OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

REAPING Is Out--New Jersey Is Right.

Started by quavers59, January 20, 2017, 01:01:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

quavers59

This is one game law, I agree with. It is on page 59 of the 2016-17 NJ Hunting and Trapping Digest. Use of a hand-held decoy or a turkey tail on a stick as camo to sneak up on a turkey is prohibited.
     A few years ago- I bought a dvd  showing a hunter crawling out into a field behind a gobbler -tail. Shotgun in one hand and gobbler tail in the other.  I sold that dvd at a yard sale pronto! Even if it is private land-- someone could tresspass and a load of copper-plated 4s would be flying your way. Calling is everything ! What do members here think about-(reaping)?

fallhnt

Just like using a decoy,or a shotgun full of heavy shot or a blind etc. You can get shot. Hunter safety and education are the best tools to keep us safe.
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

dirt road ninja

I have done it a time or two and thoroughly enjoyed it, in fact looking very forward to doing it again. Something very exciting about watching them charge you with reckless abominate. If you don't feel safe doing it, then don't by any means do it. That's why I don't ride motorcycles. Hate to see any type of hunting outlawed.

My fan isn't on a stick, so would I be in compliance with the law?

Happy

Not my idea of hunting and have no interest in trying it.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

nsselle

:deadhorse:

No good, but your choice. I personally wouldn't take the risk

wvmntnhick

Hasn't this been beaten into the ground enough? Seems like this gets brought up quite a bit. I'm not taking shots at anyone in particular but people will hunt the way they want. If others don't like it, don't watch or participate. I've not done it yet but the open fields here certainly lend themselves to the opportunity. Might try it, might not. I'm with DRN on this one. Hate to see anything outlawed. It starts there then they find other ways to take things away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gamblinman

Anyone who wishes harm to others in the turkey woods no matter the situation or consequences needs to sit down and some serious thinking.
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

bbcoach

A couple of things for this: 1. Anyone that shoots at a turkey tail (Fanning) and injures or kills a hunter should be put under a jail and have his or her license revoked for life and here's why, most States require that you kill a bearded bird not shoot at anything that moves or has a fan (Verify the beard!) 2. Just because you don't like or haven't tried some sort of hunting technique doesn't make it off limits or should be outlawed for everyone.  Here in Eastern NC we can hunt deer with dogs, and yes that means using rifles, I've tried it but it's not for me but I'm not going to run out and try to get it banned.  Fallhnt said it best, Hunter Safety, Education and I'll add following your State Regs already in place should be our #1 PRIORITY.  This is the Liberals way of Outlawing something they don't understand, over legislate an issue or not enforcing laws that are already in place.  I've had my say, now bring on the bashing.   

Greg Massey

If you have no reason for safety, then take your changes...I like safety myself...i have a lot more living to do...

renegade19

Just curious, how effective is this method of "hunting"?  Just because it works on TV doesn't really mean a whole lot to me.  I mean I see guys (and girls) that I have generally poor opinions of kill 200" whitetails quite often on some of the so called hunting shows.  We all know it's not quite as easy as the pay as you go high fence ranch stuff makes it out to be.  Really not sure where I stand on this "issue".   I'll hang up and listen now................
:popcorn:

dirt road ninja

Quote from: renegade19 on January 20, 2017, 05:19:58 PM
Just curious, how effective is this method of "hunting"?  Just because it works on TV doesn't really mean a whole lot to me.  I mean I see guys (and girls) that I have generally poor opinions of kill 200" whitetails quite often on some of the so called hunting shows.  We all know it's not quite as easy as the pay as you go high fence ranch stuff makes it out to be.  Really not sure where I stand on this "issue".   I'll hang up and listen now................
:popcorn:

The two times I've utilized a fan it worked great. Not an expert on it, but will gain more knowledge on the subject thru trial and error/success.

hookedspur

Quote from: Greg Massey on January 20, 2017, 05:12:34 PM
If you have no reason for safety, then take your changes...I like safety myself...i have a lot more living to do...

I haven't heard of anyone being hurt in this manner of hunting, but countless other injuries by shooting at sounds .
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Bowguy

Quote from: Treerooster on January 20, 2017, 05:05:10 PM
Quote from: wvmntnhick on January 20, 2017, 04:19:27 PM
Hasn't this been beaten into the ground enough? Seems like this gets brought up quite a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not to my knowledge.

I have not heard of a state outlawing Reaping or stalking with a decoy/fan before. Maybe there is another state the outlawed it???

Have read the Reaping posts which are usually quite heated, but that's not what this post is about.

Maybe the OP made a comment about reaping, but still the post is about a state outlawing it. However it will deteriorate into an argument I am sure.
NJ always outlawed it. You must call the birds. Only this past session did they spell it out further to mention fan on a stick

mwr