OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What time of day?

Started by MK M GOBL, February 16, 2017, 03:03:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MK M GOBL

What time of day do you kill most of your birds?

Off the Roost...            His toes hardly touched the ground
Morning...                   Off the roost and within a couple of hours
Mid/late-Morning...      9am till noon   
Noon/Afternoon...        12p-4pm
Late Day...                  4p till close of season 

Anymore most of my birds are killed in that "Mid/Late Morning"

Of course have killed birds during all these timeframes over the years and through different times of each season early to late. Seems like when I started turkey hunting killed a lot more birds during the "Morning". Here in the early part of WI turkey hunting you could only hunt till noon and season closed. Of course dad and I would spend the rest of the day doing some trout fishing, was also a great way to scout hearing and seeing some birds that lead us to knocking on a few doors :)

Here is one of my favorite "Off the Roost" birds!

Here's the longbeard I took during (last) 6th season, hit him with the owl call the night before and again in the morning, I made my set up in the timber within about 60yds of him, all I used were a few soft tree calls and my flydown wing, he gobbled from the roost and I could hear him strutting in the tree, I scratched the leaves a bit and watched him fly down, He came in close looking for his lady and I laid him down! Funny thing I had a little buck standing close by and watched the whole thing go down... Talk about a "Morning" hunt :) He had some good spurs, love these late season hunts.

MK M GOBL

Rzrbac

Mid to late is my favorite time. I would guess I've killed more early than late but I like the late morning birds, they seem to put on a better show!

oldturk

early off the roost most of mine.

guesswho

Normally between 9:30 and 2:30.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

aaron

Early off the roost and first two hours after.   Then another peak around 11-12.  We sgotta stop at 12 the first two weeks in Ohio.  Last two weeks are all day.  Yet to get on a hot evening gobbler in the few years we've had all day hunting

kyturkeyhunter4

Morning off the roost for me

buzzardroost

Morning. I never hear much after 9 or so a lot of years in my area.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BottomLand54

9-11:30 am, 5-6pm..... Most my birds make a big circle and with pressure begin to roost eleswhere! This may change this year but I never ever roost a bird the night before and go sit right under him, I'd rather bring him to me! Just the way I hunt. I also hardly ever run n gun mainly set up and watch the sun come up and listen, call, wait..... And normally boom bang :fud:

TauntoHawk

most the states I hunt you can't hunt past noon or at least the majority of the season so all my kills are before noon and I would say the majority maybe half were first hour of hunting but the last few seasons i've killed a few in that 11-12am window of the last legal hour.

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Dr Juice

MK M GOBL

Quote from: Treerooster on February 16, 2017, 04:00:46 PM
Off the roost and early morning is pretty good for me although I have killed at all times of the day. I think your 4 categories kind of leave out the time between "his toes hardly hit the ground" and "mid morning". That's my best time followed by mid morning.

Here is a "his toes hardly hit the ground" bird. Cool hunt too!

Nice Hooks! So were you able to have that bird aged by the tag? Never have seen a WI bird with a tag, don't know if they do that around here.

MK M GOBL

Happy

Between daylight and 11pm. 

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

J.D. Shellnut

From the time he hits the ground till about 10am. I've killed very few birds after noon. But I don't hunt much after that either. I don't like to just set and wait on him to walk up. I like the mornings when he's more vocal and wanting to show off. During midday I like to scout and walk. And if I get on one that's gobbling and I think I can work him that's a bonus for me.
60% of the time it works every time!

jakesdad

mid morning for me. If its going to happen I usually have one down a half hour after shooting time or between 9-11. Seems I have better luck in the 9-11 timeframe tho.

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

Tail Feathers

I would say most are in the morning by the definition provided.  Gotta love being at the diner for breakfast by 7:00am with a tom in the truck tho. :z-guntootsmiley:
Love to hunt the King of Spring!