OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Sitting Still

Started by Furtaker, February 04, 2017, 09:54:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Furtaker

So, sitting completely still...some of the skiddish eastern birds demand you remain motionless for hours...how does everyone combat the numb legs/numb butts? Does one of those low chairs make it better? Good pad? Zen like pain management skills? I haven't mastered it yet and still find myself rootching every so often and I worry that I may be spooking a bird I cant/don't see.

dirt road ninja

I don't sit still for hours. The chair helps.

turkeyfoot

Yeah there is no way I'm sitting perfectly still for hours if I'm working a bird sure but when hearing nothing that is pretty tough to do I usually am set up when blind calling in area where I can hear them walking in leaves before they can spot me. A chair like gobbler lounger makes sitting easier. Turkey hunting can turn to misery if you try to sit nd never move when not hearing any thing

Gamblinman

get a chair, set back, and take a nap.

Been many a time I've ended up killing a bird within eyesight of my first position several hours later. Those toms hear you early and don't forget.
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

1iagobblergetter

You'll be amazed what a decent chair will do for you. I went through numerous ones before I found the Gobbler Lounger. Liked it so much I went and bought a spare in case they ever discontinued them like sometimes happens to really good products. I also like the H.S.Strut 12ftĂ—27in. ground blind. It allows you to move a little or stretch your legs out and also move your hands while calling. I've called turkeys right up to the blind on numerous occasions.

MK M GOBL

Made my own chair before they had a gobbler lounger out, been using that same chair since I made it and made another for my dad. I added a thin dense foam pad for my seat and make a world of difference. Can say I only sit motionless in those last moments before I squeeze the trigger, just need to learn when you can make you moves.

MK M GOBL

Greg Massey

Having a chair is nice. But what will help you more than anything is building a good blind ahead of time. A good blind makes all the difference in being able to move around. With a good blind you can move around a little and get away with not sitting so still...If it comes to having one of the other i would take a good build blind any day. I'm not taking about one of those pop up blinds, i mean a brush blind...

renegade19

I don't sit for hours and hours.  When I do sit, I use a Hunt Comfort "Fatboy" cushion.  It's a great product.

Marc

I doubt many of us sit still for more than 30  minutes...

I might work a bird for a far longer, but usually that bird is some distance off and I have some idea by the sound of his gobbling where he is.  And, I am generally shooting in the woods, leaning against a tree.  If I can spot a bird, or he can spot me, often the bird is in range.

That ain't to say I have not spooked some birds I did not know were there by moving, but not many of us have the ability or desire to sit motionless for hours.

I tend to be mobile when hunting, and I do not like lugging a chair around.  If I am going to sit in a spot for a long time, I look for a spot with a rock or fallen log in front of it to lay my gun on (as opposed to my knee).  This also creates a barrier which allows me to use a friction call, or scratch my butt if the need arises.

Comfortable padded seat, with the gun lying on a rock/log, and leaning against a tree, I can sit in one place comfortably for some time.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Furtaker

Well, maybe they don't "demand" you sit motionless for hours but I sometimes feel that way when they aren't talking and my mind is saying..."well...they could be sneaking in silently - don't move a muscle!" 

Greg Massey

Quote from: Furtaker on February 04, 2017, 11:49:50 PM
Well, maybe they don't "demand" you sit motionless for hours but I sometimes feel that way when they aren't talking and my mind is saying..."well...they could be sneaking in silently - don't move a muscle!"
Agree with turkeys anything can happen...i've had the come in silent several times...remember good blind...lol

catman529

I don't sit still for hours, I save my still sitting for when I know a bird is close, or when I fall alseep

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ilbucksndux

The pad on my vest has gotten my by for years,mainly just to keep my butt dry. last year I hunted with a guy that had a cheap Walmart chair he let me use and Ill say it was nice. Nice enough that I went and bought one myself. I dont really know how good its gonna work for my style of hunting but Im gonna give it a try
Gary Bartlow

SteelerFan

Working a stubborn bird, or just waiting patiently for some late morning action, sometimes does require extended "sits". Without a doubt, the chair is a miracle. I can honestly say the chair has lengthened my comfort time from 1 hr to 4+.

Double B

I got a chair but too much to carry and not handy on public most of the time.   Get a small but thick inner tube (about 12" dia)  in a camo fabric cover or make one for your vest.  When you sit on that dude it gives your butt a break.  Can sit still for long time.   Set up to blend in a dead fall, rocks or otherwise breakup the silhouette, not just against a big tree.   
Followed by buzzards