Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Happy Retirement to Me! Looking to give myself a retirement gun.

Started by Gobblers_nightmare, February 16, 2017, 04:03:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gobblers_nightmare

So I figure (I hope) I've probably got another 15-20 good years of gobbler chasing in my future, given family history. 
And I want to get myself a retirement present. 
What's the softest shooting tightest patterning gun and choke out there?  Patterning is the first priority, recoil is second (my multiple surgery shooting shoulder disagrees, vehemently).  I've been shooting Longbeard XL's since they came out, but am willing to work to find the best loads. 
I'm really not looking to shoot over 40 yards, I just hate picking shot and losing meat. 
Money is an object, but not until I get over 3K.  I want to stay with a 12 gauge, and I prefer as short a barrel as possible.
I welcome any input.  Well, I welcome rational input.  ;D  Thanks to you all.
Cluck-Gobble-BOOM!

1iagobblergetter

Since 20g. is out of the question I'd give the M2 Benelli 12g.a look. I think the shortest barrel is 24in. though. I'd probably call Sumtoy for the choke. Also because your under $3,000 I'd grab a Remington 1187 of some configuration as a back up gun just for an extra pat on the back .Lol....

hookedspur

Benelli M2 12 .
You can get 18.5" - 21" barrel and have a very nice gun .

But with todays loads available you can put together a very nice 20ga rig that will
perform as well as the 12s would.

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

MK M GOBL

I'd be looking at a Benelli

The Benelli Performance Shop Turkey Edition shotguns are the ultimate turkey guns with Performance Shop enhancements by Rob Roberts, world renowned for shot pattern development. A Burris® FastFire II™ sight is fitted to each gun, which is then pattern tested with Federal Premium Ammunition. Computer printouts are provided to show actual points-of-impact in 10-, 20-, and 30-inch circles. Choose the SBE II model for 12-ga., 3.5" mag. loads or the M2 model for a 20-ga. option. Benelli Turkey Edition shotguns are fitted with a ComforTech® stock. The 12-gauge model includes a SteadyGrip™ buttstock as well.

MK M GOBL

dirt road ninja

Benelli is probably going to be the softest shooting. All of them can pattern well. Patterning lies more in the choke and ammo than the gun. Quality ammo making the biggest difference.

bbcoach

First, CONGRATULATIONS on your retirement!  I retired 5 years ago and it is a wonderful life.  My suggestion would be a semi-auto like the Benelli as well.  Since you have a bum shoulder, shoot the 3" LB's in 5's or 6's.  A Sumtoy choke would be a great place to start.  Good Luck with your search and Happy Retirement!

BottomLand54

My Benelli sbe 2 and now my sbe3 both have tremendous recoil over my Remington 11-87.... If it was my 3 grand I would either A) buy the Benelli turkey gun, or B) buy a nice 12 guage and a nice 20 guage set up. I am probaly gonna get me a 20 guage gun in the near future and begin learning to load tss hand loads.

1iagobblergetter

Quote from: MK M GOBL on February 16, 2017, 06:21:51 AM
I'd be looking at a Benelli

The Benelli Performance Shop Turkey Edition shotguns are the ultimate turkey guns with Performance Shop enhancements by Rob Roberts, world renowned for shot pattern development. A Burris® FastFire II™ sight is fitted to each gun, which is then pattern tested with Federal Premium Ammunition. Computer printouts are provided to show actual points-of-impact in 10-, 20-, and 30-inch circles. Choose the SBE II model for 12-ga., 3.5" mag. loads or the M2 model for a 20-ga. option. Benelli Turkey Edition shotguns are fitted with a ComforTech® stock. The 12-gauge model includes a SteadyGrip™ buttstock as well.

MK M GOBL
If I was going to go the Turkey Edition route I would just buy a SBE2 and ship it to Rob for all of the improvements. A few years back when I checked it was alot cheaper going that route. Unless you have to have the Turkey Edition I'd go that route. Anymore if your worried about recoil I'd buy the M2 (3in.)as stated by MKMGOBL in the 20 or 12 with the pistol grip and send that to Rob Robert's Gunworks I forgot about him until someone was asking about the Turkey Edition on another post. He use to like the Fed Heavyweight #7s through them ,but could've changed since I talked with him a few years back...

SteelerFan

With a $3k budget - your options are wide open.

Option 1

Go top shelf, ready to hunt Benelli custom for @ $2600

Option 2*

Go with your favorite flavor / brand of semi-auto. Look long and hard at Weatherby SA ($650), Winchester Sx3 ($925), Rem 11-87 ($650).

Buy 2

Get a 12 ga (you said preference) & a 20 ga. Top them with a FastFire optic and custom chokes (like a Sumtoy).

You could buy a matching set of:

Weatherby 12 & 20 autos for $1250
Pair of FastFire (or equivalent) for $450
2 custom chokes for $140.
Total - $1840 +/-

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=weatherby+sa459

Double B

I've never equated soft shooting with a Benelli.  Beretta gas gun, yes, but unless they've changed, Benelli will pound you.  I've shot them enough to know, I'm getting old and beat up so I tend to prefer a good gas gun in a turkey auto.....  No offense intended to you Benelli shooters!   Great reliable gun, just not my preference for this situation where recoil is an issue.  If you want a soft shooting auto 12 for turkey I like a Beretta.   

But.....my #1 vote for your retirement build would be to customize an old O/U with selective triggers, barrels cut to length with XX full turkey and modified or IC chokes, stock cut or lengthened to fit you perfectly and dipped in your favorite camo, good sights, recoil pad, sling, etc.   So there's a couple options and thoughts besides Benelli, which is a super firearm, just not my type for your application.   Most importantly,  enjoy that retirement, like my buddy says......."every day is like a Saturday ".     ;D
Followed by buzzards

g8rvet

Just curious, but why 12 g?  I went 20 due to a pinched nerve in my neck.  With modern loads, spend your money on an excellent choke and shells and you will be happy with performance and recoil.  If you want a new hobby, handload TSS.  You could get a tureky setup 20 of your choice, but all the reloading components and waste a bunch and still be way under budget.  Tuning it up for hunting will add a month of fun to your hunting season as well - getting it ready is a blast.

I went with Weatherby SA-459 in 20 and am tickled with it.  Read the thread in the 20 section if you are interested.  I also love the looks I get when the turkey hunters see my pop-gun. 

I don't shoot Semi in 12 for ducks and geese (O/U only for me), so what the above guys said is better advice than I could give. 

Congrats on retirement as well!   :anim_25:
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

BottomLand54

Since I already have a Benelli sbe3 and a Remington 11-87..... If I had 3 grand to spend I would but a bottomland Browning cynergy over under or the brand new one this year the composit cynergy! I would run me a 0-20 yrs setup in one barrel and a 20-40yd set up in the other barrel. That would be one sweet combo.

CrustyRusty

I havent shot one, but it is reported that the new Remington V3 is very soft shooting.  I have a sbe2, but if I was looking for a new turkey gun I would give that a hard look, and then I would also get a M2 in 20 gauge as well if I had 3k to spend.

Unfortunately, the V3 only comes in a twenty six or twenty eight, so your options are going to be a mossberg, sx3, benelli or weatherby if you want a short barrel. 

Fullfan

I will second this " Congrats on retirement"  I retired 3 years ago at 49 and never looked back. When I retired I also bought my self a turkey gun, Remington 11-87 sure shot mag. But then along came the 20ga.

I encourage you to keep an open mind about the ga you choose. The 20ga guns are lighter and with the right choke and load combo they are very lethal out to 40. Also would be a lighter recoil.

I bought a Weatherby sa-459, topped it with a Fast fire 3 and put a sumtoy choke in it. Total investment is less than 950.00.   

That little gun shoots federal Heviewight #7 just as good as any of my 3" 12ga guns.
Don't gobble at me...

dzsmith

the long skinny benneli stock even with the pistol grip are pretty brutal on recoil. benelli makes a fine gun no doubt, but like others have said, they kick. they just do. reguardless of how much of  man it makes you feel like to shoot a gun that kicks. your human nature will catch up to you eventually . flinching, pulling , etc. get a gas gun unless you just have to have the benelli
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."