turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Turkey hunting chair

Started by SwampSniper, January 29, 2017, 12:56:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampSniper

Hey guys, just had a successful hip replacement back in the fall. Haven't tried sitting on the ground yet. Not sure if I should go that low. Any advice on potentially getting a small chair/seat for this spring? I see that there are many options and I wonder if a lounger at 9" off the ground would work or should I try something that sits higher, maybe 13-17" off ground.

Any and all input welcome.

1iagobblergetter

Glad to hear your on the mend. Like they say in limbo how low can you go??? Things to probably take into consideration are how well you've mended and how much do you move. If you sit for long periods of time you might be able to go low once or twice but if you move spots alot it might be more than you can handle and you might want a little more height.

MK M GOBL

You may have a few options, You could do a taller chair and pop up a light weight mesh stick type blind, I hunted with one for a few years until I went Double Bull, but the weight (size of a good gobbler at 23lbs) of one may be more than your back could take... A lot would depend on where and how you hunt and your access to those spots. I have several hunt spots that we can take the quad into and setup days before hunt day, even do a few double blind sets when hunting more than one at a time.

MK M GOBL

SwampSniper

Season is still a few weeks out. I will start experimenting on how low I can go and will plan for a chair once I have my idea on how low.

Appreciate the comments and best of luck to you this season

Greg Massey

With just having hip replacement , i wouldn't think you will want a chair on the ground. Your age could play a part in deciding on the chair also...good luck, and glad your doing good after surgery ...

mwr

wvmntnhick

Might I suggest something that may get me flogged? I've got a one man chair blind that I like a lot for deer hunting in semi open terrain where there aren't enough good trees to pick from when wanting to hang a stand. Not going to lie, it's going to be a touch tight and your visibility is going to be cut down but it's very comfortable and will conceal your movements if need be.

captpete

I bought something similar to this last year on clearance at Walmart for when I take the wife. It's light weight and rolls up into a small little package that will fit easily into the gamepouch on your vest.  It might just be the ticket so you can use a little taller chair.
https://www.primos.com/products/stake-out-blind/up-n-down-stakeout-blind/

Good luck this season a be sure to post some pics of your success. :you_rock:

Cut N Run

Quote from: captpete on January 29, 2017, 07:19:19 PM
I bought something similar to this last year on clearance at Walmart for when I take the wife. It's light weight and rolls up into a small little package that will fit easily into the gamepouch on your vest.  It might just be the ticket so you can use a little taller chair.
https://www.primos.com/products/stake-out-blind/up-n-down-stakeout-blind/

Good luck this season a be sure to post some pics of your success. :you_rock:

I got this same blind that I used on a steep hillside without much cover last year.  It worked great.

All the chairs I use are pretty low slung, so I have no suggestions or experience with those.  Good luck with your recovery and using whatever you decide to go with.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

SteelerFan

Ol timer

Don't waste your money on a cheap lounge chair. I have gotten two different company models and both broke within only a few hunts they are held together with pop rivets any shift in body weight and it will snap. I got a beach chair that just as low as a lounge chair only stronger made out of 1 in tube alum, i painted the nylon webbing in camo and added a shoulder carry strap. 

TauntoHawk

Quote from: SteelerFan on January 30, 2017, 06:58:11 AM
When I was searching for a chair, I gave this some serious consideration:

http://deadringerhunting.com/product/hammock/

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008RSVIIK/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_iMYJybQZZFWZZ

Might be just what you need.

I found one of these super cheap on groupon.. So here is my review

You can control the height by where you set it on the tree. Ultimately though it will have to be a good bit higher than a traditional lounger and it creates a bigger profile when using one than a lounger

It needs a decent size tree to spread out and work properly if the tree is too narrow the sling seat doesn't get wide enough to be comfortable. Its takes a little to set up and get adjusted to the right height for comfort not long but a minute or two which isn't long but not like folding open a lounger either.

Comfort when set up just right is really good and you can silently pivot in it a bit to peer around over each shoulder not something that can be done in a lounger at all.

Ultimately it didn't suite what I wanted for turkeys but I absolutely love the thing for rifle and muzzleloader hunting deer from the ground. For turkey I wasn't sure I wanted to be tied to needing a tree for set ups either for deer in the timber that isn't a problem.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Tail Feathers

If the Gobbler Lounger is too low I'd recommend finding a folding "bag chair" in camo to use.   It's basically a tall lounger anyway.  Try to find one that sits a little lower than average maybe.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

HFultzjr

Quote from: SteelerFan on January 30, 2017, 06:58:11 AM
When I was searching for a chair, I gave this some serious consideration:

http://deadringerhunting.com/product/hammock/

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008RSVIIK/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_iMYJybQZZFWZZ

Might be just what you need.

I have one of these and love it...............
for deer hunting!

However it is too noisy for my liking for turkey hunting, especially when the fabric is cold. Noisy against the tree also. Not very noisy mind you. Ok for a deer 50 yards and out. But I think a turkey would hear me at any reasonable distance.

I would suggest a blind and a comfortable chair. You will be able to move a little when you get "cramped" and you won't "strain" yourself and get laid up. Take it easy, there is always next year!
Just my opinion.

SwampSniper

Wow, thanks for all the replies. I'll circle back up with you all once I pick a chair.