId=0&parentCategoryId=0&subCategoryId=0&indexId=0&itemGUID=8273c706ac1084503f82c89c656ac42d&destination=%252Fuser%252Forder_details.cmd%253Fid%253Dgq3iCTRY64QJAFcSH%25252Fr1FQ%25253D%25253D%2526key%253Dc13d475e50d148c3b7146672f45ffde2

Cove

Make sure you don't over look boots like Keen and Merrell. They aren't targeted at hunters so they're often over looked but make great, very light weight hiking boots.

reynolds243

Quote from: Cove on February 28, 2017, 09:31:06 AM
Make sure you don't over look boots like Keen and Merrell. They aren't targeted at hunters so they're often over looked but make great, very light weight hiking boots.

I have merrells I use from time to time but I want something taller for hunting to help with higher vegetation being wet and damp or even ankle high creeks.

LaLongbeard

Cabelas has the Danner Jackel camo boots in original bottom land I've worn a pair for several years super light wt. and will keep your feet dry unless your wading creeks. Not much grips on soles which works well in La mud(they do not get clogged up with mud) but if your hunting rough steep terrain they may not have enough grip.Mine are mossy oak obsession trying to tell myself I really need a pair in OBottomland lol.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

spursRus

I got a pair of Danner steadfast 8 inch boots last year and have been pretty happy with them. think they're on sale at midway right now for $70.

juliodux

Irish Setter Vaprteck.  Since I purchased them (1/15),  I have logged over 12 miles in this boot.  I can suggest these to anyone.  Good, lite, waterproof with lots of support.