OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Going from full size truck to mid size....

Started by TheSportsman, February 14, 2017, 10:08:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheSportsman

I've owned 2 GMC Sierr@  z71s.... I'm really thinking about going to a Toyota Tacoma, but unsure on size. Any one gone from a full-size pickup to a smaller one? How was it? Just me and wife, no kids. I'm 5'10" and 235lbs. Sure seems like the yotas run forever. Both gmcs I've had get 130-140k on them and stuff just goes to hell.

MK M GOBL

Have you thought of Tundra with Double Cab? Went down to a "small" truck with extended cab... next one will be back to a full size. lost to much "room" never know when I might have more than 2 and lost the room in the bed of truck too... Always feel cramped and for the most part not that much difference in mileage with 4X4's.

MK M GOBL

Greg Massey

I would stay with a full size. Had a small truck along with my big truck, with a V6 and it wasn't any better on gas than my V8....Ride is better and you will have a lot more protection from a accident..Big truck for me...

WV Ridge Reaper

Coming from two 06 diesel crew cabs went to a 12 tacoma double cab sport

Wouldn't trade it for anything,don't feel like I'm lacking room at all..Plus I bought a tacoma so I sold all my tools and bought more turkey gear!!

Honestly I've got everything I need,it's got some pep to it.Not sure I'd buy a brand new off the lot tacoma if I was to get a new one,I have not talked to one person that went from old to new and is 100 percent happy

brimmyfish

I would steer clear of the 2016 tacomas. I bought one back in february. It was a 4 door trd off road with auto trans. At 3100 miles and numerous visits back to the dealership, Toyota had to replace the transmission. It was downshifting so hard that it would bark the tires going from 3rd to 2nd gear. The day I went and picked up the truck after the new transmission was installed, it started slipping on the way home from the dealership. They "repaired" the new transmission and I sold the truck asap. Also ran into a couple other guys at the dealership with similar problems. If you go 2016 tacoma I would stick with the manual transmission. Just my opinion.

pabossie255

My buddy I hunt with has a Tacoma that truck has great pick up and go and we drove through some nasty mud holes during buck season this year no problem.

wvmntnhick

I've not had a full size in years but when I'm getting 18-19 mpg with the S10 and the full size is getting 18-19 mpg, I'll not have another mid size truck unless it's a Tacoma 4 door. Granted, I've got a wife and two small children but still, the difference in room is ridiculous and the smaller truck generally isn't that much cheaper. Only thing I like about have the shorter, narrower wheel base is that I can drive it into tighter areas. For that matter, I could just as easily haul the 4-wheeler.

maytom

Switched from a 2009 Silverado to a 2016 Tacoma last August. Went with the TRD Sport model Crew cab short box. Love this truck!!! It has the best resale value and dependability of any vehicle on the market!!! Use to get 17mpg tops on my chevy, with only 5,000 miles on this Tacoma I'm already getting 24 on the Highway!!! Go for it!!!

Tail Feathers

I love my Tacoma.  I've been in it for 7 years after having a Dodge for 13 before it.
We are about the same size and I wouldn't recommend it for anyone much bigger, but it fits me just fine.  And my Tacoma experience has been a good one.  No complaints here.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

hobbes

I've been in an 06 Tacoma Double Cab (TRD Off Rd) since 08.  It's got 167,000 miles on it now.  It has been a great truck with very few repairs needed.  It has plenty of room for two.  We used to haul all three kids in it, but they are well past the age to make that a good idea for anything more than a short trip now.  The biggest problem I've had with it is bed size.  It has the short bed, so it doesn't take much to fill it up.  A topper would have been a benefit anytime I travelled with it.  The trucks have more than enough pep unless you are planning to tow a big camper.  It has been a fantastic truck for hunting, especially on some of these small mountain roads.

I'm actually looking at used trucks now so I can turn the 06 over to my oldest.  I've been looking at 2012 or newer Silverado's or Sierr@ 's in a crew cab.  Trucks have gotten so danged expensive that I can't even think about a new one.  It looks like the 5.3 gets as good of gas mileage as the Tacoma, but I get the room to haul everyone if I need to.  However, the Tacoma has been a great truck and I have no doubt that I could buy one with 100,000 miles and not be worried about it falling apart provided the previous owner took care of it.

If I decide to go with another Tacoma, I'll be looking for the double cab with the longer bed and a topper.

troutfisher13111

I went from a F150 to a Tacoma and am never looking back!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Greg Massey

Quote from: Terry on February 15, 2017, 11:11:26 AM
I went from a F150 to a Tacoma and am never looking back!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
You better look back or your going to run over something... :TooFunny:

blake_08

I have a full size f150 for traveling and family use (gets driven very little. 300 miles a month) I also have a 2000 toyota tundra access cab first gen to hunt in and drive to work. These trucks are beasts with the 4.7 V8. Gas mileage is around 16 mpg with 33s on it and it's been super dependable. Mines got 167k on it but I have no doubt it'll go twice that. The first generation tundra is about the same size as a new Tacoma so if you're looking for a used Toyota I wouldn't forget about these. I sure love mine!

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Cut N Run

I've got a 2WD 2000 4 cyl. Tacoma that I use for work, hunting, & hauling my kayak to the water.  It has over 275K miles and still gets 29 MPG.  It doesn't like to go in the snow and seriously lacks power, but I have an F250 that we use to pull the horse trailer and do the heavy lifting. My Tacoma has hauled loads of deer and turkeys out of the woods and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Cutt

Quote from: TheSportsman on February 14, 2017, 10:08:22 PM
Both gmcs I've had get 130-140k on them and stuff just goes to hell.

Wow, not very good with todays standards, I have a 6 cyl. 4WD  ranger with 230,000 and still going. Not sure what I'll get next? but always like the bigger Rangers, V6 not the 4's, might be an option as they are to start making them again?