turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How many springs ??

Started by BowBendr, February 15, 2017, 07:48:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MK M GOBL

Somewhat of a young gun on here, this will be my 28th spring!

Here in WI we never had wild turkeys when I was a kid... so my first season I was 22.

MK M GOBL

Clif Owen

Well...I first picked a call up in 1982. A buddy of mine wanted to try it so we sort of partnered up and attacked the woods near a local lake. I was working a week on and a week off at the time. And most of the days I did work were afternoons so I probably missed 3 or 4 days of the 30 or so it was open. Then I changed jobs and other stuff came up so I did not turkey hunt again for 30 years. Yes..I said 30. In fact; I for awhile actually despised them. Called them feathered rats. We can bait deer here and they kept eating my corn. At least I could do something about hogs but turkeys were safe. Then a funny thing happened. A guy that worked for me invited me to go with him. He called up a bird and I was able to shoot him. That lit a fire inside me that I pray never dies out again.

guesswho

Killed my first turkey, a hen in the fall of 1965 in Florida sitting between my Dads legs listening to him tell me when to shoot.   Our first spring was 1966 and we haven't missed a spring since.  So this will be #51.   I hope you don't mind but here's a picture of my first turkey ever from so many years ago.   This was before we realized you needed camo to turkey hunt.   I think the first turkeys we killed while wearing camo was around 1970.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

MISSISSIPPI Double beard

I got serious about turkey hunting after I got through being serious about softball playing. That was 22 years ago. I have hunted close to 25 springs
They call him...Kenny..Kenny

owlhoot

38 years
A single shot 12 , a lynch jet and a penn woods mouth call to start .
A Leroy Braungart 33 album for instruction and inspiration.

FLGobstopper

TANK

25 springs for me, I was 10. First time was with my grandpa in Woodville, Ms. He was old school, born Leap year, Feb 29 1920. Yelp and get a answer, then SHUT UP! Always said that BS on Tv was just people trying to sell ya stuff. He grew up hunting the old breed that was in the Florida Parish's of Louisiana before the 2nd World War. I inherited a call from him that his daddy made with his pocket knife, looks similar to a Lynch Jet Slate. Calls 75-100 years old and will go back to Woodville, Ms on March 15 this year....

BowBendr

Quote from: owlhoot on February 15, 2017, 09:03:54 PMA Leroy Braungart 33 album for instruction and inspiration.

Wow, there's a name from the past !!

renegade19

Quote from: guesswho on February 15, 2017, 08:46:46 PM
Killed my first turkey, a hen in the fall of 1965 in Florida sitting between my Dads legs listening to him tell me when to shoot.   Our first spring was 1966 and we haven't missed a spring since.  So this will be #51.   I hope you don't mind but here's a picture of my first turkey ever from so many years ago.   This was before we realized you needed camo to turkey hunt.   I think the first turkeys we killed while wearing camo was around 1970.

:icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

renegade19

I'm old but I got a late start.  April of 2008 was my first hunt.  Saw my first gobbler strutting, about messed my pants!  Didn't get him but later on that day I killed one that had just got the butt whoopin of a lifetime from another gobbler.  He came running in to find the hen that was talking nice to him.  He had no spurs but did have a good beard.  I've been hooked ever since that day!

pabossie255

38 for me I got my first bird with no camo and my fall hen with no camo my spring gobbler I was in camo.

Old Timer53

It will be 40 yrs this spring

:turkey2:

Gamblinman

I harvested my first turkey in the fall of 1969, so this will be my 47th spring hunting wild turkeys. I don't care to run and gun anymore, but the passion is stronger than ever.
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

wvlimbhanger

#25 for me. Started when I was 10 with my dad. Turkeys were just starting a comeback here in WV. Pretty cool looking back both of us learning as newcomers over the same time period.

Vaturkeyhntr

Started when I was 9 killing my first longbeard.  I'll be 32 in April so it's 23 years for me.