OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Pronghorns or vaprtreks?

Started by supremepredator, February 21, 2017, 05:16:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

supremepredator

Been Looking for a lightweight, breathable turkey boot for this spring and Been eyeballing the danner pronghorns and the irish setter vaprtreks for a while. Which one should i get?
"Save the habitat,save the hunt"

SFCSNOW

Soles on my VTs fell apart a in less than a year. Moderate use and no abuse.  No chemical exposure and never left them outside. Loved the fit and feel of them though.

Yoder409

Have a pair of Vaprtrek snake boots and they have been AWESOME.   Like wearing a pair of 17" running shoes.   I am very pleased with them and I have no worries about having to deal with Danner's crappy return policy.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

PALongspur

I've been tickled with my Vaprtrek's (I have two pairs) and Havoc's. I'll never buy another pair of Danner boots.

Irish Setter has a brand new boot for this year called the Drifter that looks really promising. I just ordered a pair today, hopefully I have them to put through the paces in April!

catman529

Was disappointed with my VaprTreks. Wore them through turkey season and then wore them to work weedeating and cutting grass during the summer, but not every day. They got holes in the mesh and I don't know if they ever were waterproof. I've got all leather Redwing work boots now and they're a lot tougher and waterproof. Tread also worn down really fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

turkaholic

I'm having boot issues myself this year. Searching for a replacement for Danner. They are now made in Vietnam, used to be China. I've been a Danner guy for over 30 years but now they hurt my feet. New side panel seams in the Pronghorn that leave blisters. Vapor techs sound good but not many good reviews at all. Not sure what to do, yet. Looking at all other options.
live to hunt hunt to live

supremepredator

Quote from: turkaholic on February 23, 2017, 06:11:30 AM
I'm having boot issues myself this year. Searching for a replacement for Danner. They are now made in Vietnam, used to be China. I've been a Danner guy for over 30 years but now they hurt my feet. New side panel seams in the Pronghorn that leave blisters. Vapor techs sound good but not many good reviews at all. Not sure what to do, yet. Looking at all other options.
same here. I just want something light that wont get my feet too hot. An ankle boot to go with my snake gaiters. They dont have to be waterproof.

Cottonmouth

My vaprtreks leaked badly from day one. I mean soaking wet from walking in dew covered grass. I used half a can of sno-seal and that cured it . They are very comfortable but I will try something different next time.

birdhunterdave

Never had the pronghorns but had a pair of vaportrek last year and they were probably the worst pair of boots I 've ever had. I've had assorted  kinds of danners and they were all good boots.

Tail Feathers

I had my Vapor Trek's a year now and have been very happy.  Mostly used during turkey season but I have no complaints.
Never tried Danner's.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

WV Ridge Reaper

I started out with Danners when they was good years ago..Picked up some Irish Setter Havcos for a everyday boot...Work Play Hunt you get it everyday.

Liked them a lot and ended up buying another pair for nothing but hunting..also at the same time I bought another pair of danner pronghorns...Ended up throwing the pronghorns to the side and wore the havco's

I really don't understand why people complain about leaking boots..If you want a boot that won't leak common sense wear a rubber boot.

FL-Boss

I got a pair of VaprTreks to try out. Nice boots but seems very bulky.. almost like snow boots.  Long story short,  I ended up returning them. 

Wolverine Sightline is what I ended up with.

VaprTreks big claim is they are very light... but I weighed them and the Wolverine pair was actually lighter.   Also - I normally never need a wide boot, but a lot of the review say the boots do run narrow. I concur. Order a wide.

As for Danner - I tried on all the Danner boots they had at Gander. They seem real nice, but heavy and not as comfortable for me. 

supremepredator

I ended up buying a pair of cabelas iron ridge boots for $89

Tail Feathers

FL Boss, only the Vapor Trek snake boots really have a claim of being unusually lightweight.  The regular 8" boots are about average.  I can't really speak to their durablity yet, my 8" pair are only a year old, used mostly during turkey season last year.  The stayed waterproof for the entire season.
I had some Cabela's Predators that I liked a lot.  After five years I bought more and they had changed them so much the new models hurt my feet.  I had to return them.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

KYFrid

I've had my pronghorns for several years and they've held up great.  so far no. Leaks. I do hit them with obenaufs after the end of each season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk