Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Will this help my turkey numbers this spring?

Started by northms, February 03, 2017, 10:57:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

northms

I hunt on family land that's been a working cattle farm for better of 40 years. The farmer has always kept the pastures (land is mostly pastures with hardwood ridges) bush hogged pretty well and the fields low. Well over the last four years he got on up there in age (over 80) and he slacked on his bush hogging duties. Finally he gave up the lease last year.

The pastures last year in many places that we usually have great hunts were waist high or higher with broom sage and grown up grass. Couldn't hardly see a turkey in there if one was walking through it. The numbers were down around the farm considerably last year. Is is possible that the fields being so high contributed to the lack of turkeys?

I've paid someone to mow a good portion of the farm last fall before deer season and that part is still nice and low. In a couple of weeks I've got the guy coming back to mow in my normal turkey hot spots also.

My question is, do you think the really high pastures contributed to low bird numbers and with over 6-7 weeks until the season starts do you think the bird numbers will be back higher with the low pastures?

Historically, there's been a good number of birds.

cuttinAR

Yes, it will help provide strut zones and areas for them to feed.  However, for future springs best to leave some areas for nesting and brood habitat.  The more of a mix of habitat you can provide the better.

northms

Thanks, cuttin. They'll still be plenty of thick stuff on the property. I'm going to leave many of the saddles between ridges with thick stuff for the fact I don't have the time or money to clear it all.

Additionally, the property north of me was cut over about 5-7 years ago and it's quite thick. I've seen them work out of there during the day and into our pastures when they're cut.

Greg Massey

Part of the problem with less birds is not the High grass, a working cattle farm has what , lot's of cow crap, which draws worms up from the ground and turkeys love scratching these piles looking for worms, left over grain and grass seed..Yes keeping the field bush hog will help.. but you main problem is a lot less feed for the turkeys. Had the same happen to my farm after we stop having cow's on the place.

Tail Feathers

Both replies are spot on.  Of the things mentioned, leaving some unmowed areas for nesting areas is a good management tool you can do easily.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

MK M GOBL

Quote from: Greg Massey on February 03, 2017, 11:47:28 AM
Part of the problem with less birds is not the High grass, a working cattle has what , lot's of cow crap, which draws worms up from the grow and turkeys love scratching these piles looking for worms left over grain and grass seed..Yes keeping the field bush hog will help.. but you main problem is a lot less feed for the turkeys. Had the same happen to my farm after we stop having cow's on the place.

X2!!

Right on the ball, I hunt farmland and these farms hold more birds due to the abundance of food throughout the whole year. They have everything they need to survive, always open water the creeks around here in Bluff Country, we have a great mix of woods and fields and consistent food source. Right now through winter, the hard times (it seems over the last few years are bird numbers are up) had from my best count 91 birds in the cattle's feed lot. Besides the birds hit the ag bags and the "hot lunch" dinner program the cows supply.

MK M GOBL

Bowguy

Where I hunt as soon as the fields get high the birds become scarcer especially anywhere near the fields.
Be careful not to destroy nests cutting.

Bowguy

Quote from: Greg Massey on February 03, 2017, 11:47:28 AM
Part of the problem with less birds is not the High grass, a working cattle farm has what , lot's of cow crap, which draws worms up from the ground and turkeys love scratching these piles looking for worms, left over grain and grass seed..Yes keeping the field bush hog will help.. but you main problem is a lot less feed for the turkeys. Had the same happen to my farm after we stop having cow's on the place.
This is very true too!

silvestris

I would mow now so the vegetation can grow some.  The benefits will start showing later in the season as the hens begin seeking nesting sites.  You want the vegetation to get high enough to produce insects for turkey attraction and poult survival, but not so high that the turkey can't see.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

northms

Thanks for all of the replies. I didn't ever think about the cows being gone and provided a "food source" for lack of a better term. I sure did hate those dang cows but you have a point.

I'll be cutting next week, which will leave about six weeks until the season. Hope it pays off.

ilbucksndux

Contact your closest University that has a forestry program and see if they will come and burn some of it for you. Burning is great for wildlife especially turkeys. The university can come and give it a look over and tell you how much and when to burn for the best results...........and they will do it for free.
Gary Bartlow

northms

I'd love to burn one of the pasture bottoms next year if possible.

Gamblinman

Quote from: northms on February 04, 2017, 11:17:27 AM
I'd love to burn one of the pasture bottoms next year if possible.

burn it right before season...turkeys love fresh burns.
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

deerhunt1988

I'd look into disking some of the pasture too. This will release beneficial vegetation that is currently being 'crowded out' by the 'pasture grass'. Will give the turkeys more food and good brood rearing habitat.

TauntoHawk

cutting will help, burn or disking could be even better, a few food plots would also draw but takes even more work and money.. I think you should see better turkey usage with the cutting alone than last year but they guys are right the lack of cattle might detract from the glory days
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>