turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Original Super Black Eagle imported by H&K

Started by Bagg-it Tag-it, January 31, 2017, 10:56:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bagg-it Tag-it

I use a different gun for turkey....but this has been my go to gun for ducks since I got it in '96. It was when H&K still imported Benelli's to America so it is stamped with that. I am not up on guns because for years it was something I didn't have to think about. Well it needs a repair now and I am either going to have it repaired or might just trade it. I know years ago there were some value and cool factor to having the H&K Benelli. I can't really find any good info online at this point. Is this gun one to keep in the safe (meaning it has some value) or have tastes and technology moved on at this point?

1iagobblergetter

I might be wrong,but if you go to trade a broken anything I doubt your going to come out very good. Then if you go to fix it and you liked the gun you might as well keep it. I have an H/K I bought in 93 a great gun which I still own. Dropped my wife and mother-in-law off to look at wedding dresses and came back to pick them up with my brand new H/K 3 1/2 12g. Lol...I've bought and have a couple of Benelli Sbe2s also and I don't think they shoot any better in all honesty. The big plus I've liked in all of them is reliability and easy to clean. If you don't need a trade in to fund your new gun I'd hang on to it,but I'm a hoarder of guns,turkey calls, turkey hunting books,you get the point. Lol...Goodluck..

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Bagg-it Tag-it on January 31, 2017, 10:56:33 AM
I use a different gun for turkey....but this has been my go to gun for ducks since I got it in '96. It was when H&K still imported Benelli's to America so it is stamped with that. I am not up on guns because for years it was something I didn't have to think about. Well it needs a repair now and I am either going to have it repaired or might just trade it. I know years ago there were some value and cool factor to having the H&K Benelli. I can't really find any good info online at this point. Is this gun one to keep in the safe (meaning it has some value) or have tastes and technology moved on at this point?
I also have one of those early guns. Mine is a 1991 model and has never failed me. It's about as simple as a self-loader can be and there's nothing about them that can't be repaired. I've not really looked to see the value of those guns today but I'd never trade mine. If you need a part or want to know the real value, you can call John Mann at Mann & Son Sporting Goods at 618.357.2911. He was one of the first Benelli dealers and is the largest source of parts for those guns.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Bagg-it Tag-it

Full strut

I've always wanted an original h&k sbe in black synthetic or walnut stocks.

MK M GOBL

I have one of those "Original Super Black Eagle imported by H&K's" too. Mine is a Walnut/Matte Blued and has been a heck of a gun, serves as my main for a goose gun, deer slug (have a separate scoped slug bbl & forearm) and a backup or loner Turkey Gun.

Wouldn't get rid of her for nothing :)

MK M GOBL

Boykin Hollow

Bought my first one in the 80's at Grady's in Anderson SC.  Traded in two guns and still had to pay $$$ to boot.  Back then they were close to $1,000.00.  It has always been my go to gun for turkeys, ducks and geese.  Absolutely worth getting repaired.  For some reason I now own 4 of them,  just don't tell the wife.

Frylock

I had one of those Hk SBE's I bought new in the 90's and don't really miss it (shot 12" low at 40yrds).   There are quite a few waterfowlers always looking for one though, I doubt you'd have too hard a time selling it, but will likely take a big hit if it's not functioning correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

silvestris

I think mine is an HK import.  My son killed one last year with it.  Just be careful if you try to close the bolt quietly.  I ran one off when I pulled the trigger and rather than going bang, the gun made a small noise and I had to call him back up.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Cut N Run

I had a '91 HK SBE that I bought from my best friend under the condition that if I ever decided to sell, he had the right of first refusal. It shot great.  In the 5 years I owned that gun I never missed a turkey with it.  It never jammed either.  I won a drawing for a NWTF SBE II at the Dixie Deer Classic sponsored by the Franklin County Longbeards chapter and sold the HK SBE back to my best friend.  He sold it to another friend, who broke the consecutive kills streak by missing the first two gobblers he shot at with it, but has been on a roll with it the past several years.  I wish I still had it though.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

silvestris

Quote from: Treerooster on February 01, 2017, 09:39:33 PM
Quote from: silvestris on February 01, 2017, 08:44:43 PM
I think mine is an HK import.  My son killed one last year with it.  Just be careful if you try to close the bolt quietly.  I ran one off when I pulled the trigger and rather than going bang, the gun made a small noise and I had to call him back up.

You can close the bolt quietly, but then you have to seat it. There is a little black bump on the end of the bolt. Just push that about 1/4" and it will seat the bolt properly. It will fire then. Usually it seats on its own when the bolts slams back with a little speed.

I found that out after he left.  Thankfully I didn't panic when he folded his wings and left.  He had a faint smell of rat.  However he gobbled again about ten minutes later and came right back, but not with the reckless abandon with which he first came.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Full strut

This thread reignited my interest in one day having an H&K SBE. After a few days and a mere $900 I got a mint blued and walnut H&K. This forum is terrible for my wallet...

Bagg-it Tag-it

Mike Honcho

Great gun in any sense of the word.  I have an SBE made just after they stopped marking them H & K.

I have heard that some waterfowl hunters (perhaps unscrupulous ones) prize the H and K models as they supposedly will hold a fourth shell even with a three shot plug installed (mine is not  H and K so I have never tried to verify).  I assume it is sitting on the lifter????

Three shells and abiding by all hunting laws is my mode of operation for waterfowl and all game.

That has always intrigued me if it was true or not though...maybe a Benelli Urban Myth!

Anyone know anything about this???

Honcho

1iagobblergetter

If I remember mine would shoot 4 with the plug. I shortened the factory plug so I never had any unwanted issues. Lol..