turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Hunting With A Bow

Started by AC HAMMER, January 22, 2017, 05:14:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AC HAMMER

Really considering hunting with a bow this Spring in Ohio. Although I've killed plenty of birds with a shotgun I have never taken a bird with my bow. Any tips/advice would be appreciated. Things I am looking into are broadheads, decoy setup, head shot vs. body shot etc. Thanks!

:turkey2:

dirt road ninja

I use old rocket buck blasters without the fix blades installed. Any big mechanical head will work that flies well. I put my dekes at 12-15 yards. Hitting them high is better than low. 

guesswho

I tried it 3 or 4 years ago.   I just used my deer set-up.  I was familar with it and saw no need to make any changes.   I went with no decoys or blinds.  Only thing I did different was take my bow instead of my gun.   
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Dtrkyman

I use large mechanical head or bullheads, when I blind hunt I set my decoys no further than 10 yards and usually closer, I use a stuffer hen and a dsd jake mostly, sometimes my full strut mount as well.

If going the no blind route I try and get a blocker tree between me and where the bird is coming from so I can draw when they go behind it. I went bow only for about 9 years but now I go back and forth, just something about shooting them in the face with the smoke pole!!!

30_06

I use the big cut Grim Reaper mechanicals or the Guillotines depending if I'm going for a body or head shot. Typically when using the Guillotines (or equivalent) you need a different/longer arrow to get good arrow flight. If going for a body shot it is typically better to hit them high rather than low.
Using a ground blind big enough to draw helps to conceal movement. It is not a requirement,  but it is easier. I typically put decoys about 5 yards away.

Esse quam videri

MK M GOBL

We have killed a number of birds with the bow, we do use blinds, decoys and videoing the hunt... We have found a knee pad useful for the shot, once the bird is working we fold the chair and on the knees for the shot. Decoys are set 5-10 yards and use anything from the Strutter (5 dekes) and flock down to a single. One big thing we take body shots and pin the hips, right through top of drumsticks and birds has no legs, can't walk and can't fly with out them.

MK M GOBL

turkeyfoot

If I'm with bow its head shot only either kill or clean misss no crippled birds. If you choose body shots really do your homework on vitals the position on shot can change depending on how the bird is standing the feathers fool lot people and practice practice

Ishi

My advice is to buy a good blind and hunt out of it. Sure you are less mobile but good decoys and knowledge on how to use a call you will kill turkeys.
Put the decoys close and you will have a blast when turkeys are just feet away  :anim_25:
The Spirit Lives On

ClayW

All good advice here

I'd add to do plenty of scouting and be patient. Do your homework, pick a plan and stick to it. Bowhunting turkeys is a blast!

https://youtu.be/PJSe4ujmAMw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kyturkeyhunter4

I would recommend trying a ground blind, you can get away with a little more movement. And I use my regular deer set up. I use a 3 blade muzzy trocar that broadhead seems to work just fine. And for me on the head vs the body shot I like to position my decoys where the turkey faces away from me and I like to shot the bird in full strut facing away. I've never lost a bird shooting them there, most the time the bird falls in sight not far from your decoys. Plus shooting the bird there gives you a little bigger target to shoot at.

beakbuster10

Get a good blind that's quick and easy to setup. Barronett makes the best blinds for the money in my opinion. Don't skimp on decoys. I'd leave every call I had at home before I left without dekes to bowhunt turkeys. 1/2 strut Jake over a hen has been a great setup for me. Keep the dekes under 10 yards. Find strut zones or fields birds are frequenting. Be there early and set that blind in the highest point of the field so birds can see your dekes from everywhere. Don't bother brushing in the blind, turkeys don't care. Get a good blind chair and shoot head lopping broadheads. You either kill or miss, no crippled birds. Also, the blind hog pack system is invaluable. You can carry everything I just mentioned in one pack. Bowhunting turkeys is a different ball game than run and gun, but it forces you to be more patient and stationary which leads to more dead birds. Good luck!

SKYNET KC

I've had bad luck with mechanicals in the past. So much that I went exclusively fixed blades the last few years, until last spring. I went with the "gobbler getters" from NAP. A large diameter mechanical broadhead is devastating, and when your vitals are the size of a grapefruit, you need all the help you can get.

"Hit them high and watch them die. Hit them low and watch them go." Look at videos on YouTube of turkey vitals. Learn where you need to shoot when they're turned different ways.

I prefer bow hunting with decoys. Any advantage to keep the birds calm is going to help when you draw. That's why I like to have a Jake and a hen decoy out. No reason to put them any further than 20 yards max.

Snuffer

I bowhunted public land bama birds a lot, years ago. No blinds. No decoys. No expandable heads. Killed some, too....but now I'm over it'. I'll take my birdsback to the camp with their noggins full of 4's.... and not worry with chasing wounded birds through the briars. Everyone oughta do it at least once....

I'm not real sure I like the 'new direction' turkey hunting is going.... tent blinds, cameras, decoy spreads....in fact, I'm sure I don't like it. When I get to the point I can't hike the ridges & use my woodsmanship to find birds.... I'll quit, before I sit a blind over a decoy spread....

TauntoHawk

I actually find it interesting how much i have no desire to hunt turkeys with the bow when I am all about archery hunting whitetails.. I guess if they made a separate archery season in the states I'd hunt I would be out there but they style that is mostly used to hunt turkeys with a bow doesn't suite me. I really don't like blinds and waiting games when it comes to turkey
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

catman529

I have tried a few times and come close. During fall bow season I have shot a couple that I didn't recover. The vitals are very small and I'm not the best shot. One day I might take it serious enough to kill a gobbler in the spring with my bow. I don't care much for blinds or decoys myself, just not my style.