OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Started by guesswho, February 06, 2017, 09:09:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guesswho

I'm not a big fan of talking numbers when it comes to turkey hunting.   It's usually a big turn off.  But in this case I'm making an exception.  The other day I was talking with my parents about some past hunts we have had.   My Mom pulls out an album and we're going through the pictures.   We were looking at some from our very first spring.  We had hunted the fall before also.    Back then you mailed your roll of film off and in a week or two you got your pictures back in the mail.  They always had the month and year they were developed printed on the bottom or back of the picture.  Looking at the year on those pictures it dawned on me that 2016 marked our 50th Spring.  So if we make it another 6 or 7 weeks we will be entering our 51st year of this spring madness we call turkey hunting.   I can remember some of those hunts better than I can some of last years.   Man, I would give almost anything to get to go back in time and relive those hunts.  Sleeping in a tent, smelling the smoke from the campfires, hearing the laughter from the few other camps along the river, hearing gators bullfrogs and airboats all night in the distance, eating the brownings my Mom would make for our trip every weekend to the local WMA, and having my Dad show me how to use that old PS Olt scratch call.   It was the funest of times even before we actually went hunting the next morning.  And then it got even better when the sun finally came up.  Man I can't believe it's been that long.    And I hope we get to do it at least one more time, I still enjoy those brownies.   

Good luck to all this spring.   Be safe and cherish the moments, even the little things.   
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

davisd9

That is awesome Mr. Ronnie! I know y'all will put it on them just as hard this spring as you did the last 50.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

MK M GOBL

Great Story!

I have a few years to go to catch up to you, Here in WI we never had turkey hunting while I was growing up... When I started, Dad had already got me out hunting and fishing I taught myself and introduced turkey hunting to my Dad :)

2017 I will be turning 50 and have in 28 seasons chasing longbeards. Lots of good memories and a lot more to come!

MK M GOBL

captpete

Sounds like great memories. I know what you mean about time going by. Just this last weekend I was listing some toys on Ebay that I have had since a I was kid. Kind of hard to believe I played with those toys between 40-50 years ago.

Greg Massey

Enjoyed your story, true we need to cherish the moments and memories of hunting with family and friends.

mgm1955

Great story. Thanks for sharing.

dirt road ninja

Best of luck to y'all!

1iagobblergetter

Congrats ...and how time flys....I think all the time of hunts past and present. The older I seem to get the more I enjoy some of the little things and take less for granted. I've learned over the years a successful hunt doesn't always mean filling a tag,but the good memories made with those around you and the ones who have past on that use to hunt with you or as your walking into your hunting spot leaving your work and troubles at the gate,listening to the song birds in the morning,the gobblers sounding off,and just enjoying God's creation...Life is short..enjoy it...

Rio Fan

Great post guess who. I always enjoy the stories and pictures of your mom's turkey hunts. My dad just turned 74 and he probably only has a few more spring seasons left in his tank. I definitely cherish the time we get to spend together in the turkey woods. I hope you have an amazing spring!

Double B

Good luck, I hope you have another wonderful spring in the turkey woods!
Followed by buzzards

BowBendr

Ronnies post is exactly what hunting was meant to be.

GobbleNut

Quote from: guesswho on February 06, 2017, 09:09:34 PM
I'm not a big fan of talking numbers when it comes to turkey hunting.   It's usually a big turn off.  But in this case I'm making an exception.  The other day I was talking with my parents about some past hunts we have had.   My Mom pulls out an album and we're going through the pictures.   We were looking at some from our very first spring.  We had hunted the fall before also.    Back then you mailed your roll of film off and in a week or two you got your pictures back in the mail.  They always had the month and year they were developed printed on the bottom or back of the picture.  Looking at the year on those pictures it dawned on me that 2016 marked our 50th Spring.  So if we make it another 6 or 7 weeks we will be entering our 51st year of this spring madness we call turkey hunting.   I can remember some of those hunts better than I can some of last years.   Man, I would give almost anything to get to go back in time and relive those hunts.  Sleeping in a tent, smelling the smoke from the campfires, hearing the laughter from the few other camps along the river, hearing gators bullfrogs and airboats all night in the distance, eating the brownings my Mom would make for our trip every weekend to the local WMA, and having my Dad show me how to use that old PS Olt scratch call.   It was the funest of times even before we actually went hunting the next morning.  And then it got even better when the sun finally came up.  Man I can't believe it's been that long.    And I hope we get to do it at least one more time, I still enjoy those brownies.   

Good luck to all this spring.   Be safe and cherish the moments, even the little things.

Amen Brother.

The Cohutta Strutter

Ronnie, I hope y'all share many many more seasons together. It don't get no better than that and thanks for sharing it.
Anybody seen America lately?

turkeyfoot

Hope this is your best yet good read

tha bugman

Great Post!  Important to really live in those moments because they keep us warm later in life.  Good luck this season and those to come!