OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Need New Crow Call

Started by 870BkWht, January 31, 2017, 07:57:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lonehowl

Resin stabilzed wood has the advantage of both wood and acrylic, but its different than a straight cast acrylic call (like a waterfowl call) or a straight wood call. I personally love a stabilized call. Very heavy and tough, and sound really carries from it. Plus, you can get all kinds of awsome colors. Some guys stabilize in their shops, but having your wood professionally stabilized is much better imo.

That bottom pic of Daryls calls looks like all stabilized calls. You can take wood that is nice looking (like burls) but otherwise to punky or weak to use for a call, have it stabilized with resin, and it becomes a usable piece. Strong, waterproof etc.

Also, yes, they polish up slick and shiny, but if you can also do that to most any wood call as well if you want.
Mark

NCbowjunkie

Hi  I'm the other Bow Guy ,I'm also another Daryal, me and Gibson just spell our name diff. I'm the guy that stabilize woods for Gibson. The process takes place before any work is done to the call blank, some times we will round the call blank but I can still stabilize a square blank . I can stabilize a couple dozen blanks at a time , most the woods that I do are spalted woods or burls  the dense grain woods don't really need to be stabilized , the wood is placed in a vacuum chamber and as the air is being pulled from the pores and voids in the wood the resin is entering these areas . Once the blank is saturated with resin then it is baked at 200 degrees to set the resin to acrylic , the blank can be turned to shape. Thesuccess I've had is that I use a big vacuum pump, 7cfm pump. After over 25 years in the industrial refrigeratin service field I have a lot experience with pressures and vacuum . With this process you can takes a spalted wood and turn into a beautiful work of art and sounds great

davisd9

Quote from: Bow Guy on February 03, 2017, 07:48:52 AM
Hi  I'm the other Bow Guy ,I'm also another Daryal, me and Gibson just spell our name diff. I'm the guy that stabilize woods for Gibson. The process takes place before any work is done to the call blank, some times we will round the call blank but I can still stabilize a square blank . I can stabilize a couple dozen blanks at a time , most the woods that I do are spalted woods or burls  the dense grain woods don't really need to be stabilized , the wood is placed in a vacuum chamber and as the air is being pulled from the pores and voids in the wood the resin is entering these areas . Once the blank is saturated with resin then it is baked at 200 degrees to set the resin to acrylic , the blank can be turned to shape. Thesuccess I've had is that I use a big vacuum pump, 7cfm pump. After over 25 years in the industrial refrigeratin service field I have a lot experience with pressures and vacuum . With this process you can takes a spalted wood and turn into a beautiful work of art and sounds great

One of Bow Guy's crow calls from Unicoi:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Rzrbac

That's a pretty interesting process. I like to learn new things especially when it comes to calls, thanks.

M Sharpe

Man...what a question! Now a days it's almost like asking who makes the best box call. There are some good crow calls being made today, where as 10 years ago the choices were few. I own a pile of Darrell Gibson's, some of Bob Buckners, Chad Scruggs, a couple of Battey's and just received one from Anthony Ellis. Anthony just started making a few and I'll have to say it is a mighty fine crow caller. You won't go wrong with the names mentioned in this post. If you are looking for wooden tone boards, Gibson and Buckner both make good wooden mouth piece calls. The only regret I have about Unicoi is that I didn't come home with one of Daryal's (bow guy) crow calls. He's another fine student of Darrell Gibson.
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

NCbowjunkie

Mark ,send me a pm with address and something will come your way, I ment to hand out some calls at Unicoi but it being my first time there I was overwhelmed at all the great call makers and their work.

mgm1955

As Mark said bunch of good names here. Won't go wrong with any of them.

gaswamp

suprised nobody has mentioned jack Mincey

Rzrbac

I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of call I get. I think I am gonna try to call some crows up when I start shed hunting. 

Rzrbac

Forgot....Bowguy that's a beautiful call.

NCbowjunkie

Thanks Rzrbac, Gibson showed me the trick to get the Purple Heart over the sycamore . Hope u enjoy it the Purple Heart was left over from a recurve bow that I built

Lonehowl

You build bows? If you have any pics of em Id like to see em? PM me if you want.
Love recurves, or any trad bow actually.
Mark

NCbowjunkie

Yes I build longbows and recurves . I had a few at Unicoi . When I get this loading pictures to forum down pat I will post pictures. I build laminated bows and use bamboo and carbon core  I'm building one now that will have some of the new stabil-kore foam with bamboo..it is a one piece 62" deflex/reflex design with cocobola and Birdseye maple riser and Osage orange outer limb laminates under clear glass. I can text or send by email ,I just haven't got the uploading pic to site figured out yet.

Lonehowl

Would love to see em, my email is:
lonehowl67@gmail.com

Thanks!
Mark

M Sharpe

Here are a couple pics that Darrell Gibson asked me to post up. They are his new stubby design. Don't let that word stubby fool ya. These things have a mighty big sound and are all crow., with the exception of the one owl hooter..it's all owl!!

Curley Red Oak, Oak Burl, Honey Locust and Arkansas Walnut......

African Blackwood, Cherry Burl, Cherry Burl Hooter and Arkansas Walnut
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!