OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Recommend a light jacket for spring turkey

Started by the Ward, February 23, 2017, 12:57:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the Ward

Been looking around for a light jacket for spring turkey hunting. Our season starts may 1st this year, and weather and temps can be all over the map here in ne Ohio. What are you guys using/recommend that hunt in similar conditions?  All my old stuff is worn out and i need some  new clothes. Thanks for any ideas!

Bowguy

Shannon's big tamer suit is light n keeps the bugs off you. The other option is spend 5-7 bucks on a Walmart clearance light jacket on clearance n put it over other stuff if you need it

Happy

Something that I love is a vest. Not that popular any more but they take the chill of and don't take up much room in a vest if you need to shed it later in the day. Prefer fleece myself but also have an under armor vest I love as well.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

WNCTracker

Quote from: Happy on February 23, 2017, 01:13:25 PM
Something that I love is a vest. Not that popular any more but they take the chill of and don't take up much room in a vest if you need to shed it later in the day. Prefer fleece myself but also have an under armor vest I love as well.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Me too, I wear a vest and few lightweight camo layers because it goes from 40-80 in a few hours in the spring and I can shed all morning.

J.D. Shellnut

I use a breathable rain suit from walmart. Its in realtree made from a cloth type material with a liner and is lightweight but warm. It sucks as rain suit but is perfect for early season bow hunting and turkey hunting. I wear a shirt and pants under it and take it off when it warms up. I don't know what its made of but I've had it about five years and it has yet to fade any. They usually have them on clearance this time of year.
60% of the time it works every time!

YELPA

Columbia PHG Timberwolf fleece jacket.  Love it!

jblackburn

my favorite is the bowhunters jacket from Natural Gear, not sure if they still make it
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

SteelerFan

My recipe of late for those 30 - 70 degree hunts =

1 long sleeve tech material t-shirt
1 lightweight camo shirt
1 camo fleece full zip jacket
1 lightweight leafy jacket

Some days I may skip the shirt and just go long sleeve T and fleece under leafy jacket. Mix & match any of the assortment above, and place unneeded in my vest as the day progresses. Or hike up the mountain with minimal, and throw the jacket on once I'm settled.

I picked up a leafy jacket at Bass Pro that is hands down the most comfortable I have ever worn. It's light weight, full zip, and full smooth poly material - so its not to stiff like some of the mesh styles can be. The leafy outer layer is almost like wearing nothing at all - which is ideal for over everything or just the long sleeve T-shirt, depending on temps.

http://www.basspro.com/RedHead-3D-Evolution-Hunting-Jacket-for-Men/product/1210311145/

PALongspur

The new Ultra Lite packable jacket from 10x is just what I've been looking for. Very lightweight and water resistant.

the Ward

A lot of great ideas! I had not thought of using a vest, either. I usually use one in the fall/winter as outer  layer  when waterfowling for the paddle in, then putting on a coat on over it when I cool off. I definitely will check out everyone's suggestions!

turkeyfoot

I never liked keeping up with jacket or wearing one so I use a fleece sweatshirt even on frosty mornings it does me goo and when warms toss it in game pouch in back of vest

Gooserbat

I use a cabelas microtex shirt.  If it's cool I'll wear two long sleeve T-shirts under it.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

wvlimbhanger

I'll 2nd the cabelas microtex shirt and also recommend the mossy oak performance jacket from the mossy oak store, especially if you like green leaf or original bottomland.

Ericbrooks

Hoodie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cut N Run

Like Bowguy, I like a Shannon Bug Tamer jacket.  It is light enough, yet provides some insulation in the dead air space it creates. Full front zip with a built in hood and mesh facemask are good features. It helps keep the mosquitoes from getting to me and fits in the game bag of my vest.  Mine also kills ticks because it is treated with pymethrin before the season (the only good tick is a dead tick).

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.