OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Do you shoot jakes on public land?

Started by deerbasshunter3, February 12, 2017, 11:54:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wvmntnhick

Quote from: Happy on February 14, 2017, 04:59:05 PM
Of the two I have taken I never factored in whether or not it was public or private and what the odds of them making it to next year. The first was also my first bird and he was looking at me from a distance of 13 steps and all I could see was his head. I knew it was a male by the head and it was all I needed. The second was after two tough years of no shots fired. I had hit a slump and on the last Two hours of the last day of season I called in two jakes. I saw them coming from behind me . I was sitting with my legs out flat and I decided to see if I could get the gun on them. I didn't start to move until the were even with me at about 10 steps. I managed to get my knees up and the gun up with the sight turned on when they were at about 30 yards and headed away (no decoy). One didn't make it and I was happy to have a turkey to eat. I had passed up plenty of jakes that year but I needed to get my MOJO back. That's why I never say never. I don't ever plan on doing it again but my thoughts are if it is a bird that's legal and fairly won then it's your choice. I have called plenty in for others that were tickled pink with them and I am ok with that.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk
I believe I've shot a couple of those jakes you've called in the past. 2 that I can recall and I'd shoot both of them again. Can only recall 5-6 total and haven't regretted any of them but the one with the shotgun was by far the most memorable. Whole thing just played out too weird.

Farmboy27

All depends. Usually no. But last year I would have been more than happy with a short beard by the end of the season. I have nothing but respect for anyone who sticks to his guns and won't kill one no matter how bad his season is going. Personally, I'm not that strong!  Lol.

Happy

That last jake was a humorous one hick.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Kylongspur88

I'll kill any legal bird public or private land.

WNCTracker

Shoot jakes until it's not satisfying for you anymore. I think it's just a personal preference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtns2hunt

Quote from: WNCTracker on February 14, 2017, 10:07:00 PM
Shoot jakes until it's not satisfying for you anymore. I think it's just a personal preference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WNCTracker pretty well sums it up. As a hunter matures and his/her game improves we naturally raise the bar. I think those who don't raise the bar lose interest and eventually fade out of the sport.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Cut N Run

My grandfather always taught me that shooting jakes was stealing longbeard gobblers from the future.  It doesn't matter what land I'm hunting, all jakes are safe around me.  I have nothing against anyone harvesting any turkey legally. 

Even though my grandfather is long gone, his words replay in my mind whenever I see a jake.  I'd be lying if I said I hadn't drawn down on jakes before, but they all get a pass from me, even if I end up eating a tag.  It's just how I was raised.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

bamahunter

98% of the time I don't... but there are always exceptions. Have before and probably will in the future, especially if my son, daughter or wife is behind the gun.

bghunter777

Personally it depends on the situation and many factors ranging from my mood to how the bird responds.

I have had jakes come in gobbling and strutting many times and that is almost always a recipe to come home with me. Typically I will let a jake go if I'm hunting an area with lots of birds and the Jake does little in the way of gobbling or responding to my calls.

campman

I don't shoot jakes. Just my preference... I think they should be passed up so they can grow up . Give them a chance to do what we all love for gobblers to do. The exception for me is if you have a youngster along for the hunt.

ilbucksndux

I dont care what you shoot. I have killed a few jakes,but these days I wont kill one on purpose . I like to save them for a kid , someone who has never killed a turkey,or for seed. With that being said..... Last year the last day of season I had seen 5 jakes and a Tom go into the woods. I cut around and got infront of them. I let what I thought were the 5 jakes go by and blasted the last one in line because I thought he was the Tom. I walked over to see a jake flopping.
Gary Bartlow

Tail Feathers

I have, and I may do it again some day.  It's not really my preference tho.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

catman529

Quote from: Happy on February 14, 2017, 12:40:11 PM
Quote from: M Sharpe on February 14, 2017, 12:33:22 PM
I'm just surprised the term "super jake" hasn't emerged yet!
I prefer runt 2 year old.

I call them Jakebeards in the fall when they are pretty much longbeards but still a little young.

quavers59

Some Springs- calling in a jake gang is perfect. I called up 2 lines of jakes in PA some years apart during years when gobbling was low. I took a jake from last in line the 1st time and took the lead jake some years later. Both times the jakes were in almost a straight line coming to my calling.