News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

My 2010 season ended with a BANG!

Started by huntingirl, April 06, 2011, 08:46:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

huntingirl

Hey guys!
It's me, the original HuntinGirl, Bethany!  Life's been hectic but I'm here.  I finished my Master's degree in December but I'm still hunting a career.  

Anyhow, I just want to share my 2010 season ender with y'all.  For one thing, it was my first time tagging out, and also a multiple beard bird.

We had left at lunch time and came back for one last go on the last day.  It was windy as all get out and I was using the woods as cover to help me make my way to my favorite point to check the field.  I crossed from the pines into the hardwoods and was poking my way along when something caught my attention out of the corner of my left eye.  It was a gobbler throwing his head up out in the field.  I thought he saw me because he froze and I froze, and that's when the wind calmed down.  I waited for a gust of wind and dropped to my knees and proceeded to crawl to the edge of the field.  I slowly rose to my knees with my gun ready and I thought he was gone.  That's when 2 hens got nervous and his head popped up right in perfect range.  And BLAM!  Jellyhead.  Apparently there were a bunch of other gobblers in the ditch in the field because turkeys just scattered in every direction, but mine had already hit the dirt.

I was just so excited to have tagged out on the last day of the season that all I could think to do was to praise God for allowing me to take this bird.  I walked over to him and saw that he had nice spurs and a nice thick beard.  I carried him back to the edge of the field to meet my Dad, but he was on the other side of the property, so I just laid my bird down and sat on a tree and thanked God again.  

Then Dad got back and he was all excited and he turned it over and I thought his eyes would bug out of his head.  I said "What?!"  And he said "Bethany, that things got 2 beards!"  I said "No freaking way" and looked, and that's when we saw that he actually had 3 beards!  After we hugged and jumped around hooting and hollering, we took him on to the store and weighed him at 21.2 lbs.
He had more than 27 inches of beard, 10.5, 8.5 and 8.5 inches!
When I scored him according to the NWTF records, he's an even 100.  :)

Needless to say, I can't wait for Saturday!! :fud:
** It's me, the same HuntinGirl from before!**

neal

Congrats on a great bird and a exciting hunt to boot!! Hope this year shakes out just as well!

Neal
Hooks Custom Calls Prostaff member

NWTF Diamond life member, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member, NWTF Nationals Hunting Call Competition Judge, Hooks custom calls striker builder, WI, MN & IA State Friction Calling Champion.

whitelightning

Congrats on a very nice bird!  Wait, your season is over already?  It hasn't even started here yet, I'm not sure if I would like my season being over already.

870FaceLift

Awesome bird there!  Congrats on finishing your Master's degree too! :you_rock:
Pass it on...

huntingirl

Thanks y'all!

Whitelightning:  No, that was my 2010 season ender, our 2011 season starts Saturday.  I can't wait!

Thanks 870!!  It's been a long time coming!

harvester

That was away to end a season right there, especially with bird like that. Congrats on the Masters. Good Luck this year.

unclerick

That is awesome, congrates on a nice bird, I bet both of you are happy,,, :icon_thumright:
Before all else fails,talk to Jesus

Woodsman4God

Thats awesome huntingirl, did you post pics properly, alls I see is red X's

Congrats on your masters

huntingirl

I think I posted the pics right, I can see them.
And thank you!

Jay

Now that was one awesome Tom.  ;D I need that one for the contest. Good luck on 2011.

socalturkeyman

A shot not taken,is a shot missed!
Juan Galindo-Last Light Taxidermy

Basin_hunter

Very Nice ! Congrats on the trophy gobbler and good luck this weekend !
In fall we rut, in spring we strut

Flydown

trkycaller

M,Yingling

Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey