Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Happy Retirement to Me! Looking to give myself a retirement gun.

Started by Gobblers_nightmare, February 16, 2017, 04:03:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dzsmith

Quote from: BottomLand54 on February 16, 2017, 04:10:48 PM
Since I already have a Benelli sbe3 and a Remington 11-87..... If I had 3 grand to spend I would but a bottomland Browning cynergy over under or the brand new one this year the composit cynergy! I would run me a 0-20 yrs setup in one barrel and a 20-40yd set up in the other barrel. That would be one sweet combo.
couldn't remember the name of that gun. but that turkey model looks flat out sick. im not a browning guy. but I would love to have one of those
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

turkeykiller41

What ever it was would be a 20 gauge auto of some sort,probably  a Franchi youth model.

Gobblers_nightmare

Great advice from all!  Thank you very much for the input.
My setup for last 25 plus years has been an 11-87 Special Purpose with a 21" barrel, and then I put a Speedfeed pistol grip stock on it.  I can't even remember which choke is in it, I ran through everything in the box to see what shot the #6 Longbeard XR's the best.  I've been through multiple sights over the years, right now it has a FastFire III sitting on a Speedbead.
There's not a darn thing wrong with the gun, it kills them dead.  I guess I'm just wanting a new toy.

What I can definitely tell from the comments is that I should check out a Sumtoy choke for it.

I wasn't really considering the 20 because of all the coyote I see.  Given a chance I'll anchor one and go back another day for the turkey.  There is also a fair amount of wild pigs in the area, and I would feel much  better about trying to put one down with a 12.

I'm surprised by some of the comments about the Benelli's kicking hard.  Looking at their literature you'd think it would be more of a kiss than a kick.

You all have given me a lot to consider, and I appreciate it.  I guess the next step is to go to the gun stores and handle them all a bit.

Cluck-Gobble-BOOM!

Swampchickin234

I got my dad to shooting a 20 exclusively the past couple of years. He had the same mentality until he started seeing what I was doing to coyotes and gobblers with federal hw 7 out of that 20. Besides a 28 gauge, he has not picked up a 12 that I know of since. I know you said a 12, but we're it me, I'll jump with the other guys and push a 20!  Start hang loading tss , get a benellie m2 with a 24" bbl, dip it in your favorite pattern, throw a nice sight on top and don't look back!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk