OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Patterning range

Started by tha bugman, February 14, 2017, 08:19:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tha bugman

I'm a pattern junky like many here and  40 yards is my standard distance.  This year I have decided to make 30 yards my standard and limit shots to that max....I'm already preparing myself to have several birds walk by at 40..????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

agent eight seven O

I hear ya on the 30 yard range. I guess I am just more comfortable at 30 yards. I know it is easy to produce really tight patterns at 30 yards, but I like to find even patterns. For me 30 yards is a long shot on turkeys.

yella yelper

To each his own I guess. I've killed several in the 30-40 yard range.

dirt road ninja

More power to you. Will you be selecting a weapon with a max range of 30 yards? When I bow hunt turkeys, I take all my pins off, but the 20 yard. My max range is then limited to 22 yards by default. I do think it would be an interesting endeavour to hunt with a 410 and factory 7's. That would probably limit you to your desired max range.

Tail Feathers

Good luck with your plan when you're staring down the barrel at a strutter with a paintbrush beard 1/12" daggers 35 yards. :TooFunny:
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

worth612000

I feel more comfortable with 30 yards shots. I hunt in one of 3 hardwood hollows behind my house and being on the ground my line of site is very limited anyways.

tha bugman

Quote from: Tail Feathers on February 14, 2017, 12:59:13 PM
Good luck with your plan when you're staring down the barrel at a strutter with a paintbrush beard 1/12" daggers 35 yards. :TooFunny:
bugman be like... :begging: but I guess the same could happen at 40 and beyond  :OGani:

wvmntnhick

Quote from: dirt road ninja on February 14, 2017, 12:53:44 PM
More power to you. Will you be selecting a weapon with a max range of 30 yards? When I bow hunt turkeys, I take all my pins off, but the 20 yard. My max range is then limited to 22 yards by default. I do think it would be an interesting endeavour to hunt with a 410 and factory 7's. That would probably limit you to your desired max range.
I bet you'd find your max range to be much closer than that. Just saying.

Greg Massey

I'm hunting the bird that's hunt me and i will decide the range i'm going to kill him after he get's in front of my gun barrel.. 0-40....

owlhoot

Quote from: tha bugman on February 14, 2017, 08:19:35 AM
I'm a pattern junky like many here and  40 yards is my standard distance.  This year I have decided to make 30 yards my standard and limit shots to that max....I'm already preparing myself to have several birds walk by at 40..????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
An ole  muzzle loader double sure makes that interesting.
I used on for a while .
Nothing wrong with self imposed limitations.

SteelerFan

Quote from: Tail Feathers on February 14, 2017, 12:59:13 PM

That 35 yd bird will be a tough one to pass for sure! Hopefully they just keep closing the gap for you. Good luck!

Gobble!

Even if I was planning on limiting myself to 30 yards I would still shoot at 40 to see what kind of buffer I may or may not have. It's not hard to misjudge a bird.

BottomLand54

Bugman, I don't think that's a bad idea at all! I have never ever killed a bird past roughly 18 steps. However now that I just said that I want have one come closer then 36 steps. I want a great pattern at 12-27 yds I feel as if that is my hunting setup most of the time. I could have thrown lead at a monster bird last year at 60 but why take the chance and wound him, that is just my thought! Just like I hear bowhunter say man I shot through brush and nicked him..... Ding ding why are you shooting a bow through brush? To wash his own. I like to shoot my turkey setup at 10,15,20,25,30,35,40 see what it's doing. My best pattern might be at 27.3 yds who knows without trying!

mtns2hunt

Quote from: yella yelper on February 14, 2017, 11:31:18 AM
To each his own I guess. I've killed several in the 30-40 yard range.

Yep, I too probably would not be welcome in the 30 yard or less group. I prefer my shots to be in the 35 to 50 yard range since they introduced LB #4's: no I have not had any wounded birds.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

tha bugman

Quote from: Gobble! on February 14, 2017, 06:21:46 PM
Even if I was planning on limiting myself to 30 yards I would still shoot at 40 to see what kind of buffer I may or may not have. It's not hard to misjudge a bird.
I am planning on doing this for sure.