OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Stringent gun cleaners?

Started by Marc, February 05, 2017, 01:51:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc

In the past when my guns have either gotten very dirty or very wet I have used Gun Scrubber  gun cleaner.

As this removes moisture and Greece obviously it is not a lubricant but simply a gun cleaner.

Recently I have come to understand that both chlorine free brake cleaner and carburetor cleaner work in a similar fashion, and both are far less expensive than the commercial  Gun Scrubber.

I was wondering if anyone on these forums might know the potential differences in the ability of these products to clean the gun, potential damage caused to the gun, or residue left behind by any of these products?
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

wvmntnhick

They'll clean as good as the other. No residue as they tend to evaporate quickly. Won't damage the metal but can effect coatings on wood. Not certain about what they'll do to a dip job but won't effect Cerakote at all. Be sure to give it a fine coat of oil when you're done.

SinGin

I use brake cleaner on my AK -47 with no problems at all but keep it off the wood finish of a gun.

Frylock

Ripped the camo dip right off part of my SBE, definitely got the barrel clean thought. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WisTurk

I use it from time to time to clean my pistols.  Just remember that it will strip everything, and I do mean everything from your gun.  And I always do it outside too...those fumes are something else.

Marc

Thanks guys...

I am looking at a comparison of products and what they do or do not do as far as cleaning and damage.

I have used commercial Gun Scrubber when the gun is either fouled or wet to completely clean.  Price is the issue here, as it does clean well and does seem to be plastic safe (although will ruin a dipped gun if used to often and allowed to sit).

Carburetor cleaner removes dirt, oil, and water well, but also damages plastic in my experience...  Far more cost effective than Gun Scrub until you ruin part of your gun.  (I do know of guys that use this as a means to deep clean metal parts of a gun though).

I have heard that chlorine free break cleaner is a good cleaner and also safe on plastics if used with common sense...  Have no idea how it cleans or what the dangers are of using this though...

I was hoping for a gun guru to comment on all three, or possibly even give a good/viable alternative.

I posted on another forum, and someone pointed out that anything with an aerosol will leave a residue behind.  I do know that Gun Scrub does leave some residue....
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Swampchickin234

I use chlorine free break cleaner to spray out inside of receiver, trigger assembly, and bolt assembly on shotguns.  It works very well for me.  I then use hoppes bore solvent and acetone to clean my barrels   I too have seen a residue, bit what I have found is by applying heat from a hair dryer to the pieces I have cleaned, and then properly lubricating, the residue goes away.  I have done this many many times.   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BowBendr

Huge difference between carb cleaner and brake cleaner. I use the chlorine-free brake cleaner on all my guns with no problems....carb cleaner on the other hand, not so good. It will strip the finishes from your firearms.

allaboutshooting

Over the years, I've tried many traditional and non-traditional solvent products to clean my guns. I normally shoot pretty much all year, pistols, revolvers, rifles and shotguns, so I end up doing a lot of cleaning.

I've settled on a few "standards" for cleaning my guns. I use the best bore brushes I can find, good cleaning rods and the best cotton patches. I buy the largest bottles of Hoppe's #9, usually quarts (very inexpensive) and Prolix CLP and X-Tra-T Lube (moderately expensive). I use new toothbrushes, brass brushes and some compressed air from an office supply store. I also use some good cotton rags and lots of paper towels and newspapers for the mess I usually make.

I try to be environmentally conscious and not expose myself or others to harmful chemicals. I'm also aware that anything that will remove the "gunk" that gets into guns may in fact be harmful to plastic and other finishes. I clean my hands after using solvents before handling other parts of my guns. (Please don't ask how I learned this lesson.)

I look at cleaning my guns as just another part of the shooting experience. It helps me to learn more about each gun and its unique "personality". Some of my guns like to be a little dirty but I'd never know that if I had not thoroughly cleaned them first and then shot them until they were dirty.

Just my insights. Maybe they'll help some.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."