OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Turkey hunting naked!

Started by Cutt, April 06, 2011, 08:53:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ericjames

Quote from: redarrow on April 06, 2011, 08:56:13 PM
I prefer to go at it naked. Although it gets painful if you set on an acorn. :toothy12:

And them dang old holly bush leaves,they hurt too

woodchip

I never use a blind if I'm packing a shotgun and still hate hunting in a blind with a bow.  I always pack a single hen decoy but seldom even put it out.

njdevilsb

No blind here, but the decoys are out about 80% of the time.

Trip

I utilize everything. Depending on the scenario, sometimes I go at it NAKED, sometimes I use decoys, and sometimes I use a blind and dekes....I really try and figure out before I hit a certain area which equiptment will be tagging along...Most of the time though it's just me and the tree!

socalturkeyman

If I hunt fields I'll use a decoy but if I hunt the woods or mountain birds I dont. I GO NAKED!!
A shot not taken,is a shot missed!
Juan Galindo-Last Light Taxidermy

Snoody Bastid

Butt nekid. No blind, no decoys. Hell, sometimes I don't even bring a gun..

Ol'Mossy

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Jay

Hunting a variety of land, I carry all that's available in my SUV, and use at times. In certain situations not using a blind or dekes would have sent me home birdless. What I have found in reading responses is some people must have real good land to hunt, ALL the time. I haven't had that luxury. I'd set up in a empty Walmart parking lot if I had to in a blind painted gray with a Pretty Boy and Hen deke, and maybe shoot a bird if they are around. Last year had better land to hunt, and didn't have days that poured rain, so didn't have a blind out the whole season. This year hunted with one of the best hunters I've ever hunted with, and he used a Jake/Hen set up to get me 2 Osceolas on back to back mornings, which is pretty dang good, especially for Osceolas. He took a third one the next morning.

870supermagnum

I almost always hunt naked.  I have used dekes a few times, but wasn't real successful.  Usually I ambush the gobbler or he is hot and comes right in to my call.  I have ambushed more gobblers than I've called within gun range.  I have never used a blind, but I'm considering it because my seven year old grandson has started going with me on occasions.

Spring_Woods

When I first started yeah I used decoys and blinds, now I hunt naked. :D
"Was that a gobble?":gobble:

PANYHunter

I've never used a blind.  I am going to use one of the 2 foot high stake out blinds when I take my 11 year old nephews out this year.  I will sometimes use decoys depending on where I'm hunting.   

natman

I never use a blind. The whole point is to sit and enjoy the outdoors. Killing turkeys is a bonus.  ;D

I used to use decoys sometimes, but I found that while they can be effective, just as often the gobbler will hang up once he sees the "hen" and expect her to come to him. So I stopped using them. Just one less thing to carry.

bayou gobbler

I have never used a blind.  I use decoys sometimes, just depends on the situation.

mudhen

I like blinds for archery & rainy days.  I must admit, a nice cozy blind can be fun sometimes:

I like decoys for field work.

Otherwise, I just run & gun with a vest full of stuff I might need...

mudhen
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka