turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Do you shoot jakes on public land?

Started by deerbasshunter3, February 12, 2017, 11:54:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TauntoHawk

I don't, but when I take new hunters, kids, or folks with extremely limited time in the woods I let them decide for themselves telling them that in the moment to decide based on level of excitement and not size of the bird. Ive had Jake's come in strutting shoulder to shoulder triple gobbling the whole way as the spring sunshine creeps into the woods. I'm missing the point of sharing what hunting is about if I tell someone to hold off just because I would or want the birds bigger for next year.

I don't lack opportunities on longbeards and don't want to sell my season short. But I certainly don't want turkey hunting to turn into deer hunting where you aren't a hardcore hunter unless you name your deer and "grow" them for 5+ years. Just find a balance of what challenges and excites you and hunt them hard.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

PALongspur

Not always, but sometimes yes. Just depends on the situation.

Dr Juice

I have shot jakes which had full gobbles but normally I will let them walk.

Rzrbac

Killed a few in my early years. My first turkey was a jake. Like most have said, they will be much more fun to hunt in their 2nd year. I hunt public. Not shooting jakes are just my personal standard. It's public land so I have no place imposing my standard on anybody else but most hunters I know eventually adopt the standard of no jakes.

As far as jakes being the dumbest turkeys in the woods, maybe so, but satellite jakes have a way of sneaking in quietly and ruining a hunt. They have saved several gobblers from riding in my truck.

Swampchickin234

Different strokes for different folks. If your happy, light em up.   If you don't want to , don't shoot it. Same with deer.  If you can't be happy until is scores over 150, wait for the 151, and good luck. If you are happy with a 115" deer, smoke it. We all have different "trophies" in life. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spitten and drummen

No jakes for me ever. I have killed plenty of birds and have no desire to ever shoot one. The way i see it , if i want a turkey , i can go to the super market and buy one. You kill a jake , what do you have. No beard no spurs. However , if its legal and you choose to do it , i have no problem with that. To each his own.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

hobbes

Quote from: guesswho on February 12, 2017, 11:59:47 AM
I don't, but don't fault people who do.

I'm in this boat.  I've complained about and faulted too many folks through the years (on this and other forums) on how they choose to hunt within the bounds of the law.
That's not to say that I agree with everything nowadays and stand for nothing, but life has a way of occasionally reminding us that some things aren't that important.  If all I've got to do with my time is blow a gasket over how someone legally hunts, I need to make adjustments.

MK M GOBL

Quote from: TauntoHawk on February 12, 2017, 01:52:22 PM
I don't, but when I take new hunters, kids, or folks with extremely limited time in the woods I let them decide for themselves telling them that in the moment to decide based on level of excitement and not size of the bird. Ive had Jake's come in strutting shoulder to shoulder triple gobbling the whole way as the spring sunshine creeps into the woods. I'm missing the point of sharing what hunting is about if I tell someone to hold off just because I would or want the birds bigger for next year.

I don't lack opportunities on longbeards and don't want to sell my season short. But I certainly don't want turkey hunting to turn into deer hunting where you aren't a hardcore hunter unless you name your deer and "grow" them for 5+ years. Just find a balance of what challenges and excites you and hunt them hard.

X2

I don't lack opportunities on longbeards :)

MK M GOBL

THattaway

Like I alluded to earlier, most folks (like myself) pass on jakes for selfish reasons, to get long beard(s) later. Nothing noble about it. :)
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Marc

Two years of virtually no hatch here in California, with what appears to be a bumper hatch from last spring...  I am guessing there will be a few jakes running around (and I will be hunting private and public).

Personally, I will probably lay off the jakes till the last week or so of the season...  But I think a mature bird will be tough to come by this season.

And, if my young daughter (6 years old) joins me in field, I will be far more likely to shoot a jake.  She wants to run a video camera, and I will be likely to oblige her.

Still, I have not shot a jake in well over 10 years...  Two rough seasons in a row create a situation in which I am admittedly likely to be a bit less picky if I cannot locate any mature birds.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

jblackburn

Quote from: Gooserbat on February 12, 2017, 01:18:16 PM
In a word, No.

I don't shoot jakes.  I consider them gobbler seed, and I like the hunt to much to cut it short so I'll wait on a gobbler.

Hmmm. I seem to remember a jake from Kaw just a few years ago that got a free shoulder ride. . .
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

jblackburn

Quote from: jblackburn on February 12, 2017, 05:39:21 PM
In a word, No.

I don't shoot jakes.  I consider them gobbler seed, and I like the hunt to much to cut it short so I'll wait on a gobbler.

Hmmm. I seem to remember a jake from Kaw just a few years ago that got a free shoulder ride. . .

Or the Push jake from 2-3 years  . . .  :funnyturkey:
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

wvmntnhick

Quote from: jblackburn on February 12, 2017, 05:40:38 PM
Quote from: jblackburn on February 12, 2017, 05:39:21 PM
In a word, No.

Or the Push jake from 2-3 years  . . .  :funnyturkey:
Push comes to shove, many will shoot a jake at the end of the season. Not saying that everyone would/will but if it's in their blood, many will shoot. It's easy to say what we'll do until the time comes. If you've been hammered with a couple bad seasons in a row, it's sometimes hard not to pull the trigger on an available bird. Not casting stones and certainly not pretending to be righteous (because that's not me in any way, shape or form), just stating facts. We've all had those conversations about telling someone off when we've felt wronged but when the time comes, we often think better of it and move on without saying a word. Turkey hunting is no different. When the cards are all laid out and there's no moves left, some (again, not all) will faulter and put that bird in the bag. Personally, if this season shows no promise of being better than the last, I'll gladly fall on the sword and take a jake. And I'll be thankful all the way back to the truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SteelerFan

1 on 1 - me? Probably not.

BUT - I have adopted a new mantra for hunting -

Sometimes, the "trophy" is in the details...

I killed a jake 2 / 3 years ago as part of a 2 bird, 1 gun, double with my son. I'd do it again tomorrow. Now, that was on private ground. MY private ground. No regrets.

Shoot what makes you happy. Don't worry about what anyone else thinks. Just keep it legal and ethical.

THattaway

Quote from: Marc on February 12, 2017, 04:49:05 PM
Two years of virtually no hatch here in California, with what appears to be a bumper hatch from last spring...  I am guessing there will be a few jakes running around (and I will be hunting private and public).

Personally, I will probably lay off the jakes till the last week or so of the season...  But I think a mature bird will be tough to come by this season.

And, if my young daughter (6 years old) joins me in field, I will be far more likely to shoot a jake.  She wants to run a video camera, and I will be likely to oblige her.

Still, I have not shot a jake in well over 10 years...  Two rough seasons in a row create a situation in which I am admittedly likely to be a bit less picky if I cannot locate any mature birds.
More power to you friend. Wishing you a big tom this season or a big jake, either is fine and hope that girl makes a turkey hunting sidekick for you for life.
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles