News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How many springs ??

Started by BowBendr, February 15, 2017, 07:48:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

silvestris

Quote from: owlhoot on February 15, 2017, 09:03:54 PM
A Leroy Braungart 33 album for instruction and inspiration.

By the watch?

"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

C.Kimzey95

Amazed at all the years of turkey hunting knowledge on here. This will be my 7th spring. I just hope I get to hunt as many as some of you guys have already hunted!  :icon_thumright:

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Bowguy

33 and it's amazing, I'm apparently one of the new guys. God bless ya all n now it's obvious why guys are so knowledgeable on this forum

oldturk

36 years for me,hope for a few more.

Dr Juice

wvmntnhick

Technically, it's my 21st. Started going after them with my grandfather when I was about 14 or so. Didn't really get into it real hard in the beginning. It was something to do. Gained more interest when I turned 17 and that interest continued to grow. Can't say it really went full tilt until a few years ago though. Last year being the worst. Got bit by the turkey bug harder last spring than ever before and it was a tough pill to swallow not connecting with a bird. Very enjoyable but they certainly handed it to me last year. This spring will be different though. Glad it's coming up soon.

Herb McClure

Bowbender, from NC. Yep, I had been hunting mt. gobblers for 20 years in the north GA. mountains when you first started. I killed my first gobbler in 1958; the second gobbler I had encountered that same day. All the things you guys relate to, I too have been there. That's 60 turkey season for me last season; 1956---2016.

gergg

50 years for me counting going with my dad, I killed my first bird by myself in 1977.....wow, so long ago, time flies, better enjoy them while we can.
https://www.gwaltneygamecalls.com/

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls
2022 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call (Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 2nd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF Grand Nationals - 3rd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF S.E. Call Makers Contest - 4th Place Trumpet Calls

nitro

Killed my first longbeard in Wilkes County, GA in April of 1978. Remember it like it happened this morning. I still don't know who was more surprised - me or him :TooFunny:

Like someone wrote earlier in the thread, the fire still burns hot. Reality is that I have fewer years ahead than behind me.. I still enjoy hunting, and killing turkeys.
Royal Slam 2008

Cut N Run

I started hunting turkeys in 1982 without much of a clue or many birds to hunt.  So, it will be 35 years for me this Spring.  Back in the day, I had some military surplus woodland camo and those mesh green camo gloves that seemed like they were made to attract mosquitoes more than anything else.  I bought a Lynch box call from a buddy that he never could get to run right.  It seemed to work well enough for me once I got the hang of it.  I wish I still had access to some of the land I used to hunt.  It is covered up by a subdivision these days. It was great while it lasted.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

trkehunr93

Quote from: Happy on February 15, 2017, 08:08:36 PM
Should add that I was self taught. Started trying to kill turkeys with a full choked new englander 20 guage and a lohman turkey tracer call.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

I too had the old lohman turkey tracer. 

TauntoHawk

Gotta Respect how long some of you guys have been chasing these silly birds around and still have that fire

This will be my 17th season of hunting age but the first 7 years my turkey hunting career consisted of 1 single day of hunting at my Uncles just getting out there not knowing what the heck I was doing. Once I stumbled into a bird and killed my first one at 19 I knew I wanted to get more serious and I've been chasing them as much as possible since.

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

goblr77

This will be my 21st spring. I didn't discover turkey hunting until my college years. My dad lived to deer hunt but never took an interest in turkey hunting.

J.D. Shellnut

14 springs! I went a few times when I was younger but didn't get into it till my early twenties. I killed my first turkey a jake in 2004 in a place called red dirt. A old man who was known as a turkey guru told me if you can kill a bird there you can kill one anywhere. That has stuck with me till this day and has served me well as a confidence booster many times when times got tough. I still talk to that old man at the dump sometimes. He'll actually talk turkey with me now! lol
60% of the time it works every time!