OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

POI differences

Started by C.Kimzey95, February 18, 2017, 06:07:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1iagobblergetter

Quote from: C.Kimzey95 on February 18, 2017, 07:28:53 PM
Way ahead of you Marc. Plan on getting my dad to shoot it and see how it looks.
I understand in doing that,but if it shoots dead center then what???

THattaway

Then it's a loose nut behind the trigger.

If you are right handed then you shouldn't be pulling a shot to the left. I am fixing to send a gun back to benelli for a POA/POI issue. They assured me over the phone that they would find out what the problem was and replace the barrel if needed. I want the  gun to shoot straight off the beads, worthless for ducks if it doesn't. I've got 5 turkey guns and don't need another dedicated gun. Regardless, a gun you pay that much money for should shoot straight.
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

C.Kimzey95

Think I'll probably shoot some more sitting down and see how it is. If not I'll slap a try glo magnum gobble dot on there like I've been meaning to do for two years anyways.

C.Kimzey95

Treerooster, thanks for the response. I think on the dove loads the poi difference isn't nearly as extreme as on the turkey loads. But it was noticeably similar anyways. I'm hoping when I sit at the base of a tree and shoot it will fix it on the turkey loads! If not I think like others have suggested an adjustable sight should hopefully fix it !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Marc

Quote from: 1iagobblergetter on February 18, 2017, 08:22:36 PM
Quote from: C.Kimzey95 on February 18, 2017, 07:28:53 PM
Way ahead of you Marc. Plan on getting my dad to shoot it and see how it looks.
I understand in doing that,but if it shoots dead center then what???
Then he can look at adjusting shims, or address flinching issues...

If the gun shoots straight, and is not hitting the target, it must be the shooter...

I am left-eye dominant, and for whatever reason, both my Benelli shotguns shot to the left for me, but dead on for others (and my other guns shot dead on for me during the same patterning sessions)...  In the M-2, I was able to adjust the shims to help to some degree (that gun was actually stolen)...

I sold the M-1 cause I could not make it shoot for me...  I knew the buyer, and made him go and shoot the gun before giving me money...  Shot dead on for him.

And, I do not know if it is due to the fact of me being left-eye dominant, but as a right handed shooter, when I pull a shot, it is almost always to the left.  I just assumed that it was because my left hand is holding the forend and has some degree of control over the gun...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

1iagobblergetter

Wouldn't shims be for up and down instead of side ways?? As far as flinching I don't think I would trust myself when I was staring down the barrel at a Gobbler to tell myself not to flinch if I was flinching with a dove load,but maybe he can. Anythings worth a try.Id shoot a couple turkey loads sitting and see what happens. If it's still off center I wouldn't trust myself out hunting without some type of adjustable sight at the least..if your dead on consistently hunt it. No matter what adjustable sights in my opinion are worth the money. It's not wing shooting unless you miss.and I wouldn't recommend that either.

THattaway

When you center the bead and level the vent rib every shot, eyeball aligned with the center of the rib at the rear end, try several different chokes and shoot several different loads, still getting the same consistent POI off from where you aim, then there is something off with the gun. That provided you are on a stable rest, not yanking the trigger, have no external input. When you have two identical makes of guns and one shoots dead on and the other off, using the same array  of chokes, loads etc. etc. then I'd say it wasn't the shooter. Just speaking from experience.
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

C.Kimzey95

update. Shot some sitting down. POI seemed great @20. Here is my second shot longbeard xr 3"  5 shot @ 40. Dead turkey but I think it can be improved maybe. I've gotta get my hands on some 6s and try them

C.Kimzey95

update. Shot some sitting down. POI seemed great @20. Here is my second shot longbeard xr 3"  5 shot @ 40. Dead turkey but I think it can be improved maybe. I've gotta get my hands on some 6s and try them

1iagobblergetter

Looks good and centered to me. Post the 6s if you pattern them if you get a chance..I'm a fan of more pellets myself as long as I don't have to shoot 3.5in to get them. Lol...

Marc

Quote from: 1iagobblergetter on February 18, 2017, 09:55:31 PM
Wouldn't shims be for up and down instead of side ways?? As far as flinching I don't think I would trust myself when I was staring down the barrel at a Gobbler to tell myself not to flinch if I was flinching with a dove load,but maybe he can. Anythings worth a try.Id shoot a couple turkey loads sitting and see what happens. If it's still off center I wouldn't trust myself out hunting without some type of adjustable sight at the least..if your dead on consistently hunt it. No matter what adjustable sights in my opinion are worth the money. It's not wing shooting unless you miss.and I wouldn't recommend that either.

There are shims for cast-on and cast-off (i.e. left and right), or you could take the shims out for no cast.

I had a Beretta that shot off for me, and found that the shims in the gun were set for a left handed shooter, and shot way to the left for me...  Trading them out for the proper shims was an immediate solution.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

1iagobblergetter

Thanks,didn't know that...Learn something everyday...

C.Kimzey95

Quote from: 1iagobblergetter on February 19, 2017, 04:57:16 PM
Looks good and centered to me. Post the 6s if you pattern them if you get a chance..I'm a fan of more pellets myself as long as I don't have to shoot 3.5in to get them. Lol...
Does to me too. Wouldn't be afraid to shoot a turkey @ 40 with that pattern. And I'm going to try to soon! I'll be sure and post pics!

deerbasshunter3

Honestly, I would just slap on a set of sights, fix the POI issue, and go kill a turkey!

Ross R

I had a 20" 835 that I had missed a few birds with.  I then got a left handed SBE 2 and did much better with it.  I really didnt know enough about shotguns at the time. I should have just fixed the shim for a l/h shooter. I wish I didn't sell the 835.