turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How long?

Started by tha bugman, February 07, 2017, 08:57:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tha bugman

How long do you keep your camo before you buy a new set?

mgm1955

As long as it looks good and is still in one piece.

BowBendr

Til it literally falls apart. My favorite bib overalls are an old set of MO forest floor, no idea how old they are but they still look great. I haven't bought new camo in at least 10 years and i'm rough on clothing. I'm good with a needle and thread.

Rzrbac

Probably too long ;D. I want to get all I can out of it and I don't wear anything expensive for turkey hunting.  If it's really faded it turns into work clothes or  scouting/stand hanging clothes.  Pretty much gonna have to fall apart before I get rid of it.

Happy

As long as I don't give them away I keep them.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

larry9988

I still hunt with first head net I ever bought. Got in 1987 and its still going. Every turkey I have ever killed was wearing it. I see no reason to change, it's not pretty, but it still works.

Greg Massey

I get most of mine used off ebay and my wife has found some good stuff at Goodwill, if you don't shop Goodwill your miss out...i just wear it until it's wore out ...

MK M GOBL

Only need to replace is wear & tear, I'm pretty good with a needle and thread and have fixed up a lot of camo over the years.

One thing I have done is bought specific camo for each pursuit, and I don't cross over. Some has migrated to a different use after a while, in doing this it seems that those sets last for a long time.

MK M GOBL

buzzardroost

I buy a little every year. Match to the terrain and stage of season. Is it needed, no. But makes me feel good lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

catman529

as long as it holds together. Might occasionally pick up something new if it's on sale or whatever.

pabossie255

I'm always buying new scent blocking camo for archery but have a lot of my old good camo for turkey hunting and my wife works at Goodwill in one town and my mother is always shopping Goodwill in another town and will both pick me up new camo when they see good condition gear.

Dr Juice

Until the clothes fades. I hunt with my cousin and there would be times where we stand out from the operating environment and then the clothes are re-missioned for work clothes.

wvmntnhick

Quote from: larry9988 on February 07, 2017, 09:15:49 PM
I still hunt with first head net I ever bought. Got in 1987 and its still going. Every turkey I have ever killed was wearing it. I see no reason to change, it's not pretty, but it still works.
How'd the turkeys keep getting hold of your headnet?  :TooFunny:

I buy as needed. Some of my stuff is older but other stuff isn't. Made the mistake of buying clothes at satans bargain center last year and they were faded before the end of season. Needless to say, I won't do that again. Only really new stuff I've bought has been heavy weight camo for deer hunting because it was on sale. I don't use my deer hunting camo for turkey hunting for various reasons but I do plan to get a good set of rip stop clothing for turkey hunting soon and be done with it. Seems I gotta cross too many fences here with the way the farm lands are broken up and it's hard on pants and shirts depending on the scenario.

captpete

Quote from: wvmntnhick on February 08, 2017, 06:16:08 AM
How'd the turkeys keep getting hold of your headnet?   :TooFunny:

I buy as needed. Some of my stuff is older but other stuff isn't. Made the mistake of buying clothes at satans bargain center last year and they were faded before the end of season. Needless to say, I won't do that again. Only really new stuff I've bought has been heavy weight camo for deer hunting because it was on sale. I don't use my deer hunting camo for turkey hunting for various reasons but I do plan to get a good set of rip stop clothing for turkey hunting soon and be done with it. Seems I gotta cross too many fences here with the way the farm lands are broken up and it's hard on pants and shirts depending on the scenario.

I was kind of wondering the same thing. Turkeys are already hard enough to kill, I'm in trouble if they start wearing camo. :toothy12:

I buy new stuff about every 3-4 years for deer hunting. It's usually an after season clearance and more for colder temps....I rarely wear it turkey hunting. For turkeys, I replace it as needed as it fades. I tend to buy cheaper /less expensive camo for turkey hunting.

SteelerFan

Quote from: captpete on February 08, 2017, 06:45:31 AM
Quote from: wvmntnhick on February 08, 2017, 06:16:08 AM
How'd the turkeys keep getting hold of your headnet?   :TooFunny:

I was kind of wondering the same thing. Turkeys are already hard enough to kill, I'm in trouble if they start wearing camo. :toothy12:

Now THAT'S funny... Thanks for the typo larry9988! (it is a typo, right?)

I hope everyone has explained the importance of the Pittman-Robertson Act to their significant other. Yes, technically it applies to firearms and ammunition - but camo can be lumped in there.  ;D