turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Favorite 20 gauge set up

Started by blake_08, February 14, 2017, 11:04:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blake_08

For all those who have/has had a 20 gauge setup, what was/is your favorite? I've got 2 sons and expecting another in june, the oldest being 5 years old. It'll be time pretty soon to get him set up with his own gun so i figured i'd keep an eye out for a good 20 and gradually set it up over the next year or two. If you were going to build a great turkey killing rig for a growing child and into young teenage years, what would it be? Feel free to recommend guns, chokes, and loads. I have 0 experience with a 20 gauge. Thanks everyone.

Greg Massey

I would start him or her out with a youth Rem. 21 inch barrel and just use the full choke that comes with the gun. Look for a good 2 3/4 shell with 6 or 7 shot...Start the kids out with a low brass shell for target practice and learning the gun..As a kid becomes older you can change the stock out to a full size and still have a great turkey gun..I really like my youth build in the Rem 20 gauge... Nothing  wrong with the Mossberg, i just like the safety on the Rem for a kid and myself..

Tail Feathers

I would give consideration to the gun's weight as well.  I bought a CVA single shot 20 and at just over 5 lbs. it's so sweet I'm going to con my teenage grandsons into carrying the SX3 and I'll tote the CVA. :whip2: :toothy12:
Seriously, it's a sweet shooting, short, light gun that shoots 160 in the 10" circle at 40 yards with Federal HW 7's and the factory choke.  I added a sling and a red dot and went hunting.  It's a hammer gun so the trigger is excellent.
They don't make them anymore but if you can find one on-line you won't regret the purchase.

Love to hunt the King of Spring!

yella yelper

Quote from: Greg Massey on February 14, 2017, 12:37:30 PM
I would start him or her out with a youth Rem. 21 inch barrel and just use the full choke that comes with the gun. Look for a good 2 3/4 shell with 6 or 7 shot...Start the kids out with a low brass shell for target practice and learning the gun..As a kid becomes older you can change the stock out to a full size and still have a great turkey gun..I really like my youth build in the Rem 20 gauge... Nothing  wrong with the Mossberg, i just like the safety on the Rem for a kid and myself..
Only thing I'll add to that is a reflex sight. The red dot takes the guessing/distraction of lining up the shot.  Just put dot on his head and bang

BB30

Quote from: Greg Massey on February 14, 2017, 12:37:30 PM

I still hunt with my old rem youth model 20 with 21 inch barrel from time to time, especially if I plan walking a ways that day.

Hoofman

Another vote for the Remington youth 870. When you finish it, and shoot it at paper you won't wanna give it up. I run a trulock choke and fed hw 7s in mine. My nephew killed his first bird with it last year. He has laid claim to the gun so I may have to build another one. Also would recommend a red dot reflex type sight. May save a little heartache with a child.

blake_08

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll for sure put a red dot on it. I just didn't know what brand of gun most preferred in the 20. I didn't if there was one specific model that did better than others. I see a lot of people shooting sumtoy chokes in them as well as SSX chokes. I know some HTL load will work best in the 20 but if anyone has some specific combinations that works good for them I'm all ears. This is a great place for information. Lots of wisdom and experience here.

Hoofman

The Federal  heavyweight # 7,s seem to always be the top choice in 20 gauge.  I shoot Trulock and I know Sumtoy both make a choke specifically for that load.  I have had great results with mine. Before  I tried the federal I had decent patterns with hevishot mag blends as well.

Sand Man

My current gun started life as a Remington 870 Youth 20ga.  I stripped the gun completely down, took the receiver to a smith to drill/tap/attach rail, polished/deep cleaned barrel, replaced forearm with a synthetic from Remington, installed an adjustable Knoxx stock with a Limbsaver, and a Burris FFII sits on top with a WarBird guard.  I sanded it down, primed, and painted it with multiple stencils and lots of time.  I hand load 1 5/8oz of TSS #9.5s and run it thru a Remington Super Full "lead only" choke.  It will flat stomp turkeys.  Killed a slam with it last year.

Going to the 20ga was simple for me.  I love to run and gun, and if you've never chased a Rio they take "run" to a whole new level.  Having a smaller, lighter, more compact gun has been a god send.  I also hunt with a lot of newbies and kids.  I wanted something I could adjust the stock on to fit them as well as not bruise on the other end when they shot.  This gun does that in spades.  I've currently built 11 guns just like this one for family in friends.  I'm in process of building two more, but Knoxx stopped making the stocks so I'm using Remington's SureShot stock.  When the kids get old enough they will use this gun, and I'll carry the SureShot.

I think it will be super cool for both my kids to kill a slam with it as well.

Let the little twenty EAT!!!!

Yoder409

Right now all I can say is that the H&R/NEF 20 gauge singles make a very nice, lightweight, simple...............yet very effective............turkey hunting tool.

We're running 4 of them at the moment..............

My little Pickle gal AND the local gobbler population will attest to the effectiveness of FHW 7's out of a somewhat worked over, single 20............

PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Marc

Is this going to be a dedicated turkey gun, or will it be used for wing-shooting and/or clays?

I have started a few kids (not mine) and several women wing-shooting and clay shooting...

*Gun fit is huge, and a well-fit gun will reduce felt recoil and allow the woman/child to shoot the gun better (and more safely).  I always look for a gun with a wooden stock so that it can be cut to fit.

*Recoil is a huge issue for women and children...  I never felt the recoil as a child, and had some horrible bruises from shooting way to many shells at doves on opening weekend... But, I have had some issues with flinching to this day...  And for a kid that is not so driven to shoot, that recoil could very well be off-putting.  If you are going to be wing/clay shooting, I would highly recommend a gas-operated semi-automatic for reduced felt recoil.

*Weight (as mentioned).  If the child cannot easily mount the gun, they will not be able to effectively shoot it, and very well could create a safety issue.

Of course the above advice is given on the basis of purchasing a gun that will be used for more than just turkey hunting, which generally involves a bit more skill to hit flying/fast-moving targets, and is generally involved with a higher volume of shooting...

Even with a dedicated turkey gun, I would be looking for means to adjust the LOP of the stock...  The recoil would be less of an issue, but I would not rush a child into shooting a high-recoil gun.  Those single-shot 20 gauge guns often kick more than our 12 gauage guns, and that child will still have to put some rounds on paper.

As far as loads and chokes, I would think that a 7/8 oz load of #6's out of a modified choke would kill a bird easy out to 30 yards or so...  Tighten up the choke and increase the payload as the child becomes more proficient at shooting, and big enough to handle a bit more recoil.

Also, when practicing on paper, shoot the lightest loads available...  That goes for adults as well.  When I am patterning for POI/POA, I use light target loads to figure out where the gun is shooting.  Hopefully I only have to put one or two of my far more expensive and higher recoiling loads on paper to see how the pattern is.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

wvmntnhick

If talking kids, I'd not get a single shot of any make or model. The reality of it is that they kick like a son of a gun. Don't care if it's field loads, trap loads or turkey loads, they all have more recoil than should be allowed by the Geneva convention. Set up a gun with a bit of weight and a properly fitted stock so they don't get walloped and turn away from the sport. If I were dead set on a single shot however, I'd find an old beater Winchester 37 and set it up with a limb saver recoil pad. Otherwise, I'd be using either the 870 pump or a gas operated gun.

hookedspur

Here is my 870 compact (after I added and subtracted ) it started life as a Laminated Compact 20ga.
I replaced the stock and forearm and had it dipped. For a child several good after market chokes are available
but the Rem Choke extra full will get the job done. I chose a recoil reducing stock and a longer forearm for Grand Daughters
shorter arms and young shoulder. I have a Burris FF on it now for easy an both eyes open sight plane.
I also have an Indian Creek 555 that I put in it when I carry it.

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

davisd9

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

eorlando

Hookedspur and David9 what pistol grip is that and is that on an 870 youth model