OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

preferred method to cross a slough

Started by Full strut, February 01, 2017, 12:18:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Full strut

living in Arkansas, we often have to cross sloughs and small pockets of water to get to the hard to get to areas that gobblers hold up in. does anyone else have this issue, and if so, how do you tackle it? hip boots? just looking for a different outlook instead of being soaked from the knees down every time i hunt this swamp of a state.

Bowguy

I'm not from down there but wear waders, carry your hunt boots n after you cross change. Maybe if it's isolated enough, get one of them big blue buckets n leave boots stashed inside on other side

2eagles

It's more need than preference. I love it when I need to wear my hip boots because high water keeps most other hunters out of the woods I hunt. My son hunts an area a deep ditch requires chest waders to cross a deep spot when the river runs high. We do what we need to do.

Candyman

I carry black garbage bags in case I need to cross standing water or a creek that is higher than my boots.

sasquatch1

take off boots and socks, then cross and put back on. if real high take off pants too! maybe even keep small towel in vest!

M Sharpe

I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

FullChoke

I had a pair of coated nylon, uninsulated stockingfoot chest waders years ago that I could fold up into a very small package that might be an option. You could include a pair of Dollar Store flip flops to protect your feet as you waded the sloughs. Pull your boots off and carry them to the other bank.

FC

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Big perm2

I have a buddy that hunts in the Mississippi delta he told me he has an old pair of lacrosse grange and cut holes around the bottom to let the water drain out after they fill up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ddturkeyhunter

In MN you can buy a light weight stocking foot wader from Mill Fleet Farm for 10-15 bucks I got a pair about 4 year ago now for when I needed to cross waist deep cricks in Florida. I pulled them on right over my size nine boots, look funny as heck, get to other side take off roll up put in game bag in back of vest. Sure beats walking around with wet underwear all day.

Greg Massey

Just how far is it across this sloughs , i know we fixed a creek crossing with plastic 55 gallon barrels and sawmill boards mounted and a hand rail on one side and tied it off with small wire cables ...it made a fine creek crossing ... but if your talking about just a lot of water, hip boots i guess ...snake city i bet...lol

Full strut

Public land so I don't want to aid others in crossing, and snake city is a dang understatement!

blake_08

A pair of light "breathable" chest waders would be my best guess. They're usually uninsulated and they would be cool on warm spring days. I don't know how deep these sloughs are, but that'd have you covered up to the chest. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Rzrbac

I just wear merino wool socks and light ankle boots that will dry out some. I hunt areas with a lot of creeks and sloughs. If we get much rain, I can easily find myself shut out. If it's only waist deep, I'm going to wade. Most other hunters won't and that gives me some areas all to myself. We can only hunt till 1 in MO so it doesn't bother me to get wet at daylight as I'll be back to the house in the afternoon or sooner if I'm packing out a longbeard. 

tha bugman

in a straight line...If I am going to be in an area where the potential is that I may have to cross one I am going to wear my hip boots hunting so I am not wasting time testing water depth