OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Do you shoot jakes on public land?

Started by deerbasshunter3, February 12, 2017, 11:54:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

willy8457

In the spring  no, not saying I never have. In the fall every time I get a chance.

WildTigerTrout

I  killed two or three jakes years ago when I  first started hunting spring gobblers.  I have not killed one in the spring in years and do not intend too.  I will however take one during the fall season if the opportunity presents itself.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

renegade19

I've never shot a bird with a jake fan.  My buddy has one on a wall display and I have to say it is pretty cool looking.  I've killed  several birds with full fans but stubby 4" beards.  I call those jakes but to some they may not be?  I'd be interested in hearing opinions.  Either way, IF it's legal, shoot it if you want.  Trust your DNR to regulate limits to boost the populations.  I'm doubtful that any of us will impact the turkey population by shooting or not shooting a jake. 

Flydown

I don't shoot jakes, just my preference. I do have a question though. Do public land jakes and fall jakes taste better than private land and spring jakes? A jake is a jake and shooting a jake just because " if I don't somebody else will " is not a real good reason to kill one. If its legal go for it! I was really just wondering if they tasted different?  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

M Sharpe

I'm just surprised the term "super jake" hasn't emerged yet!
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

Happy

Quote from: M Sharpe on February 14, 2017, 12:33:22 PM
I'm just surprised the term "super jake" hasn't emerged yet!
I prefer runt 2 year old.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Muzzy61

I don't, but have let a young hunter take one as his first bird on occasion.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

g8rvet

I killed one a couple years ago.  My first public land bird that I shot (I have called in several Toms for others) and my first 20 gauge kill.  It was the last day of the season I could hunt and I had not killed a bird. I had called a couple in, but not one for me.  He came in semi strut chasing two hens later in the morning and I took him.  No regrets.  Would probably pass today, but we were having a family get together that weekend and I wanted fried turkey on the menu.  It was a personal decision.  I have let them go for years, but took this bird.  I have no idea why and I certainly did not plan it, was a little shocked it was a jake, but I just said what the heck and took him.  As of this moment I have no plans to ever take another, but I may have a muzzleloader in my hands and decide to.  I don't know.  I had 2 jakes, in full strut at 5 steps earlier that year and just let them walk.  I let a bearded hen walk multiple times one year, but no promises in the future.  Probably won't, but it will be a game time decision. 

I must say I am impressed with the responses here.  Not a single moralized sermon and I would wager most other hunting sites would get lots of folks on their soapbox.  Good for everyone. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

RutnNStrutn

I don't generally shoot jakes. However, if I was on a WMA, and the hunt were almost over (especially if I went out of state), then yes, I would shoot a legal bird.

catman529

Quote from: HawkeyeGobbler on February 13, 2017, 12:46:34 PM
Way i see it is public land is every man for yourself. If you pass on it someone else will shoot it.
not necessarily...don't let that be the only reason for shooting one. If someone else shot every jake there wouldn't be any longbeards. Which there are, so some jakes always make it. If you pass it, it might just be a LB next year. But if you really want to shoot it, blast him in the head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

owlhoot

It would depend on the land and how much pressure is on it.Also how many gobbled on it .
Time of the season and how many times you have to hunt. Been around a lot of northern and southern Missouri  public ground and it was busy .
As far as betting on others there to not shoot a jake you passed, odds are way against that.
Of course on these lands if you don't park in a spot with someone else you better have some gas in the truck because you will be driving around alot and when you get back there may be others that came in behind you.

Happy

Of the two I have taken I never factored in whether or not it was public or private and what the odds of them making it to next year. The first was also my first bird and he was looking at me from a distance of 13 steps and all I could see was his head. I knew it was a male by the head and it was all I needed. The second was after two tough years of no shots fired. I had hit a slump and on the last Two hours of the last day of season I called in two jakes. I saw them coming from behind me . I was sitting with my legs out flat and I decided to see if I could get the gun on them. I didn't start to move until the were even with me at about 10 steps. I managed to get my knees up and the gun up with the sight turned on when they were at about 30 yards and headed away (no decoy). One didn't make it and I was happy to have a turkey to eat. I had passed up plenty of jakes that year but I needed to get my MOJO back. That's why I never say never. I don't ever plan on doing it again but my thoughts are if it is a bird that's legal and fairly won then it's your choice. I have called plenty in for others that were tickled pink with them and I am ok with that.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Fullfan

Nope, and nothing against those that do. Last jake I killed was back in the late 70's. I find long beards more of a challenge.
Don't gobble at me...

Jmbradt3873

My shooting of jakes depends a lot on the hunt. If given a choice of ending the season with a tag of shooting a jake, probably gonna shoot the jake. If I am just starting the season, the Jake will live to see another day.  ;)

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk