turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How many springs ??

Started by BowBendr, February 15, 2017, 07:48:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rifleman

This will be my 42nd spring.  From what I remember we didn't have a spring season in my area prior to my USAF time which ended Dec. 74.  I ambushed one in the spring of 1975.  I was fishing on Sunday morning (day before opening of season) and a bird was gobbling his head off on the ridge behind me.  I had some kind of box call and went after him on opening day and he'd gobble each time I made a noise.  He walked past me at 25 yds. And I had not seen a wild turkey before and wasn't sure it was a turkey.  He dropped off the top toward the river and then gobbled, not knowing better I sneaked over to kill him.  He saw me and took off running and at about 50 yds. I shot and he rolled backwards flopping.  I ran down to him and shot him in the head with the .22 barrel.  The gun then was a Revelations 20ga/.22.  I could not have been more excited.  Fresher in my mind than most recent birds.  42 years later and a lot of changes in equipment and tactics/knowledge.  About 2 months until my neighboring state of VA opening day.

BB30

This will be spring #19 for me. I started when I was 8 with dad and some good family friends. Was hooked almost immediately. At least as hooked as an 8 YO can be. I couldn't sit still very long and if birds weren't cooperating I would want to talk and joke with dad. Those early years were and are still some of my best memories with dad. I now have my first little one on the way and hope she has at least some interest in spending time with dad in the woods. I wouldn't trade any of the memories made with dad in the woods for anything. I was fortunate to get to learn and spend time at camp with some great men and great turkey hunters. It is amazing to me just how much has changed even since I first started 19 years ago, I can't imagine what it was like 40 years ago.

jblackburn

This is year 20 for me.  First went in 1997, never actually saw a bird but had one gobbling to me with dad's old Roger Latham box call, killed number one the next year.
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

SKFOOTER

This will be my 42nd spring to chase the Thunder Chickens.   :turkey2:

Meadow Valley Man

I killed my first gobbler on April 19th, 1984, the first day I hunted turkeys. It was Wisconsin's second turkey season. I hadn't applied for the first season, because I didn't know a thing about turkeys or really care.  My Dad asked me if I wanted to try it, and I told him, yeah, I'll give it a try. We drew for the first of three four day seasons, and I remember scouting and hearing my first gobble on March 30th, 1984. I can't remember the movie my wife and I watched last week, but I remember EVERYTHING about that first hunt with my Dad. That hunt changed my hunting life. On the second day of the season my 66 year old Dad killed a gobbler, and ours were 2 of the 300 plus turkeys killed that spring.

We didn't draw in 1985, and it drove me nuts.  So, Dad and I started our annual Missouri hunt in 1986 because we HAD to hunt turkeys. I'll be there for my 32nd spring this year. Now I'm almost as old as Dad was when he killed his first gobbler, and the fire burns just as bright.

Turkey hunting changed more than just my hunting life. I got into it so much, that I started competing in calling contests. I was successful in winning the Wisconsin open twice in the 1990's. I called in the Grand Nationals in 1992. Calling in front of audience, and later, running turkey hunter education clinics for the Wisconsin Chapter of NWTF and the WDNR helped cure me of being extremely nervous when speaking to groups. It helped me in my working life.

But the most important thing turkey hunting did for me was the impact it had on the relationship I had with my Dad. We grew so close because of turkey hunting, and I am forever grateful for that. Every time I kneel beside a downed longbeard, I think of my Dad, and I wonder if he knows how thankful I am that he asked me to try turkey hunting.

mspaci

kjnengr

This will be my 8th.  I didn't start turkey hunting until my late 20's. 

Spring Creek Calls

This will be year 43. Would have been more if the turkey relocation had started earlier in Michigan. As someone mentioned earlier, and seriously got my attention,  got more years behind me than are ahead of me. Be safe fellers!
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

kelley91

next door neighbor took me turkey hunting my first time when  was 13. I will be 75 in june. we hunted in the  mountains of south east tn. turkeys were few and far between. did not kill one for several years after that. with raising a family military service and what have you (job) did not hunt on a regular basic until I was somewhere around 35 but I am still going ever day the season is open.

Spitten and drummen

36 springs hunting turkeys. I hope the good lord gives me at least that many more. I know when my time here is done , my family , friends , dogs and turkey hunting is about all I will hate saying goodbye to.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Rzrbac

Love this thread!  A ton of experienced hunters here from all walks of life yet it seems like a lot of us came up similar. Thanks for starting this one!

AndyH

THattaway

"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

WildTigerTrout

Started hunting the fall of 1972 at age 12 and killed my first turkey in 1975.  If I count right that's about 45 years!
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

boatpaddle

Wow......

48th spring.......No wonder, my wife gave me a camo'ed walker for Christmas..... :o

Recognize
Adapt
Overcome