OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Help me through this process...

Started by deerbasshunter3, February 08, 2017, 10:35:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deerbasshunter3

Ok, I am in the beginning stages of acquiring a dedicated turkey gun (saving money and actually deciding to do it). For starters, I already have an all black, synthetic stock Remington 870 Express Super Mag 26" (maybe 28") barrel, pump.

So, before I go any further, am I really in need of another gun for turkey, or should I just stick with what I have and soup it up?

Now, my first decision: pump or semi-auto? I would like a semi-auto, but feel like a pump would suffice, being that I don't see me needing a fast second shot, or even getting the opportunity if it presents itself.

Secondly, if the gun is only going to be used for turkey hunting, does the brand name really matter?

Next, I am assuming it does not matter, but new or used?

If I get a second gun, I would like for it to be camo. I don't know why... I feel like if I just get a new camo stock/forend for my Remington, it would suffice.

I feel like I am being crazy thinking that I need another gun, but figured I would toy with the idea. If there is anything that anybody would like to add, please feel free to do so.

Thank you in advance.

Waynesworld23

Hit a pawn shop or gun shops used rack many deals to be had
To give anything less then your best is to sacrifice the gift

Philippe

Save a ton of money and invest in a good choke like a Sumtoy .665 or Jellyhead and a box of longbeard shells and deep clean and polish that barrel. Nothing fancy is really needed in a gobbler getter. Honestly, the gun could be hot pink with purple dots on it and the turkey wouldn't notice it. If you want to take it a step further, maybe put a nice Mueller Red dot on it, or a nice bright fiber optic bead. Otherwise, save your money.

Greg Massey

If your crazy eat up with turkey hunting like most of us on this forum your going to want more than one turkey gun...Most of us on this forum have any were from 1 - 5 turkey guns...i have 5 , lol

deerbasshunter3

Quote from: Philippe on February 08, 2017, 11:23:48 PM
Save a ton of money and invest in a good choke like a Sumtoy .665 or Jellyhead and a box of longbeard shells and deep clean and polish that barrel. Nothing fancy is really needed in a gobbler getter. Honestly, the gun could be hot pink with purple dots on it and the turkey wouldn't notice it. If you want to take it a step further, maybe put a nice Mueller Red dot on it, or a nice bright fiber optic bead. Otherwise, save your money.

I have a Hevi Shot .662 choke paired with LB 3" #6. I have already killed two turkeys with it. Honestly, I think I just want to buy something...

Philippe

Quote from: deerbasshunter3 on February 09, 2017, 01:16:49 AM
Quote from: Philippe on February 08, 2017, 11:23:48 PM

I have a Hevi Shot .662 choke paired with LB 3" #6. I have already killed two turkeys with it. Honestly, I think I just want to buy something...

Makes sense. One of my personal recent favorites was the Weatherby SA-459 turkey gun with a Burris FFII and Sumtoy choke, it was absolutely a joy to carry on long hikes, the recoil was mild, and the patterns were wicked. 

1iagobblergetter

Hey sounds like your fitting in just fine then!!!! Lol... My motto is...Bills are paid ahead of time, wife and kids are well taken care of, money set aside for retirement,  if I want it and am paying cash for it I'm buying it...

Tom Foolery

You've already got a good 12 gauge buy a 20 gauge and work it over.  That's what I did and I got rid of one 12 gauge and the other hasn't left the house to go turkey hunting in years.

deerbasshunter3

Quote from: Tom Foolery on February 09, 2017, 08:10:15 AM
You've already got a good 12 gauge buy a 20 gauge and work it over.  That's what I did and I got rid of one 12 gauge and the other hasn't left the house to go turkey hunting in years.

Will a 20 gauge reach out and kill a turkey at 40 yards, or is the distance limited because it is a smaller gauge?

Waynesworld23

With federal heavy weights you can kill at 40 all day as long as the gun will put up the numbers I am currently setting up a single shot 20ga carrying a pump isn't as nice as carrying my single shot
To give anything less then your best is to sacrifice the gift

northms

I would send it off to get it camo dipped in whatever pattern you like. My preference would be getting the whole thing dipped in bottomland camo. It would really look good. Also add you a red dot scope if you want.

Doing both of the those would be half the price of a new gun and you'd have a unique, well rounded gun.

deerbasshunter3

Quote from: northms on February 09, 2017, 11:07:01 AM
I would send it off to get it camo dipped in whatever pattern you like. My preference would be getting the whole thing dipped in bottomland camo. It would really look good. Also add you a red dot scope if you want.

Doing both of the those would be half the price of a new gun and you'd have a unique, well rounded gun.

I am thinking of getting the Shurstock (mossy oak camo) and then getting the camo wrap for just the receiver. It would be all camo with a black barrel. It would certainly look different.

dirt road ninja

Will a 20 gauge reach out and kill a turkey at 40 yards, or is the distance limited because it is a smaller gauge?

Yes, they will kill at 40 with a little research and quality ammo. You will give up some range to a 12.

Tom Foolery

Quote from: deerbasshunter3 on February 09, 2017, 09:05:50 AM
Quote from: Tom Foolery on February 09, 2017, 08:10:15 AM

I shoot a 21" barreled 870 youth, Sumtoy 562-5 and Federal HW #7's and I'm good for a stretch past 40.  Lots of guys have better patterns than mine.  I could chase higher numbers but this one is even and is good to 50 so why chase?

42yds:

deerbasshunter3

You know, I could buy a turkey gun and say it is a graduation present for finishing my bachelor's in January... I found a Mossberg 500, with extra barrel (slug barrel) for $325. I believe it is new.

My wife should go for that, right...