turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Do you shoot jakes on public land?

Started by deerbasshunter3, February 12, 2017, 11:54:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deerbasshunter3

Assuming it is legal in your state, will you shoot a jake while hunting on public land? From what I seem to read, it is more of a challenge to kill a turkey on public land than it is on private land.

Will you shoot a jake if the opportunity presents itself, or hold out for a mature tom?

guesswho

I don't, but don't fault people who do.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Turkeyman11

I hunt entirely on public land and don't have any desire to shoot a jake.  However, for those who do they have every right and I have no problem with it. 

Greg Massey

If your a first time hunter or season one, the trophy is in the eyes of the beholder. I agree, i don't fault anyone or people for putting meat on the table.  I can remember 39 years ago i was just glad to kill a couple of young bucks for meat. Back then wife and i didn't have a lot of money and anything i killed or caught was a blessing..I guess that's why we still eat deer, turkey's and fish...

Happy

I won't ever say never but jakes aren't my thing. Think I have killed 2 jakes in my 15 years of turkey killing. If others are happy with a jake then that's their call. This year's jake is next year's Longbeard the way I see it.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

THattaway

Killed a pile of jakes in my younger days so who am I to say you should not shoot one? Wasn't any peer pressure for gobblers only back then, folks were happy enough to get a male turkey, stubby beard or long. Took me a few years but I figured out that if a jake has already made it past the first winter then he stands a good chance of making it past the next. I don't shoot jakes out of pure selfishness because I've found the majority I pass up, public or private, are there next year as two year old, full fanned, long bearded gobbling toms. So, if you complain about not hearing gobbling and shoot jakes then you are sort of shooting yourself in the foot. If you are a new hunter, a youngster or a senior then taking a jake can take on a whole different meaning and be something of tremendous and cherished value. Have seen both sides of that coin.
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

catman529

Not anymore, on purpose. I did accidentally shoot one last year after watching 2 big longbeards head to the woods, I went to cut them off and 2 red head birds popped over the ridge and I shot one, turned out the LB's were still up in the field with the hens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dirt road ninja

Killed one last year with my bow, mainly for the fan. I was hunting with my kid and he wanted to hold out for a long beard, but I wanted the fan to bad to let him go.

catman529

As for it being more challenge on public land, jakes are no harder to kill on public than private. They've never been hunted before unless during the fall busting hen/poult flocks.  Even if they have been shot at during the fall, they're still the dumbest turkeys in the woods. But if you have one looking at you 15 yards away and your heart is pounding and you know you'd be happy with it, blow his head off. I still remember the moment those 2 jakes followed a mad hen on a dead run to 6 yards where I blasted my first turkey ever. I'm not sure if I've killed one that close since then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LaLongbeard

I think its OK in the beginning of a career maybe 1st or 2nd  turkey,jakes are far easier to call in public land or private. I've called in jakes  to a few yards let them walk off and call them right back fun but not really a challenge.And like others said this seasons jake is next years gobbler. Although the first turkey I killed was a jake and I was as proud of it as I am of any of the longbeards since.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

GobbleNut

I have no problem with anyone who wants to shoot a jake, although I am long past doing that myself.  What I do have a problem with is people shooting either jakes or gobblers for no other reason than to count bodies.  Unfortunately, I think there are those that shoot jakes for no other reason but to say they "killed their limit".  In my opinion, that is just the wrong reason to pull the trigger.  If you have killed a turkey or two this season, let the jakes go for a year,...they will be more fun to hunt next year.

Gooserbat

In a word, No.

I don't shoot jakes.  I consider them gobbler seed, and I like the hunt to much to cut it short so I'll wait on a gobbler.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

grayfox

I've killed several on public land. I was dang glad I killed any gobbler at that time. I hunt public land 99% of the time & it's tough with so much hunting pressure. I'd much prefer to kill a mature bird but I don't condemn someone who shoots a jake.

Gobspur

It's about the hunt, not the kill for me.  I usually won't kill a jake because a like the challenge of an older smart bird.  That said, don't care so much about beards and spurs.  I'd still hunt turkeys if they didn't have them!  If a jake is deserving, I'll oblige...

wvmntnhick

Last year I gave the jakes a pass. Didn't kill a bird at all. This year, who knows. Just depends on the scenario. If I think the odds of killing a good bird are high, I'll wait. If it's an area where I've only got a day to hunt it and all I'm hearing are jakes, I'll not make a guarantee. I enjoy hunting these things as much as the next guy but I enjoy eating them more than a lot of guys. I'd rather have turkey than most other wild game meats so I'm not particularly concerned about its age if the mood strikes me properly. Bottom line, if I'm excited, I'm shooting.