Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Short vs. long barrel for turkey hunting.

Started by deerbasshunter3, February 09, 2017, 08:57:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deerbasshunter3

Which s best, and/or what do you prefer, and why?

SteelerFan

For turkey, I prefer a shorter barrel just for the maneuverability in the woods. Easier to carry, usually lighter (obviously), and less perceived movement when pointing at a bird. A turkey gun is an aimed fire, compared to a smooth swing shooting style used wingshooting ducks or doves.

That said - if I could only use one gun for all bird hunting, I'd go with a 26" barrel.

paboxcall

Quote from: SteelerFan on February 09, 2017, 09:07:02 PM
For turkey, I prefer a shorter barrel just for the maneuverability in the woods. Easier to carry, usually lighter (obviously), and less perceived movement when pointing at a bird.

Totally agree.  Shorter the better.  If I was parked in a blind hunting field turkeys all day I'd rather have the longer barrel but that isn't my style of hunting - running ridges requires fast set ups sometimes.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

dirt road ninja

20-24 is about perfect for turkey in my opinion.

1iagobblergetter

I like the shorter barrel turkey guns also for the same reason as the guys posted above. Even out of a blind the shorter barrel wins  out in my opinion.

deerbasshunter3

Is the shorter barrel able to "reach out" to the distances of the longer barrel?

dirt road ninja

Quote from: deerbasshunter3 on February 09, 2017, 10:14:25 PM
Is the shorter barrel able to "reach out" to the distances of the longer barrel?

There is no discernable difference in range between them. Pattern density and pellet penetration is what kills turkeys, barrel length has very little effect on velocity and very little effect on range in hunting situations.

Tom Foolery

Short barrels for me, 20"-21" on mine.

There is no reaching out velocity wise with turkey guns. 

100-200fps doesn't make any difference in rifles so it surely doesn't in shotguns.

Naylor649

Short. I'll stick with my 28" for the duck blind so I don't ring guys ears and 32"' for the trap range.

BottomLand54

It's personal preference I am 6'4" so a 28" barrel shot gun on my back is (normal) where a 28" barrel shotgun on a guy who is 5'11" might be huge...... I like 26" and 28" barrels. It's what I buy and what I shoot. Can you kill a bird just as dead with a 20" absolutely. It is personal preference I have long arms, I like a long shotgun, this might not make much sense to some but see I can carry a 28" gun around all day no problem plus my Benelli sbe2 didn't weight anything much at all. Pick a gun that feels good to you don't go looking for barrel length. If you are going to use this gun for skeet, dove, duck, etc. You may want the longer barrel as others have mentioned. It is all what feels good to you!

SumToy

not a lot of difference in them any more with the shells and chokes that are out.  It more what you like and feels best to you.
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

BandedSpur

My turkey guns are used for wingshooting as well, so 26" on repeaters and 28" on stackbarrels, so they balance and swing like they are supposed to. But even on a dedicated turkey gun, I would not go shorter than 26". Shorter barrels are definitely louder to the user than longer barrels. Velocity difference is not great between 26" and 21", but why not get all the "free" velocity you can. I carry a 28" stackbarrel through the nastiest cover imaginable up and down mountains all day grouse hunting in WNC, so I have to chuckle when guys talk about needing short barreled guns to get through the woods.

longislandloco

I never felt handicapped with a 26" or 28" gun, I never felt the NEED for a short barrel gun.
"A man ought to have a good shotgun, needn't be an expensive shotgun, just a good shotgun".....Old Moe

Izzyjoe

I also think 26" barrels are just right for an around shotgun, in my limited testing longer barrels pattern more even, but necessarily better patterns. Best thing to do is spend a lot of time at the patterning board. Shorter guns get around better in the woods, just like smaller critters do.

Naylor649

Quote from: BottomLand54 on February 10, 2017, 07:47:16 AM
It's personal preference I am 6'4" so a 28" barrel shot gun on my back is (normal) where a 28" barrel shotgun on a guy who is 5'11" might be huge...... I like 26" and 28" barrels. It's what I buy and what I shoot. Can you kill a bird just as dead with a 20" absolutely. It is personal preference I have long arms, I like a long shotgun, this might not make much sense to some but see I can carry a 28" gun around all day no problem plus my Benelli sbe2 didn't weight anything much at all. Pick a gun that feels good to you don't go looking for barrel length. If you are going to use this gun for skeet, dove, duck, etc. You may want the longer barrel as others have mentioned. It is all what feels good to you!

At 6'4" I totally understand how you'd like a long barrel with your wing span lol