turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Binos for turkey hunting?

Started by turkeykiller22, January 17, 2017, 09:47:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

turkeykiller22

I usually carry some 8x42 binos while turkey hunting. Most people think its crazy but they come in handy as I hunt large fields sometimes. Ive been doing it as long as I can remember, so the weight doesn't bother me like it does others that I hunt with.

Recently, my binos have gotten where they wont focus and the company that made them wont work on them as the line (nitrex) is now discontinued. What binos would your recommend? Im looking to spend no more than $450 and I do not want Nikon as I have had bad experiences in the past.

Thanks for the help!
Drew
Grounded Brand - https://groundedbrand.com/

maytom

I went to Gander Mtn. a few years ago to check on this very topic. After handling several brands and models including the European models, I have found the Bushnell Legends in the 8x30 size almost perfect!!! Less than $400.00............check these out, you may be very surprised!!!

TauntoHawk

Vortex and Zen Ray are my primary optics brands, they have excellent CS with true lifetime warranties and use some of the best glass for the dollar. I can't afford the top top end but I also dont want to under pay for cheap glass and a bad warranty.

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Tail Feathers

Quote from: maytom on January 17, 2017, 10:38:27 AM
I went to Gander Mtn. a few years ago to check on this very topic. After handling several brands and models including the European models, I have found the Bushnell Legends in the 8x30 size almost perfect!!! Less than $400.00............check these out, you may be very surprised!!!
I second that.  I've had mine about 15 years and they are still great.  I've sat or rolled back on them in the back pocket of my vest more times than I care to remember and used them in the deer woods for years.  Still going strong with zero problems.
The lifetime warranty is great too.
Go handle some in the store and make sure Bushnell is among those you try out. :icon_thumright:
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

wvmntnhick

For the turkey fields I prefer a compact set of Nikons but they were bought for me as a gift. If I were buying a new set for myself, I'd seriously reach for a set of Vortex. Good glass for the money.

Double B

I just got some Steiner 8x30 mm for deer season.  Really like them for my hunting needs.  Compared everything below 400 at bass pro.  For around half that they are hard to beat imo. 
Followed by buzzards

GSLAM95

Drew I want you to consider this, you had a pair that I don't know what you spent $ on but you are wanting to buy another pair now for around $450.  Will they last you a lifetime without needing repair or a good cleaning?  I doubt it for that kind of coin.
I bit the bullet years ago and saved up for a pair of Swarovski pocket binos and they are my go to glass for almost every hunting scenario imaginable.  Free cleanings and repairs forever, the kindest customer service staff I have ever dealt with.  Try a pair at low light and I'll bet they out perform just about any full size bino you pick up for $450.
I am not affiliated with Swarovski in any way, just simply hunt hard and believe in promoting good products.
Good luck no matter what you decide.

Apologizing:  does not always mean you are wrong and the other person is right. 
It just means that you value your relationship more than your ego.

Greg Massey

For turkey hunting i use Vortex 10 x 28 compact....i don't like a big pair for turkey hunting....deer hunting different story...vortex 10 x 42, all Diamondback...looking thru Vortex binos is like watching HD on the TV...

slwayne

I've been using Nikon Monarch 3 10 x 42 for the past few seasons and really like them but a bit large/heavy for the turkey woods.  I just picked up Vortex Diamondback 8 x 28 for $100 in the bargain cave at the local Cabela's.  Strictly an impulse buy.  Had been checking them out for $140 based on positive reviews here and elsewhere but talked myself out of it because I already had the Nikons.  Found myself chilling in bargain cave this weekend while the wife was going through the clothes racks.  Looked down at the display case where I happened to be standing and there they were for $100.  No review yet because I have had them for like 3 days but I felt OK spending $100 on a set of compacts with good reviews.

Brownie

Diamondback line from Vortex optics. If you are a veteran or law enforcement they offer 40% off.

SKYNET KC

Anything from Vortex will last you a lifetime, because everything they make comes with a lifetime warranty, no questions asked. Run it over with your truck, new pair. Use it as target practice, new pair. Manufacturer defect, new pair or repaired. Attacked by a turkey, new pair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

catdaddy

Quote from: GSLAM95 on January 17, 2017, 11:43:27 AM
Drew I want you to consider this, you had a pair that I don't know what you spent $ on but you are wanting to buy another pair now for around $450.  Will they last you a lifetime without needing repair or a good cleaning?  I doubt it for that kind of coin.
I bit the bullet years ago and saved up for a pair of Swarovski pocket binos and they are my go to glass for almost every hunting scenario imaginable.  Free cleanings and repairs forever, the kindest customer service staff I have ever dealt with.  Try a pair at low light and I'll bet they out perform just about any full size bino you pick up for $450.
I am not affiliated with Swarovski in any way, just simply hunt hard and believe in promoting good products.

Spot On!

Gobble!

jblackburn

I got a pair of vortex diamond 10x42 for Christmas, I can't wait to use them. In the past I've used a small compact pair of Nikons
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

MK M GOBL

Quote from: GSLAM95 on January 17, 2017, 11:43:27 AM

Agreed!

I have a couple of pairs of Swaro's, The first pair were 8.5x42's EL's and were the first pair of high end glass I had ever bought and about 10 years ago. Recently I ran into a great deal on a pair of 10x32 SLC's and yes found them for lees than $450!! these are my go to for turkey and bow, great glass and fit in my turkey and bow packs. Once you have a pair of quality glass you'll be amazed by the details you see.

MK M GOBL