turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Used Silverado / Sierr@

Started by hobbes, February 15, 2017, 01:07:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hobbes

Any of you guy own 2011 to 2013 Silverado or Sierr@ .  I'm looking at used in the under 75,000 mile range, but wondered about reliability after 75,000.  My Tacoma is at 167,000 with no major problems other than normal wear and tear.  I'd prefer to go with the 5.3.

davisd9

Be cautious of trucks with the AFM. Many have had problems. I think if people changed the oil more often than they do it would not be a huge issue, but that is my theory. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

jblackburn

I have an 11 with the 5.3 and if wasn't for the fuel management system it would be a great truck. I had an 01 with over 200k that never had a powertrain issue.

The FMS can cause issues of misfire in the #1 and/or #7 cylinders. I bought mine used with 22k and didn't know this, I they had to rebuild the motor at 40k (under warranty, i didn't pay a dime).  It's not all of the trucks, supposedly the later 11s and 12s don't have that issue as much.

I'd pull the plugs if I were you to see if it looks like oil has been burnt.
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

jblackburn

Quote from: davisd9 on February 15, 2017, 01:10:13 PM
Be cautious of trucks with the AFM. Many have had problems. I think if people changed the oil more often than they do it would not be a huge issue, but that is my theory. Good luck!

I religiously change mine at 3000, even though GM says 5k. still had the issue
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

davisd9

Quote from: jblackburn on February 15, 2017, 01:12:39 PM
Quote from: davisd9 on February 15, 2017, 01:10:13 PM

I religiously change mine at 3000, even though GM says 5k. still had the issue

Well that is why it is a theory and not fact, lol.

Hate you have to deal with it.

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Gamblinman

'13 with 6.0. Don't have AFM. Gas mileage ain't great, but pulls the boat, ranger or golf cart well.
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

Muzzy61

Had a 01 and a 08 Silverado that both had over 190,000 miles when i sold them. Still see with on the road around town today. I currently have a 2012 with over 90,000 miles going strong. Never had a issue with any of them.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

aaron

I have a 2007 Silverado.  5.3 liter v8.  175,000 miles and all I've done is brakes tires and oil changes and preventative maintenance.   100,000 miles on these they are just getting broken in

Yoder409

'09 Silverado 5.3 & 4 spd auto with 96k............

Pretty much only normal maintenance other than a front 4wd knuckle.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

slicksbeagles1

I'm not positive but there is a website that you can lookup the most common problems with about any vehicle I think this is the site I found when trying to find out about my 04 3.0 v6 ranger I wish I had checked before for I bought it I would have found out about the head problems I had to repair. I will double check to make sure but I believe this is it  https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=3&ved=0ahUKEwjgt8C-sJPSAhWIhlQKHYXmCq0QFggOMAI&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.nhtsa.gov%2Fcars%2Fproblems&usg=AFQjCNEA8BxbFwbF0_IPUiOnAEpDyhd_nA

owlhoot

Two 96's and one with 277,000 and one with 87,000  5.7 liters and no afm, thanks .The way that works is not good.
No auto select 4x4 mode either. E85 locker rear end.
Did have the tranny rebuilt at 201 ,000 in the one.

turkey harvester

Driving a 98 gmc with 5.0 305. I have a 5 speed in it and I guess at 199,000 miles I'll put a clutch in it. Don't use any oil and I get 23 mpg. Sadie won't let me down. Our auto tech teacher has a triton V10 with almost 400,000 miles on a gas burner. Only replaced radiator.
TURKEY NUT CUSTOM STRIKERS- Jeffrey Thompson-Owner.  Kathleen,GA
Hunt with your kids, not for them.

Hunt with your kids, not for them.

ferocious calls

389,750 on my F250 5.4 triton, nicely broke in now. Last truck was a chevy 1500, 2 new trannys and needed a third by 260,000 and became scrap.

RS

I wish I had read stuff like this thread before I bought a 2011 Silverado last Aug.  Its been OK so far but I'm hearing not too good reports about the AFM system on the 5.3 engine.  Has any one used one the plug in devices to shut off the AFM?

If I had to do it over, I would have waited to look for another F150 to replace my 04 with 205000.  It was a good truck.

davisd9

Quote from: RS on February 16, 2017, 09:23:58 AM
I wish I had read stuff like this thread before I bought a 2011 Silverado last Aug.  Its been OK so far but I'm hearing not too good reports about the AFM system on the 5.3 engine.  Has any one used one the plug in devices to shut off the AFM?

If I had to do it over, I would have waited to look for another F150 to replace my 04 with 205000.  It was a good truck.

Some do take it out of the system.