OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What time of day?

Started by MK M GOBL, February 16, 2017, 03:03:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kjnengr

Of the 5 turkeys I have killed, 2 have been right off the roost, 1 between 12 and 4:00 and 2 between 4:00 and roosting time. 

DTGobble

Between 9:00-10:30 for me.  Sure is nice when he flies down in your lap though. ;D

THattaway

I ran the numbers from my journal a few years ago when this subject came up somewhere else. It was 30% AM, 40% mid-day and 30% PM for the turkeys I've killed the last 30+ years. I pretty much hunt all day if I can and also hunt some evenings after work each season. May have skewed results some, dunno.
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Naylor649

Most of the time it's been 30-40 minutes after legal shooting time. Also have had good luck around 11-12. We can only hunt till 1 in ILLINOIS. I was scouting a night before my season opener and I wish I could hunt around 4 lol. Had 9 long beards 20 yards in front of me haha. No where to be seen the next morning though.

trkehunr93

Between daylight and noon. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kylongspur88

I guess the most in the morning. I don't have a lot of luck off the roost though. My biggest birds have usually come around lunchtime and into the afternoon.

Killed my heaviest at 5 pm.

Second heaviest at 4 pm.

Most beards and a heavy bird at 12 pm.

When I have the time I try to hunt all day.

TrackeySauresRex

My bests birds always came late. Between 11/12
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Greg Massey

Between daylight and 2:30 in the afternoon...

WildTigerTrout

Mid to late morning. I have way more kills after 9 am than before including the big old bruiser in my avatar.  I killed him at 1030 am.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Hersh

I'd guess most of my birds have come between 9 am and 12 noon.  With the next best being within the first hour. But by far the most after 9 am.

boatpaddle

Late in the season and late in the morning....
Recognize
Adapt
Overcome

hobbes

I have always enjoyed working a bird right off the limb and into the call, and I did that a number of times when I hunted birds with more consistent roosting patterns.  However, even in those days I probably killed most birds an hour or better after flydown (so probably early to mid morning).

In the last 10 years, I've been all over the map on when I've killed them.  I'd say that I still prefer early morning hunting, but I probably kill the majority of my birds from mid morning to late morning now.  Some of those are chased all over God's creation from early morning until I finally connect with them.

ilbucksndux

If not in the first hour of daylight then between 9:30 and noon are my most productive times. I do like killing him just as his feet touch the ground , but I also like to call at him a bit too.
Gary Bartlow

Gobspur

Most of mine have been about an hour or so after flydown, so morning to mid-morning.

Spitten and drummen

Most of my birds go to turkey heaven between 9:30 and noon. Most times if I can get one to gobble after 9:30 , he takes a ride with me. Notice I say most times , not all :funnyturkey:
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE