OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Mark twain southern Missouri?

Started by slave601, January 30, 2017, 12:17:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slave601

Anyone hunting mark twain this year? Been pretty successful the past couple seasons. Not sure how the numbers will be this year
"thinnin the flock"

Ozark870Hunter

I'll be hunting MTNF along with my 2 farms near Salem and Licking. Nothing beats southern MO in the spring for turkey, mushrooms, and trout!
United Front Armory
Custom built firearms
Top quality cerakote applications
https://www.facebook.com/UnitedFrontArmory/

turkey harvester

They said numbers were up some. I've seen a few flocks but nothing like I thought I would see,but that's subject to change. Nothing like a gobble rolling off them hills.
TURKEY NUT CUSTOM STRIKERS- Jeffrey Thompson-Owner.  Kathleen,GA
Hunt with your kids, not for them.

slave601

Heard a good bit of birds last year. Jake sightings were pretty good last year so it should be a good one this spring
"thinnin the flock"

turkey harvester

There were a ton of jakes last year. Hopefully they like to talk.

Greg Massey

Hunted several years ago in The Mark Twain National Forest and the Iris Wilderness out of Alton Missouri. I can remember those opening morning you would hear so many gobblers you would stand in one spot trying to decide which gobbler too hunt....those were the days...We camped on the Eleven Point River..

Meadow Valley Man

I'll be hunting the Mark Twain this spring for the 32nd consecutive year. It was only going to be a one time deal with my father, but that didn't happen.  He enjoyed 17 springs in the Ozarks, taking his last gobbler in 2001 at the age of 83. We met so many great people throughout the years that it's like a family reunion every spring. It's not so much about the killing now, although we still do well. Only two and one half months to go!

turkey harvester

Greg, turkeys in the morning and smallies and trout on the eleven point is hard to beat. Doesn't seem like as many people hunt the wilderness like they used to. We take the gravel from my house, through some of wilderness, on our way to Alton, great drive.

Greg Massey

Quote from: turkey harvester on January 30, 2017, 07:22:57 PM
Greg, turkeys in the morning and smallies and trout on the eleven point is hard to beat. Doesn't seem like as many people hunt the wilderness like they used to. We take the gravel from my house, through some of wilderness, on our way to Alton, great drive.
Hey and have you a bread sack with you for the moral mushrooms...

turkey harvester

Quote from: Greg Massey on January 30, 2017, 07:56:44 PM
Quote from: turkey harvester on January 30, 2017, 07:22:57 PM
Hey and have you a bread sack with you for the moral mushrooms...
Never leave home without one when they start showing up.

Big perm2

I've been hunt MTNF since 97 and the first year I hunted there I heard over 30 birds that first morning. In 2000 I killed my biggest bird ever. 25lbs 1 3/8 spurs 12.5 inch beard that was four fingers wide. I will be headed there the end of the first week this year also m. Can't wait

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greg Massey

Quote from: Big perm2 on January 31, 2017, 09:56:20 PM
I've been hunt MTNF since 97 and the first year I hunted there I heard over 30 birds that first morning. In 2000 I killed my biggest bird ever. 25lbs 1 3/8 spurs 12.5 inch beard that was four fingers wide. I will be headed there the end of the first week this year also m. Can't wait

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hey me and my hunting buddy would leave work around lunch on Friday and drive to Alton Missouri camp in the back of his S10 Truck that had a camper top on it and hunt sat morning and Sunday morning and drive back home in Tenn...Those were the early days...agree on standing in one spot and hearing 30 birds at a time...

Tom Threetoes

My younger brother lives just a couple miles or less from the MTNF. I've been trying to get him to scout it out for me but he has no interest in turkey hunting, I guess I need to pay him a visit. LOL

Greg Massey

Quote from: Tom Threetoes on February 01, 2017, 10:08:34 AM
My younger brother lives just a couple miles or less from the MTNF. I've been trying to get him to scout it out for me but he has no interest in turkey hunting, I guess I need to pay him a visit. LOL
Yes, if you can check it out...great place to hunting...

2eagles

MTNF is made up of several pieces. On my way to a funeral last week near Van Buren, we saw a nice flock of birds crossing the road. Made me think about going down to hunt this  Spring.