turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

POI differences

Started by C.Kimzey95, February 18, 2017, 06:07:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1iagobblergetter

With only 2or so inches adjustable sights would work. I moved mine around with different choke/shell combos..

BottomLand54

My sbe2 2 shot dead center 2 inches high with magna blend 2oz 3".... My sbe2 3 shot 10-14 inches high and 4-8 inches to the left depending on shell. However it was more of a choke problem I believe and never shot my sumtoy in it before I got rid of it!

All that being said I never shoot off a bench, maybe I should but I shoot out of a solid chair, with a shooting stick so I can fully hold gun to shoulder as off I were turkey hunting also this is how I would shoot out of ground blind, I shoot better sitting on ground with gun across my knee. However my POA/poi is normally spot on even if I shoot standing up to resting if I don't pull off. My question to you would be how far off is it if u are aiming at a 2 inch circle and 40 yds and you are 2 inches to the left or right is there enough of your pattern covering the circumference to accommodate a kill? If not I suggest figuring something out. Some guys use lead sleds benches etc. I don't have all that equipment and wouldn't use a lead sled while turkey hunting. I do recommend having a solid stable stance or someway to hold your fun still if that is a lead sled then find one.  POA/poi problems have been an issue with Benelli guns when putting turkey chokes in them. They are great reliable mule kicking guns that I love the feel of!

owlhoot

Did you shoot different turkey loads at those?

BottomLand54

Just seen your pictures, you are not off bad try holding your gun a bit to the right and see what you get, that may be crazy sounding but sometimes some these little things can be fixed by the way we hold our guns at least for me that is. I still believe you have a dead turkey.

LaLongbeard

Not uncommon for the center of pattern to be off the point of aim were dealing with a shotgun not rifled barrel.My 870 shot low and few inches left when I first patterned it,I  had a rifle sight mounted on the barrel and the reciver  drilled for a peep site and use the hole were the peep disc would screw in.Now my pattern is adjusted dead on center and the peep site makes sure you keep your head down when shooting.I sometimes use a bench for testing a new load but the only pattern I trust is what I shoot sitting down with my gun on my knee because thats how I will be using it.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

C.Kimzey95

Oh I've still got dead turkeys with those I just hate that the big bulk of my pattern is going to the left lol. And yes the three in the pic were a 3" longbeard xr 5 shot 3" federal 3rd degreee and a 3.5" longbeard xr 5 shot. I have some older turkey thug shells and I shot one of those too and it would fall right along with those pics. Bulk of pattern few inches to the left.

Marc

Have someone else shoot the same gun and same loads, & see if it is you or the gun.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

C.Kimzey95

Way ahead of you Marc. Plan on getting my dad to shoot it and see how it looks.

owlhoot

Well they all  real close so at least  that isn't a problem .
Not sure on that gun but there was some discussion on here in the past that said tightening the Forend nut could change poi points and to snug them really good and check them after barrel/ forend dis assembly

C.Kimzey95

I've got it snugged really well but I will keep that in mind. I'm anxious to shoot a few turkey loads sitting on the ground. I'm wondering if it is shooting position just changing the POI. I wouldn't think there would be much difference but there may be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

worth612000

Rifle off a rest is fine. My shotgun off of a rest is way off. I would trust your the way you would shoot hunting.

ruination

.410 Favors the Bold

C.Kimzey95

No wind strong enough to make a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BottomLand54

OK, is it more left with a turkey load then with your standard trap load say 2 3/4 inch shell 7 1/2 shot or 8shot? What does it shoot like with factory full choke. If your trap load is closer to poa then your turkey load it may be barrel flex, or choke. Put in your full factory load in with a trap load mark off 50 feet shoot a 2 inch circle. Then put up a new target back up again 50 ft with turkey choke shoot 2 inch circle see if there is any difference. If you factory full choke shoot poa/poi then you need a different choke possibly.

Gooserbat

Easy fix...Truglo mag gobble dots, Williams firesights, some short of scope or red dot.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.