turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Remington's 870 sps turkey/predator

Started by Bedlinedf250, January 31, 2017, 07:02:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bedlinedf250

Is anybody shooting this gun? I just picked it up a few weeks ago and have been dieing to get some rounds out of it. Unfortunately the weather here hasn't let me get it out as much as I'd prefer. I've only taken it out once and put a box of Remington nitro 3 1/2 #4. If anybody has this gun I'm interested to see what kind of rounds it likes, I know every gun is particular but it doesn't hurt to try what others are responding good with. My area doesn't have a big selection either it's either the nitros or long reads. I've heard great things with the long breards and will probably be trying those out, but I also like federal as a company I usually have good success with them. I particularly interested in the federal mag shocks. I just need a starting point to see what my gun likes to shoot.

nyhunter

I have this exact gun, Currently i'm shooting H-13 3" and 3 1/2" #6's. with an original Jelly head 660. i'm getting 180-190's with 3",  210's-220 with 3 1/2".. you'll love the sure shot stock.

kyturkeyhunter4

Nice looking shotgun, I really like that stock

blake_08

My wonderful wife got me one of those for christmas. Like you, I'm super anxious to get out and do some patterning but haven't gotten the chance yet. I've did a lot of reading on this site and others, and based on my research, the shorter barrels like a tighter constriction choke. I've got a jellyhead .660 on order but I'm also going to pattern the wingmaster hd .670 choke that came with the gun. From what i've read, everyone who owns that gun loves it. Congratulations on yours!

1iagobblergetter

I'd try some H-13 6s and 7s. I've had Goodluck over the years with these... From what I hear on O.G. I wouldn't be afraid to try the Longbeards also and am going to try them myself in 3in 1 7/8 #6s....in my Gobbler max 870 I had Goodluck with the Original Jelly head chokes  in .660 and .665.

Bedlinedf250

What are you guys paying for a box of hevi 13's. I just checked cheaper than dirt as a quite point and $31/ box of 5. I better be killing a flock with one shot for that price. No wonder why on my other post a guy said some say turkey hunting is like elk hunting for the rich man. I pay $40 for 20 bullets which will give me 100's of pounds of meat. $31 for 5 and returns 20 if lucky. I gotta shoot something cheaper. Long beards you get $24 for 10 shots is the most I'm willing to pay. My wife would flip if she knew I paid $6.25 a shot. Can anybody recommend a cheaper bullet.

greencop01

:camohat: I have the same gun three years now four shots, four toms. I use the Predator/Turkey Rem choke that came with the gun with Federal 3rd Degree, and I haven't looked back. Birds hardly move after being shot. Couldn't be happier. Haven't used my pruners since I have the gun, that 21 inch barrel is great. Walking thru the woods and brush, no more hang-ups. Best thing I ever did for turkey hunting except for a couple of Marlin Watkins longboxes. :z-guntootsmiley:
We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

Greg Massey

I would look at the Federal 3 rd degree or the Winchester long beard XR , you can kill any turkey you want with a 3 inch shell...

1iagobblergetter

Quote from: Bedlinedf250 on January 31, 2017, 06:34:08 PM
What are you guys paying for a box of hevi 13's. I just checked cheaper than dirt as a quite point and $31/ box of 5. I better be killing a flock with one shot for that price. No wonder why on my other post a guy said some say turkey hunting is like elk hunting for the rich man. I pay $40 for 20 bullets which will give me 100's of pounds of meat. $31 for 5 and returns 20 if lucky. I gotta shoot something cheaper. Long beards you get $24 for 10 shots is the most I'm willing to pay. My wife would flip if she knew I paid $6.25 a shot. Can anybody recommend a cheaper bullet.
My feelings and justification for shooting HTL are it's not duck hunting almost always it's one shot turkey down. Between my son and I we shot 4 big Toms and shot 4 times total last spring,the rest is our guns like and pattern well with them. I like the fact that I can shoot 7s and weight wise they are close to 5s in lead for weight.I think the biggest cost is in the initial process of patterning. I am going to look into patterning some longbeards just because I like tinkering when I have time,but will probably stick with my HTL...It's pretty much whatever your comfortable with that will ethically do the job consistently.

TN Beard Buster

I've had this exact gun for three or four years now! After several tests, the combo that works best for me is, an Indian Creek .665 choke with 3 1/2" Longbeard Xr 5's. I get about 80% pattern in a 20" circle at 40 yards. On major change I made was swapping out the red dot scope for rings and a Nikon turkey pro scope. It's just a personal preference for me as I don't care for battery powered sights and I wear bifocals and I can see better thru a low magnified scope! You'll love the gun and the maneuverability in tight cover!! Good luck and God Bless!!

Number17

Get a cheap Truglo GSX choke and shoot 4,5,or 6 Longbeards.

That choke shoots everything I feed it very well. I don't have any desire to count pellets in a circle, but the patterns are always very even with similar density in all directions.
It's fun to watch #4s pattern like #6s did just 10 years ago
#Gun
#Shells
#couple calls

Bedlinedf250

I shot this Sunday and been having a Hassel trying to post pics I have several more. This was done with long beard 3" shot size #5. Does this look like a dead turkey.

1iagobblergetter

How many yards?What choke? Looks like the best of your pattern is to the right. I'd either try a different choke or some #6s...if you look at the green vitals of your target you only have one bb teetering on the line...

Bedlinedf250

Yardage was 40-45 yards, I say that cause I didn't think the laser was correct and took a few steps back. The gun is completely stock no changes what so ever. I have another pic that shows more vital hits but it to big to post the pic. I wanna try a few more shots before I change the choke. After this weekend I'll should have a few more pics. Plus I wanna be shooting 3 1/2" but haven't came across any in my area, I just went and ordered a couple boxes today.

Bedlinedf250

Here's a second pic. Dead bird or no??