turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Just got a new sbe2, now what?

Started by chaz_z71, February 05, 2017, 11:46:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chaz_z71

Hey guys just recently got a sbe2 turkey gun with 24" barrel. I would to hear from you guys on what to do next. Do I need to get some barrel work done. Such as polish etc. also I am leaning towards 3.5 long beards #6s since I have plenty of them. I would like a true 40 yard gun so I am looking for advice. Thank you

Frylock

Kicks GT .660 and #5 Longbeards is a solid 40yrd combination.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1iagobblergetter

I have 2 Sbe2s and I have always heard DONT polish or you'll RUIN your barrel. They are crio treated.

taylorjones20

:welcomeOG: and congrats on a fine shotgun.

Dot not polish the barrel as already mentioned.  But you can deep clean it and that will help. 

I have had great luck with an Indian Creek .665 and I think that would get you to 40 yards easy with long beard #5's.
Alive only by the Grace Of God

Rzrbac

I've had one for years. Shoot a GT .665 and stocked up on Federal Premium 3.5 #6 years ago after trying several different shells. It's easily a 40 yard gun.

Smooth_Operator

As already mentioned, no polish but a deep clean will be great for it, great gun  :z-guntootsmiley:

"The woods are lovely, dark and deep,  
But I have promises to keep,  
And miles to go before I sleep,  
And miles to go before I sleep."

Boykin Hollow

In my sbe 1 I am using long beard # 6 with a Jebs 665 choke.  It is a turkey killing machine !!!!

Tombo

Mine with an Indian ck 665 and 2oz TSS 8s is veeeery deadly at 40

chaz_z71

Thanks guys. So everything I read so far. 3.5 shells shoot better than 3 inch shells. I kno it depends just what I ve read thus far?

Rzrbac

I'm seriously contemplating going to 3". I can't imagine it not getting a good pattern out to 40 with 3". I don't shoot past 40 anyway.

1iagobblergetter

Quote from: chaz_z71 on February 06, 2017, 06:23:57 PM
Thanks guys. So everything I read so far. 3.5 shells shoot better than 3 inch shells. I kno it depends just what I ve read thus far?
Not in every gun..You'll have to pattern and see. I mainly shoot 3in just because it's deadly enough for me without the recoil and anymore I just grab my Encore.

Frylock

Quote from: chaz_z71 on February 06, 2017, 06:23:57 PM

I only shoot 3", they pattern great, in fact they'd be solid killers at distances past what I'm comfortable shooting.  Plus the 3" shells won't dislocate my head from my shoulder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mgm1955

Good luck finding the right choke/load combo. Congrats on a fine gun.

jed clampett

I used to shoot a sumtoy .650 and 3.5 in heavy 7,s....great patterns at 40

allaboutshooting

Quote from: chaz_z71 on February 05, 2017, 11:46:25 PM
Hey guys just recently got a sbe2 turkey gun with 24" barrel. I would to hear from you guys on what to do next. Do I need to get some barrel work done. Such as polish etc. also I am leaning towards 3.5 long beards #6s since I have plenty of them. I would like a true 40 yard gun so I am looking for advice. Thank you
You have a great gun. I would "deep clean" the bore http://allaboutshooting.com/blogs/blog/98772615-deep-cleaning-a-shotgun-barrel That's really all your chrome-lined barrel should ever need.

I much prefer the 3" shells but if you have a lot of the 3.5" shells already, I'd give them a try. For many guns the 3" shells will pattern better and with much less recoil.

I believe that gun comes with a turkey choke and I'd recommend that you give that one a try before investing in any other choke. If it does not do what you're looking for, there are a variety of chokes that will do very well in that gun.

Again, great gun and the best of luck to you with it.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."