OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Whats in your vest?

Started by BibbCoLongbeard, February 26, 2017, 01:58:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ncturkey

Nothing. I just bought a new vest. But when I do load it up. I will have one box call,two pot calls, 6 strikers. Extra shells, QPS if need. Binoculars, limb saw, pruners, toilet paper, water, snacks and a knife. Gloves and face mask plus one extra of each. Driver Licences and hunting licences and turkey tags. Rain jacket if needed. This year I will be caring one Avian X Hen decoy if needed. Plus I will have extra mouth calls too. I will have a few different locator calls. I will use a combination of the following depending on where I hunt. Owl,crow,peacock,goose,woodpecker,Sandhills crane and coyote. Plus a range finder if I am crossbow hunting. There other types of turkey calls I use. I wear those on a lanyard. But I may store them in my vest. I will usually have one or the other on a yanyard around my neck. Trumpet or a wingbone. From time to time I use a tube call too. It is also be on a lanyard. I will also have either a bug tamer jacket or bug spray. There maybe things I left out.

tha bugman

vest contents seem to vary as the season progresses, but as of right now I have the following:

hand wipes (not for hand use)
gps with extra set of batteries
Dead End Glass Call w/accompanying striker
Longbeard Life Slate w/accompanying striker
Woodhaven All weather striker
5- 3" Longbeard #6's
Primos call conditioner w/chalk
Cluck and Purr One Sided Box Call by Eckel Smith
3- Mouthcalls (Gooserbat D.T.W., Woodhaven Copperhead II, Strut Commander Gobfather)
Flextone Standing Hen Decoy
James Harrison Hoot Flute
Woodhaven Crow Call

tha bugman

Quote from: Gooserbat on February 27, 2017, 12:45:58 AM
Quote from: Marc on February 26, 2017, 11:23:20 PM
Quote from: Gooserbat on February 26, 2017, 11:14:24 PM
Owl hooter
Crow call
Hand full of mouth calls
Couple of pots
Usually 3 strikers
Box call
Chalk
Wing bone
Wet wipes
Two pair of gloves
Two headnets
7 shells
Thermocell and refills
36" tape measure ( if the spurs are under an inch an 1/4" I toss the bird to the yotes and shoot another one.)

Granted, I hunt in mountain lion country, so I leave the truck with three shells in the gun...  But 7 shells in the vest adds up to 10 shells...  You shoot 10 shells turkey hunting and that is either a really good day, or a really really bad day...

Nope four of those goes into the 870.  I am habitual and s very long time ago I started carrying seven shells in my vest.  No reason why.  I just did.  Now I start the season off with seven every year.  I will deplet those to four or five before I restock to seven but it's always been my habit.
thats a good habit...be prepared

RutnNStrutn

This same topic comes up every year, and I got tired of typing it out. So I took a pic, saved it to Photobucket with a list of items under it.  ;D

Thermacell with extra pads and fuel, peacock call, HAINT gobble call, crow call, owl call, box call, glass and slate pots with multiple strikers, water bottle, snacks, diaphragms, headlamp with dim single red LED, call conditioning tools, range finder, toilet paper, small measuring tape, hunting license and tags, compass, lighter, green STYLUS pen light, lens cleaning tool, pen, knife, and old man reading glasses.
Last season I also started carrying the new quarter that has a flying turkey on it. Hopefully it continues to bring me luck!! :icon_thumright:

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: guesswho on February 26, 2017, 06:06:20 PM
The string
The Key To Success
Tinks Turkey Lure
Rattling Spurs
Old Turkey Feathers
Dried Turkey Blood
And a quarter.
Guess I carry way too much then!!! ;D :lol: :toothy12: :TooFunny:

waterman2

owlhoot

Way way too much stuff. That is for sure! Funny how the beginning of turkey season it is always a lot heavier than at the end though!

longspur

In my pockets,  gloves, crow call, couple of executioners,  ole yeller pot, couple strikers, water. If I go far and long I'll wear vest and add an owl hooter couple shells and an apple to the sticks,leafs,rocks and stuff already there.

renegade19

Before I ditched the vest, seemed like this............

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: owlhoot on February 28, 2017, 04:36:10 PM
Way way too much stuff. That is for sure! Funny how the beginning of turkey season it is always a lot heavier than at the end though!
Indeed it is!!! :agreed: :icon_thumright:

wvmntnhick

A capital one card :TooFunny:

I've got two vests and a recently aquired Primos freak seat. The vest are carrying various Yingling pots and a few assorted others. The seat has my sneed pots and Schaffer atomic 13.

Box calls: vests currently have a Reynolds lil Jenny and spring creek bloodwood over cherry. Seat has a Mabry walnut/purpleheart combo. Have an SS and other Mabry's that will see time as well as a gooserbat cedar box. This box is as solid as any other fellas.

Also must add that I got a Dunfee hooch box that's awesome and will see time in my vestless shirt as well as an enticer aluminum and one of the Yingling cast acorn cap copper pots. I'm ready this year.