Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Georgia Bird #1 hit the dirt!!!!------(Now with Pic and Story)

Started by gatrapper, April 07, 2011, 09:41:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gatrapper

Pix and Story to come soon!  Quick hunt, under 30 minutes from the time I left home to the time I got back :z-guntootsmiley: :z-guntootsmiley: :z-guntootsmiley: :z-guntootsmiley: :z-guntootsmiley: :z-guntootsmiley: :z-guntootsmiley: :z-guntootsmiley: :z-guntootsmiley: :z-guntootsmiley: :z-guntootsmiley: :z-guntootsmiley: :z-guntootsmiley:

Story:

Birds have just been acting strange as heck on my property and I have been dealing with a group of 11 jakes that are just running the property.  This morning I hit my honey hole and again there is no gobbling on the roost.  I sit out there til 8 am and then drive home to eat some breakfast ( I live 1 mile away).  I usually do that and go back out about 9 am.  Well I drive back and get to my property about 9:10.  As Im driving in I see a group of birds in the pines.  I drive down the road and park my truck.  Load the gun up, throw the vest on, and grab my jake mobile.  I run up about 100 yards, set the jake up, and sit 10 yards from the deke.  I sit down and hit the call, BAM, bird gobbles.  I shut up for about a minute and call, BAM BAM BAM, a few hammer off.  I sit there now knowing its the gang of jakes.  I told myself a few days ago that the next jake that comes in is getting a XR headache.  A minute later I catch movement and I have 8 jakes in the woods 15 yards to my right.  They see the deke and start spitting and strutting.  Not long after they get nervous.  Im not in the best position, but I throw my gun up and put the bead on a bird and shoot.  After I shoot the birds fly all over and I sit there thinking "OMG I missed."  A second later I see my bird flapping on the edge of this thick piney black berry scrub on the edge of the woods where they were standing.  

Round trip from when I left home to when I got home was somewhere between 25-30 minutes.

"Champions don't make excuses, they make plays." - Richard Seymour.

Hognutz

Now that's what I'm talkin' about. Good things come to those who wait. Good job. Trap..Mike :you_rock:
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

sugarray

Basser69

trkycaller

870supermagnum

M,Yingling

Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

Muskie03

Muskie03 Taught Me A Lesson In 2011

If it eats I can catch it, if it bleeds I can kill it.

Crutch

Quote from: Muskie03 on April 07, 2011, 12:10:39 PM
Congrats GA. That will teach the suckers. :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

Thats what I was thinking, that will teach them, and just maybe, they will be wiser and smarter and grow old with long hooks.
Let everything that hath breath praise the Lord
:gobble: :gobble:

stinkpickle

gatrapper

LOL, I hope I did set an example hahaha.  When I shot birds flew all over.  2 of them landed about 80 yards from the set up and started strutting again.  Im hoping that knocking one of their homies out sent them a message. 
"Champions don't make excuses, they make plays." - Richard Seymour.

TheTwistedOne

That single jake decoy is very effective when they are in gangs like that.

You did good!

Ol'Mossy

Wrangler95

Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!