OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Federal HW 20ga 2 3/4" question

Started by Candyman, February 25, 2017, 06:04:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Candyman

My daughter told me yesterday she wants to kill a turkey. So I am excited she wants to and also scrambling. i bought some fed HW 2 3/4" 7's. I think that's the best option with the gun she will hunt with. I shoot tss from my encore but no way she could handle the recoil. She will be shooting my first shotgun- Remington LT 20 with a fixed modified barrel. What can I expect at 30-35 yards?

If she enjoys it I plan on getting a new barrel with chokes and "fixing" it up for next season.
I am shooting the gun tomorrow but wanted to see if any others have shot this combo.

Thanks

Fred

Izzyjoe

At 30yds you should get good patterns, enough to kill a gobbler. But that's probably about as far as she needs to shoot, but you never know till she bust off a few shots. I'm assuming it's a 1100 LT, and they will recoil less. Good luck, hope she kills a big one!

dirtnap

You can expect a dead turkey.

My 12 year old son has killed a bunch with the same gun/shell.

I've killed a few myself.  I ended up buying a new barrel with Rem-chokes and switched over to the RSF.

krink1cb

At 30 yards it shouldn't be a problem. Pattern should be more than suffient to kill a bird.

POSSUM BEND

I bought a box of the 2 3/4" shells just in case my daughter decides she's ready this yr.  Shot one yesterday while patterning my 870 20 ga and got 86 pellets in a 10 in circle at 40 yards.  Nice even pattern with Carlson. 575.  I would think it would be deadly to 35 for sure and probably fine at 40.  I hunted for yrs with lead #5s that wouldn't have done any more than that.