turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Swamp hunters!!!!!

Started by strutnva, January 23, 2017, 07:06:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

strutnva

I'm heading south this spring and will be in a very wet area.  What type of boots do you prefer and how do you tackle the water issue?  Some seem to use knee high rubber and dump them out I guess, others seem to use regular boots and just get wet.  Just wanting to get a feel for the most common approach.  Thanks guys.

dirt road ninja

littlebull

need to get your hands on some hip boots
The old coon walks a late log

davisd9

I wear a rubber boot and if crossing something higher than the boot I take them and my socks off then roll up my pant legs and go. Sometimes a nice dip feels good down here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

M Sharpe

I prefer to wear snake boots during my season here in south GA. I just keep going! Invest in a boot dryer too.
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: M Sharpe on January 23, 2017, 07:58:31 AM
I prefer to wear snake boots during my season here in south GA. I just keep going! Invest in a boot dryer too.
x10. your feet is gonna get wet. I guess we just are use to it down here. when you get back to camp , put them on a boot dryer and air out those puppies. you will be good to go the next morning.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

tha bugman

Lacross Grange knee and hip boots...just got to be mindful of water level...how it can fluctuate and where you are going....

Candyman

Grange boots are really good. Also carry a couple of black garbage bags in your pocket or vest. You can cross a creek just like you had on hip boots. Once across the water shake them off and you are ready to go.

catman529

I don't know if cottonmouths are a problem where you're going, but here in mid TN they are not common so if I'm going to a swampy area and it's not cold out, I sometimes just wear my crocs flip flops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jbird22

If you're hunting a true swamp, it's likely that your feet are going to get wet no matter what. With that said, if you're not wearing snake boots then I'd advise wearing some earth tone color tennis shoes (I prefer low cut brown Skechers) and just embrace getting wet. Personally, I don't like lugging around the extra water in rubber boots.

If you do prefer wearing snake boots, be sure you invest in a boot dryer like others have suggested.

FullChoke

I wear Muck Fieldblazer Knee high boots. They grip your calves and won't automatically fill up with water if you step off into a deep spot. Ridiculously comfortable.

FC

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Cove

Depends on how much water you're dealing with. In South Florida I normally where Crocs. I'm in and out of water so much I'd spend half the day putting bags over my legs or trying not to go over the rubber boots. If the water is very sporadic, I've taken the crocs in the back of my vest and just swapped over when I had to cross.

I learned many moons ago that when hunting around water I was spending WAY to much time trying to keep my feet dry especially when moving on a gobbling bird. I decided then I'd rather carry a turkey with wet feet than arrive home dry.

TauntoHawk

a pair of mucks and really light weight pair of rain pants with a good strap on the bottom cuff. You can get a pair of cabelas space rain paints they are like 8oz and the size of a beer can rolled up. full zips let you put them on quick with your boots on and velco cuff will let you get them tight. cross the deep water even if its above your boots the pants will hold the water out from a quick crossing.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

backwater

Quote from: tha bugman on January 23, 2017, 10:50:45 AM
Lacross Grange knee and hip boots...just got to be mindful of water level...how it can fluctuate and where you are going....
X2.

augasman

I don't know if they still make them, but muck boots used to make a pair of knee high boots that has extra material that rolled up to about mid thigh level. It was the same material as canvas waders. After crossing it can be rolled back down and fastened. I had a pair that I used for duck hunting and they were pretty handy.